Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

flavr

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 9, 2011
Anybody else considering squeezing one more generation out of their iPad 1? I was considering an iPad 4 but then realized my iPad 1 still works GREAT, battery still strong too...and for what I use it for (mostly web, movies, some games) perfect. Sure could use a slight speed boost and retina is NICE but not $650 worth it nice (gotta get 32). So I decided to wait one more generation for refreshed full size iPad or maybe retina MINI...it's kinda fun seeing how much life I can squeeze out of this iPad...going on 3 flawless years, used everyday

Anybody else looking to squeeze more life outta iPad 1 or even 2??..Thanks!

HazyCloud

macrumors 68030
Jun 30, 2010
I don't have either 1 or 2, but it's nice to see these threads. People were up in arms when the 4th gen iPad was announced like their devices would just stop working. Thanks for posting this.

apple-ette

macrumors member
Jul 29, 2009
I also have 1st Gen iPad. It still suites my needs. I won't be getting a newer one any time soon. Sure I'd like a faster, prettier new one, but as you said, it isn't worth the $$ to me.

joshsand66

macrumors newbie
Jun 3, 2009
Ipad gen 1

My Gen 1 ipad is still going strong.
I "Handbrake" a lot of movies and lodge in VLC app for watching later.
Its still great. Best for multiple e-mail accounts too.

reckless2k2

macrumors 6502a
Jul 10, 2008
I have an iPad2 that's just fine for the family at home. I had the original iPad but only upgraded to get a Facetime camera.

The iPad2 has not really gotten long in the tooth by any means. We use it for web surfing, email, and video. It works just fine for this. Airplay is nice as well.

JonnyIreland

macrumors 6502a
Mar 10, 2010
Toronto, Canada
I have a release day 1st gen 32+3G iPad... It still works flawlessly and looks really good also... Although this week I am finally going to pick up either Mini or 4th gen.

I love my 1st gen though.... When I emigrated to Canada in summer 2010, the iPad was my only internet-equipped item and was my main link back to Ireland etc, so I could never sell it for sentimental reasons.

klover

macrumors 6502a
Jun 7, 2009
My girlfriend has a first-gen and is going to put one more year into it and get the (presumably) revised iPad 5.

For her, it has esentially been an email and Netflix terminal so neither application would have improved much under the later models.

Those first-gen models were built like tanks.

northernbaldy

macrumors 6502a
Jan 13, 2010
the north, UK
I've had a first gen since launch day in the uk and its still going strong
Don't get me wrong, it's not perfect, there is a white splodge on the screen, safari crashes and the keyboard can be laggy
But, I still use it EVERY day :)

Izzybeff

macrumors member
Feb 11, 2010
I had been using my 1st gen. iPad up until last Friday when my mini came. I had never upgraded because I was waiting for something smaller, so I knew when the mini came out I was for sure getting one. My 1st gen. iPad still works perfectly and I wouldn't have upgraded yet if they hadn't come out with the mini.

So I put my iPad up for sale yesterday, 32 GB, wifi + 3G and sold it for $325 this morning.

Do you think that was a decent price? I had looked to see what they were selling for on ebay and they seemed to be in the $325-$350 range, so that's what I asked for.

dukebound85

macrumors Core
Jul 17, 2005
5045 feet above sea level
I had been using my 1st gen. iPad up until last Friday when my mini came. I had never upgraded because I was waiting for something smaller, so I knew when the mini came out I was for sure getting one. My 1st gen. iPad still works perfectly and I wouldn't have upgraded yet if they hadn't come out with the mini.

So I put my iPad up for sale yesterday, 32 GB, wifi + 3G and sold it for $325 this morning.

Do you think that was a decent price? I had looked to see what they were selling for on ebay and they seemed to be in the $325-$350 range, so that's what I asked for.

thats a really good price. I wouldnt have expected to get anything over 200 personally

CoMoMacUser

macrumors 65816
Jun 28, 2012
I bought an iPad 1 about a month after it came out. Still using it, although I recently bought an MBA because the iPad isn't practical for anything involving typing. It's not just that typing on glass sucks. It's also that the memory is so limited that if you open a second Safari tab to copy something, when you come back to the first tab to paste it, you've lost what you've written because the page has to load.

