OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard Again Available on the Apple Online Store - MacRumors Forums
Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > Mac Blog Discussion

Old Nov 21, 2012, 10:55 AM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot

OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard Again Available on the Apple Online Store

Apple is once again selling OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard on the Apple Online Store for $19.99. The return was noticed by the French site MacGeneration. Apple had pulled Snow Leopard from its site after Mountain Lion was released earlier this year.

This is significant because Snow Leopard is required to run the more recent versions of iTunes that newer iOS devices require, and it is also the last OS X operating system that could only be purchased on physical media.

For users who want to upgrade from Leopard to Lion, they need to purchase Snow Leopard in order to gain access to the Mac App Store.

Article Link: OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard Again Available on the Apple Online Store
MacRumors is offline   6 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21, 2012, 10:59 AM   #2
wikus
Banned

10.6.8 is still Apple's best OS. Lion and Mountain Lion are just bloatware that went through the iPadification process. I'm not 'upgrading' to any new release of OS X until they improve on performance and stability and bring back Expose to what it used to be. Also, get rid of versions.
wikus is offline   75 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21, 2012, 11:06 AM   #3
Skika
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by wikus View Post
10.6.8 is still Apple's best OS. Lion and Mountain Lion are just bloatware that went through the iPadification process. I'm not 'upgrading' to any new release of OS X until they improve on performance and stability and bring back Expose to what it used to be. Also, get rid of versions.
Forever on SL is what you will be.

ML > SL
Old Nov 21, 2012, 11:19 AM   #4
Simplicated
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skika View Post

ML > SL
Thank you for your elaborate proof. I am totally convinced that ML > SL.
Old Nov 21, 2012, 04:45 PM   #5
MartiNZ
macrumors 65816

Quote:

ML > SL
If you put them together to make S&ML would it be better still?

Seriously though, I'm in the SL is best camp. This move just needs to be followed by "New Macs can run SL again", to bring us all back into the market for new Macs, which we have hardly been since Lion's release.
MartiNZ is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21, 2012, 05:23 PM   #6
Jmill79
macrumors newbie

Sweet!! Now I can finally update my Blackbook from 10.5.8! Right?
Old Nov 23, 2012, 05:45 AM   #7
Joseph Farrugia
macrumors regular

Quote:

ML > SL
His choice, no need to berate her/him.

SL > ML for me in so many ways, but then I am an image management power user; I would think the vast majority of new Apple users would be better suited with iOS (& thus ML).

Good to have choice.
Joseph Farrugia is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 23, 2012, 06:01 AM   #8
r.harris1
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joseph Farrugia View Post
His choice, no need to berate her/him.

SL > ML for me in so many ways, but then I am an image management power user; I would think the vast majority of new Apple users would be better suited with iOS (& thus ML).

Good to have choice.
Yes, choice is a good thing. To be fair, another choice that should be mentioned is that ML also offers the ability for people to be image management power users, just that they may not be able do it in the same way as SL.
r.harris1 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 23, 2012, 07:16 AM   #9
Joseph Farrugia
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by r.harris1 View Post
Yes, choice is a good thing. To be fair, another choice that should be mentioned is that ML also offers the ability for people to be image management power users, just that they may not be able do it in the same way as SL.
(my highlights in bold italic)
I think you hit the nail on the head, ML "also offers" a "solution", albeit a solution looking for a problem, or rather creating new problems
The Lion/ML document handling is a real & present hindrance to efficiency & is potentially can cause you to lose data. (there are numerous posts on other forums about this, no need to delve into that here)

I repeat: choice is good; I also hope Apple do not continue removing choice.
Joseph Farrugia is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21, 2012, 11:08 AM   #10
cambookpro
macrumors 68040

Quote:
I get Exposé, but seriously, what's wrong with Versions? I've recovered many documents and unwanted changes with it. A great feature.
Old Nov 21, 2012, 01:11 PM   #11
dyn
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by cambookpro View Post
I get Exposé, but seriously, what's wrong with Versions? I've recovered many documents and unwanted changes with it. A great feature.
The fact that it isn't a user controllable option and the fact that it has the same problems as every other version control software out there. Since you can not turn it off it conflicts with people who use their own version control software. You don't want the versioning done in the file, you want it done in the vcs itself where you can have comments and many other features to resolve problems. However, any vcs has problems with large files and especially ones that are binary. They have to save the entire file for each new version which will use up large amounts of diskspace. Since everything is automatic (the user has no say in this at all) it means that the versioning system is controlling your diskspace as well as your versions. Other problems with Versions are the inability to create copies (or clones if you will) easily and properly (aka the "save as" problem).

