Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old Nov 20, 2012, 04:34 PM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot

Kids and Adults Want iPads More Than Anything Else This Holiday Season

According to a survey done by Nielsen, U.S. consumers aged 6-12 are significantly more interested in purchasing Apple's iOS products over the next 6 months. The new Nintendo Wii U took the #2 spot, but lagged well behind the iPad. Meanwhile, the iPod Touch, iPad Mini and the iPhone rounded out the rest of the top 5 most wanted products for this age group.

Quote:
Approximately half the children surveyed expressed interest in the full-sized iPad (up from 44% last year), and 36 percent in the new iPad Mini. The iPod Touch and iPhone are also coveted devices among these young consumers (36% and 33%, respectively). Kids are also likely to ask for dedicated gaming hardware this holiday, with 39 percent excited to own Nintendo's just-released console offering, Wii U, and 29 percent indicating they want a device from that company's portable DS family. Microsoft's Xbox 360 and Sony's PlayStation 3 also proved appealing, with approximately one-quarter of kids 6-12 saying they want these high definition consoles.
Nielsen also surveyed persons aged 13+ and found the iPad also topped that list. The remainder of the 13+ year old list was less dramatically in favor of Apple than the 6-12 year old group.

In a separate survey of (presumably) adults, Reuters found that one third of U.S. consumers were thinking of buying a tablet this holiday season. Amongst those who wanted a tablet, the iPad was again the most popular with 25% of respondents planning to purchase one. Second and third place went to the Kindle (15%) and Samsung (15%) tablets. Finally, Apple's new iPad mini came in at 8% amongst respondents.

Article Link: Kids and Adults Want iPads More Than Anything Else This Holiday Season
MacRumors is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20, 2012, 04:36 PM   #2
Gnomepatrol
macrumors member

I want to buy an Apple TV no one said ever.

Seriously they need to either get some go on the Apple TV or drop it.
Gnomepatrol is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20, 2012, 04:48 PM   #3
gnasher729
macrumors G5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnomepatrol View Post

Regarding Apple TV, Apple has so far delivered everything they promised. On the other hand, they haven't actually promised anything. We have seen rumors, we have seen rather clueless analysts, there have been endless discussions, but Apple hasn't actually announced or promised anything.
gnasher729 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20, 2012, 09:14 PM   #4
charlituna
macrumors G3

Quote:

They don't really know what it is. That is likely part of the reason for the results, younger kids only know the iPad etc often. So that will skew results

Plus how many kids did they survey. And how were they selected
charlituna is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20, 2012, 09:26 PM   #5
StarDal
macrumors newbie

Quote:

I'm probably going to get one.. my 3rd. Great little TV accessory and for $99 it's the biggest bang for the buck in regards to iOS devices.
Old Nov 20, 2012, 04:36 PM   #6
gugy
macrumors 68000

will sell like water.
Old Nov 20, 2012, 04:37 PM   #7
ThE.MeSsEnGeR
macrumors 6502a

of course that, and iTunes 11.
Old Nov 20, 2012, 04:38 PM   #8
Tech198
macrumors 601

Its a "No Brainer"

Of Course...

WE Love iPads (even us adults)

Someone decided to do a graph cos their board .... oh well..
Old Nov 20, 2012, 05:17 PM   #9
FakeWozniak
macrumors 6502

My entire suburban school district just bought iPads for every student in high school (~1600) and iPod Touches (~1600) for the middle school. Every teacher had a choice between an iPad or MacBook Air. I think Apple will be doing well this quarter.

Last edited by SilentPanda; Nov 22, 2012 at 11:18 AM. Reason: removed unneeded grammar corrections
FakeWozniak is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20, 2012, 04:37 PM   #10
camnchar
macrumors 6502

Send a message via AIM to camnchar
Only 4 out of the top 5 spots? Apple is doomed.
Old Nov 20, 2012, 04:40 PM   #11
rjohnstone
macrumors 68030

I would like to know how many 6-12 year old kids can afford to buy anything on that list?

Interest is meaningless without the means to follow through.

I'm interested in a Ferrari. Never mind that I can't afford one.

The adult survey has more relevance.
Old Nov 20, 2012, 04:45 PM   #12
jayducharme
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjohnstone View Post
They have the means; they're known as parents. If the kids howl loudly and persistently enough, the parents are the ones who will buy the devices. And apparently, this "sluggish" economy hasn't stopped adults from snapping up Apple products by the boatload.
jayducharme is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20, 2012, 04:52 PM   #13
rjohnstone
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayducharme View Post
They have the means; they're known as parents. If the kids howl loudly and persistently enough, the parents are the ones who will buy the devices. And apparently, this "sluggish" economy hasn't stopped adults from snapping up Apple products by the boatload.
I guess I raised my kids better.
The louder they cried about wanting something, the less interested I was in getting it for them.

They always hear the same two words from me.
Earn it.
Show me straight A's for an entire school year.
Clean up after yourself without having to be told to do it 50 times.
Save your allowance money and buy it yourself.

The list goes on.

Howling about wanting an expensive toy in my house is a sure fire way to get nothing.
Old Nov 21, 2012, 07:48 AM   #14
extricated
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayducharme View Post
I generally agree with you. Parents are the ones who'll make the purchase.
However, I've experienced a large shift in what I purchase due to the "sluggish" economy so I don't snap up Apple products anymore (or much else beyond groceries and gas these days).

I'm just one person, so certainly not saying because of my experience, everyone else is in the same boat.
I got slammed with over a 1/3 loss of annual income starting in late 2008 and it's been painful (and humbling).
extricated is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20, 2012, 04:49 PM   #15
mrsir2009
macrumors 604

Quote:
I would like to know how many 6-12 year old kids can afford to buy anything on that list?