No plans to get an iPad 4 or any future version, or any other tablet. It was a nice experiment, but a laptop is a better fit for my mobile computing needs. I'll use the iPad 1 for browsing, streaming music and checking email until it's no longer functional.

temna

macrumors 6502a
May 5, 2008
I'm still rocking the 64GB first gen, but I have a 64GB LTE mini on order because I want iOS 6. If I could have installed iOS 6 on the 1st gen, I'd be a happy $800 richer boy (damn AppleCare+). =)

zhenya

macrumors 604
Jan 6, 2005
I just upgraded my iPad 1 to the 4th gen and it was worth the money. We will keep the first gen around for the kids, but for me it had gotten to the point that I found myself using my iMac for most stuff rather than the iPad, which was frustratingly slow and irritating that it had to constantly reload web pages and couldn't even really run two programs at the same time.

Going to the 4 is a huge upgrade - it really feels much more like a 'real' computer than the extremely limited iPad 1.

PantherJeep

macrumors member
Jun 24, 2010
Oceanside, CA
Another iPad 1 owner here. It still does most of what I need it to do reasonably well, but it's definitely starting to struggle with newer apps - games especially. Also, the lack of IOS6 is annoying. I'm thinking it's time to upgrade, but will probably wait until after the holidays.

panda bear

macrumors 68000
Apr 5, 2010
I gave my iPad 1 to a friend of mine who isn't extremely into technology..

She still uses it to this day like it's the coolest thing that was ever invented.

ThatsMeRight

macrumors 68020
Sep 12, 2009
Anybody else considering squeezing one more generation out of their iPad 1? I was considering an iPad 4 but then realized my iPad 1 still works GREAT, battery still strong too...and for what I use it for (mostly web, movies, some games) perfect. Sure could use a slight speed boost and retina is NICE but not $650 worth it nice (gotta get 32). So I decided to wait one more generation for refreshed full size iPad or maybe retina MINI...it's kinda fun seeing how much life I can squeeze out of this iPad...going on 3 flawless years, used everyday

Anybody else looking to squeeze more life outta iPad 1 or even 2??..Thanks!
Wow, nice. I upgraded to an iPad 3 in March this year (from an iPad 1). I wouldn't like to go back to an iPad 1 at all, but I think one more year should be do-able.

I think you're lucky that iOS 6 is more like an iOS 5.2 and doesn't offer anything really new. It makes the extra one year more acceptable.

bigjnyc

macrumors 604
Apr 10, 2008
I think its really cool that you are still going strong with your iPad 1... I would definitely wait one more generation. I think you might see a re-design with the next iPad to bring it more in line with the iPad mini and iPhone 5 look.

crazydawg807

macrumors newbie
Aug 22, 2011
I'm still using my iPad 1st gen. Got it when the iPad 2 came out (found it on sale). I use it almost every day, but I plan on upgrading to the 4th gen in the next week or so. I feel like the A6 chip and retina display will definitely be worth it.

Kayakphotos

macrumors member
Nov 7, 2012
Naples, FL
I have one that I let my son use to watch Netflix and play a few games. My wife uses it for web viewing as well.

I like my mini much better in general, but the gen 1 gets the job done.

Ih8reno

macrumors 65816
Aug 10, 2012
A cousin of mine took my ipad 1 gen when I bought my 3. She still uses it everyday to read books, surf the web and check email. Still a very useful device!

hAndrew

macrumors newbie
Oct 12, 2011
Great question, I was considering it

This is a great question, I was considering this at length. I got an iPad 1 on day 1 (it felt risky then, but in hindsight what a great decision of course!).

In the end, as others e.g. zhenya said, I realized it was time when I started preferring other things. E.g. I would be on the couch, with both iPhone 4S and the iPad 1 in range ... I would choose the 4S to get my question answered, because of either Siri, or more likely, performance of Safari.

Anyway I feel pretty happy with how much I squeezed out of it!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.