The Expose argument is an invalid one as of Mountain Lion because that one works exactly like Snow Leopard does. I think the problem in this is Mission Control: it combines Expose with Spaces which some find annoying but most others seem to find a good solution (there is a better overview of the various windows and spaces, very useful if you are looking for something less specific).

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Bulge View Post
Yes. Ignorant and baseless. "and get rid of versions" - how isn't this ignorant. If this feature is of no use for you it by no means is standing in your way of doing things. Just don't use it.
The problem with Versions is that you don't get that choice. If the programmer implemented it you have absolutely no choice but to use it. The user does not decide but Apple and the application do. The only way you can circumvent the use of Versions is by using applications that do not implement it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eithanius View Post
Expose on Mountain Lion is still ****... They can't even arrange the windows properly. At least Snow Leopard presented them in a grid layout.
That way of doing it was the number 1 rant on this board when SL came out. Loads of people disliked that way of doing it and they were even going as far as porting the Leopard or Lion Expose version to Snow Leopard.
dyn is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21, 2012, 01:15 PM   #12
koban4max
macrumors 65816

Why the hell won't Apple release icloud apps like message and notes via app store? I mean for those who won't move beyond SL.
koban4max is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 2012, 12:09 AM   #13
Cubytus
macrumors 65816

10.6.8 or 10.6.3 ?

Same question has been asked, but from what I read nobidy seem to have provided an answer. Is it the 10.6.8 with updated drivers for 2012 Macs ? The website lists is as only requiring an "Intel CPU", which could basically mean any current Mac, including the Retina ones.

Had my late-2011 MBP checked in for regular FireWire-caused freezes, and the techie called me to perform another test. He wanted to "upgrade" me to Lion, and I served him with an authoritarian "NO". He readily understood why, first as my scanner isn't supported well in Lion and manufacturer's software is PowerPC-only. Plus plenty of other reason pertaining to usability.

That is not to say that Lion and ML are not usable, far from it. But the transition from the "old" way to the "new" way is simply too great to adapt to quickly. IMHO Apple was eager to set the basis for the "new" way, but thus doing, neglected to take care of the "experience" itself.

Such can be seen in the current MBP Retina design: Apple cut remote control capability, you can't lock your computer to a heavy object anymore, no more optical drive, smaller storage, but you get faster storage and stunning screen.

Disclaimer: I work in a multi-platform environment, including different Linux flavors on older machines, and sometimes receive cheap hardware from China whose software sit on an 8cm CD-ROM. Even if it's bulky for the amount of data held, optical media is still the fastest and easiest way to boot any computer. Here's the reason why I still have 15 DVD-RW for that only purpose - burn a variety of Linux distros and diagnostic tools.

However, I will still run a hacked ML in VirtualBox, see if I can get used to it. Surely 16GB of RAM won't hurt
Cubytus is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21, 2012, 01:16 PM   #14
Eithanius
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by dyn View Post
That way of doing it was the number 1 rant on this board when SL came out. Loads of people disliked that way of doing it and they were even going as far as porting the Leopard or Lion Expose version to Snow Leopard.
True... But take a closer look again... this time Expose on Leopard vs Mountain Lion... You'll see what I mean...
Eithanius is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 22, 2012, 12:23 AM   #15
RSL
macrumors regular

Quote:
Sure you can recover documents... But imagine you have loads of versions of a very long document every day. Try scrolling through versions and looking for that change you want to undo. No piece of cake. What more is that hot corners are always being triggered through the interface. Obviously not thoroughly tested by Apple. Just another addition to the features list.
RSL is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 22, 2012, 12:25 AM   #16
dukebound85
macrumors P6

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSL View Post
Sure you can recover documents... But imagine you have loads of versions of a very long document every day. Try scrolling through versions and looking for that change you want to undo. No piece of cake. What more is that hot corners are always being triggered through the interface. Obviously not thoroughly tested by Apple. Just another addition to the features list.
So you would rather not have a solution to find a version you are looking for? and thus unable to recover a document before changes are made? or what exactly?
dukebound85 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 22, 2012, 12:36 AM   #17
wikus
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by dukebound85 View Post
So you would rather not have a solution to find a version you are looking for? and thus unable to recover a document before changes are made? or what exactly?
How did you manage before this feature?

Also, can you imagine how much space would be eaten up with larger projects????
wikus is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 22, 2012, 01:52 AM   #18
RSL
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by dukebound85 View Post
Should I just repost what I said?
RSL is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 25, 2012, 02:13 AM   #19
anthony11
macrumors regular

Quote:
It slows Finder WAY down when deleting files, such that I have to I use Path Finder instead.
anthony11 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21, 2012, 11:16 AM   #20
karmakat
macrumors newbie

Quote:
10.6.8 is still Apple's best OS. Lion and Mountain Lion are just bloatware that went through the iPadification process.…
Yes! That's how I feel as well. In fact, I tried to upgrade my 5-year-old iMac with 4GB RAM and 2.8GHz Core 2 Duo and it brought it to its knees. I had to downgrade back to Snow Leopard and let me tell you, that was a 2-week e-mail reverse conversion nightmare.

Yes I want a new iMac, but the cash is just not coming in to cover one. (Dream: I can't imagine how fast a new iMac would be if you loaded with SL.)

I do love some of the improvements in Lion/Mountain Lion and wish I could have them, but the performance tradeoff makes it unappealing at best for now. I hope 10.9 fixes that. Who knows, when I finally get a new iMac, perhaps I won't care since the performance will be fine again, I hope.
karmakat is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 22, 2012, 10:44 AM   #21
Ropie
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by karmakat View Post
Yes! That's how I feel as well. In fact, I tried to upgrade my 5-year-old iMac with 4GB RAM and 2.8GHz Core 2 Duo and it brought it to its knees. I had to downgrade back to Snow Leopard
Exactly the same experience for me. I'm still on SL and am not looking forward to leaving it behind when I finally need to replace my 2007 MBP
Old Nov 22, 2012, 11:21 AM   #22
TheRainKing
macrumors 6502a

Snow Leopard felt more efficient and refined than Lion and Mountain Lion, but I do like some of the new features that were added in Lion and Mountain Lion.

Wasn't Bertrand Serlet the main guy behind Tiger, Leopard and Snow Leopard? Shame he left.
TheRainKing is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 22, 2012, 11:51 AM   #23
Miguel Cunha
macrumors regular

About this release...

Hi!

Can anyone tell me if this is a complete release of Snow Leopard - 10.6.8, including every security and other updates - or just a re-release of 10.6, or 10.6.3?

Thanks!
Miguel Cunha is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 22, 2012, 12:05 PM   #24
Eithanius
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRainKing View Post
Snow Leopard felt more efficient and refined than Lion and Mountain Lion, but I do like some of the new features that were added in Lion and Mountain Lion.

Wasn't Bertrand Serlet the main guy behind Tiger, Leopard and Snow Leopard? Shame he left.
There was also speculations that he was either forced to leave Apple... or voluntarily left after seeing the skewed future of Mac OS X - what is now Lion and Mountain Lion...
Eithanius is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 22, 2012, 07:03 PM   #25
msandersen
macrumors regular

Send a message via AIM to msandersen
Quote:
Originally Posted by karmakat View Post
Yes! That's how I feel as well. In fact, I tried to upgrade my 5-year-old iMac with 4GB RAM and 2.8GHz Core 2 Duo and it brought it to its knees. I had to downgrade back to Snow Leopard and let me tell you, that was a 2-week e-mail reverse conversion nightmare.

Yes I want a new iMac, but the cash is just not coming in to cover one. (Dream: I can't imagine how fast a new iMac would be if you loaded with SL.)

I do love some of the improvements in Lion/Mountain Lion and wish I could have them, but the performance tradeoff makes it unappealing at best for now. I hope 10.9 fixes that. Who knows, when I finally get a new iMac, perhaps I won't care since the performance will be fine again, I hope.
I upgraded my late 2007 2.66 Core Duo iMac from Snow Leopard; I'd kept off Lion as I liked Exposé too much, but still wanted the iCloud stuff. I turned off "Group Windows by app" in Mission Control to retain Exposé functionality and useful for things like dragging windows to other screens. At first it seemed a bit more sluggish, but having cleaned up my system including making more space on the main HD and defragging with iDefrag (yes, Macs esp ones low on space can benefit from it; I expect upgrading in place will put the new system files wherever there is space), it runs better; also once the system has cached for the first time it improves performance. Moreover I maxed out the Ram with 6Gb (it officially only supports 4 according to Apple).
It now runs very well, even with Aperture.
msandersen is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > Mac Blog Discussion