Parents + Christmas + Reasonably-affordable-iDevice = $ale$
mrsir2009 is offline   6 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20, 2012, 04:52 PM   #16
REM314
macrumors 6502

I think this speaks most to Apples advertising campaigns vs. competitors. Apple just appeals to kids and what they perceive as the "coolest" or "best" product regardless of whether it is true.
Old Nov 20, 2012, 06:50 PM   #17
coltman75
macrumors member

Quote:

I hope you're aware that the 12-15 age group is a $30 billion/year market. And that's not their parent's money, that's their money. They also have "direct influence" over $150 Billion/year.
coltman75 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20, 2012, 06:51 PM   #18
HiRez
macrumors 601

I'm actually surprised that the iPad Mini is only desired by 8% of prospective adult tablet buyers. That seems very low to me.
Old Nov 20, 2012, 06:55 PM   #19
samcraig
macrumors G5

Um - you realize in the 6-7 years that both have been on the market there are kids just now getting to the age that parents would get them these devices. Also - the PS3 is arguably the best blu-ray player on the market

Also - machines die. They also have had a few iterations. It's really not surprising

And Coltman - the top survey was 6-12. You are talking 12-15. So your data is pretty irrelevant to the conversation - wouldn't you say? I know you wanted to show off your mad demographic skills and sarcasm. But I think you failed...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sacird View Post
I never will get that one. P3 and the 360 have been out 6 and 7 years now, I just find it so freaking weird people just now waltz in a store and take the plunge. Price points have been relatively the same for the past 3 years on each, I guess they have random tickets to buy in a certain month of a certain year I am not aware of.

Awesome times for us that like consoles now having to wait near 10 years. Games being cheaper this far in does not hold water, gamefly over the course of a year would pretty much be as cheap, and if someone is that strapped for cash maybe they should re-evaluate their living situation or calm down on the bar bills.

I want to be more clear. That is over 2k days of knowing a system has been out and just getting around to it now..... yup. Black Friday will show how smurt people are, so I guess it makes sense.
Quote:
Originally Posted by coltman75 View Post
I hope you're aware that the 12-15 age group is a $30 billion/year market. And that's not their parent's money, that's their money. They also have "direct influence" over $150 Billion/year.
samcraig is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20, 2012, 07:27 PM   #20
FlameofAnor
macrumors regular

Quote:

Except, parents buy what their children want....... providing they can afford to.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by businezguy View Post
I'm seriously considering getting my 4 year old son an iPad. I'm an over-indulgent father, but I guess there are worse things in this world.
Wouldn't the iPad Mini be more appropriate for a small child?
FlameofAnor is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20, 2012, 10:36 PM   #21
marksman
Banned

Quote:

You must not have kids.

----------

Quote:
I guess I raised my kids better.
The louder they cried about wanting something, the less interested I was in getting it for them.

They always hear the same two words from me.
Earn it.
Show me straight A's for an entire school year.
Clean up after yourself without having to be told to do it 50 times.
Save your allowance money and buy it yourself.

The list goes on.

Howling about wanting an expensive toy in my house is a sure fire way to get nothing.
Not understanding the value these devices can provide children makes you a poorly informed parent. The fact you call them toys cements that.

But good on getting your kids to resent you. By the way the prices of these devices are not considered expensive by every one.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by live4mark View Post
And in a related survey, 99% of the parents of these spoiled kids immediately replied, "Get off the couch and get a job if you want those expensive gadgets, you lazy sonuva..."
The kids are 6-12.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrumApple View Post
Which is exactly why I DON'T want one thank you very much. Surface for me (and us business folk).
As a business folk I would question the judgment of someone using a surface in a professional capacity in the next three months

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by popnfresh View Post
Any family that buys an iPad for their 6-year old kid deserves to have their tax bracket doubled. Because, clearly, they have more money than they know what to do with.
iPads are great educational instruments for children.

How about parents that don't buy their kids iPads have them taken away because they are inhibiting their ability to learn and be educated in numerous ways.

Comments like yours are very out of touch with the new reality. It is shocking how capable young children are on such devices plus how much quality software there is for it. Not to mention such devices will be instrumental to them for the foreseeable future and I think any parent who is spending money on beer for themselves over a tablet for their kid is failing.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lifequest View Post
Can kids 6-12 years really understand the differences between these...

iPhone: 33%
vs
Smartphone other than iPhone: 20%
Android smartphone: 16%
Other Mobile Phone: 8%
Kids of android below 25 no.

Kids of others above 8 yes
marksman is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20, 2012, 11:23 PM   #22
Hastings101
macrumors 68000

Quote:

Parents , I thought that one was obvious.
Hastings101 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21, 2012, 12:59 AM   #23
theanimaster
macrumors 6502

Quote:

Duh, that's what their parents are for~!
theanimaster is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21, 2012, 01:38 AM   #24
xwk88
macrumors member

Quote:

thing is kids get what they want now a days, lol adults have little say and these 12 Y/O kids will soon be 18 and getting their own crap and guess what they'll buy..... apple loves kids they love apple back and guess what apple is looking to a future where kids know what a mac is unlike most 80's and 90's teens all new millennia teens now know apple as the brand to own and so for the few generations to come apple dominates thanks to these "meaningless" kids......
dont be short sided see business is as much about present as it is about future sales.......
Old Nov 21, 2012, 01:57 AM   #25
Zoddino
macrumors member

http://www.networkworld.com/news/201...ga-262219.html

Maybe Lady Gaga is responsible for that
Zoddino is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion