Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

baxlobs

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 21, 2012
Suffolk UK
Hi,

I am a Mac forum newbie looking for some advice. I have a dying PC running WinXP, and am going to get an iMac as soon as they are available.

I hope I can migrate my data etc. across using the Migration utility, although what might happen if the PC crashes in the middle I don't know, but I am unsure about peripheral compatibility.

I have 2 printers, Canon PIXMA IP 4600 and HP Laserjet 1022. Will the iMac have drivers for these or will I need to download them?

I also have an Epson 2400Photo scanner, same question.

Most of my data files are Word or Excel, which Office for Mac will be able to read I gather, but I also have a few Access databases, is there a Mac program that could deal with these?

Look forward to your advice.

Last edited:

joe-h2o

macrumors 6502a
Jun 24, 2012
Hi,

I am a Mac forum newbie looking for some advice. I have a dying PC running WinXP, and am going to get an iMac as soon as they are available.

I hope I can migrate my data etc. across using the Migration utility, although what might happen if the PC crashes in the middle I don't know, but I am unsure about peripheral compatibility.

I have 2 printers, Canon PIXMA IP 4600 and HP Laserjet 1022. Will the iMac have drivers for these or will I need to download them?

I also have an Epson 2400Photo scanner, same question.

Most of my data files are Word or Excel, which Office for Mac will be able to read I gather, but I also have a few Access databases, is there a Mac program that could deal with these?

Look forward to your advice.

The HP LaserJet 1022 works on OS X via USB no problem. Not sure about the the Canon, but I'd be amazed if it didn't work.

The migration utility won't hurt your machine if your old XP machine breaks while you are using it, but it might be easier to just manually copy over what you want to keep.

The Epson scanner might also work just fine - I don't know exactly. If there is no Mac driver then you can use a program called VueScan (which costs about $50 last time I checked) that will definitely make it work - it works with scanners from the dark ages of computing long after the original maker has abandoned them, but for that money it's almost worth replacing the scanner!

Your Word, Excel and Powerpoint documents will work right away on the Mac version of Office. Microsoft sells a home+student edition of Office with three serial numbers so you can install on up to three machines. Your Access files are a no go though I'm afraid - there is no non-Windows software that will open them. If you *really* need to stick to Access format then you can run the windows version of Office inside a virtual machine using Parallels or VMware Fusion (you'll need a copy of windows too). MS Access and MS Publisher are the two formats that just completely dead end when you go away from Windows. There are plenty of database apps for the Mac though, although I know starting again is a pain in the backside.

rkaufmann87

macrumors 68000
Dec 17, 2009
Folsom, CA
Your Access files are a no go though I'm afraid - there is no non-Windows software that will open them. If you *really* need to stick to Access format then you can run the windows version of Office inside a virtual machine using Parallels or VMware Fusion (you'll need a copy of windows too). MS Access and MS Publisher are the two formats that just completely dead end when you go away from Windows. There are plenty of database apps for the Mac though, although I know starting again is a pain in the backside.

Well actually he can get FileMaker Pro which will work just fine and should import the data. Here is a link that should get him started:

http://help.filemaker.com/app/answe...ing microsoft access to filemaker/suggested/1

Brian33

macrumors 65816
Apr 30, 2008
USA (Virginia)
I used a Canon Pixma ip4300 printer for many years with my 2008 iMac (Leopard & Snow Leopard), and I'm pretty sure I didn't download or install anything special. Your IP 4600 should be fine.

baxlobs

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 21, 2012
Suffolk UK
Thanks everyone, that is a help. Sounds as if the printers will be OK. The access issue is not a deal breaker, but if Filemaker can handle it that would be great.

All I need now is the iMac. :D

As an aside, I was in a local branch of PC World this morning, I noticed that all the "old" iMacs had gone, I asked an assistant if he had any idea when the new ones were due and he said, "either Friday or early next week". Maybe not too long to wait now.

timcullis

macrumors member
Oct 9, 2012
London
Supported printers: http://support.apple.com/kb/HT3669

I've got on quite well so far moving from Windows XP and Windows 7 to Mac OS X, waiting for the iMac to take the next step.

I use Parallels Desktop to run a couple of Windows apps in Mac OS windows where there's currently no direct replacement.

baxlobs

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 21, 2012
Suffolk UK
Supported printers: http://support.apple.com/kb/HT3669

I've got on quite well so far moving from Windows XP and Windows 7 to Mac OS X, waiting for the iMac to take the next step.

I use Parallels Desktop to run a couple of Windows apps in Mac OS windows where there's currently no direct replacement.

Thanks, that is very helpful. I see my printers and the scanner on the lists, so they should be fine.

I will probably use Parallels to run a couple of programs for which there is no OS X version, do you have any tips on installation and setup? I will be using XP as that is what I have now.

seanm9

macrumors regular
Dec 29, 2007
Cape Cod, MA
For the Epson 2400:

http://www.epson.com/cgi-bin/Store/...id=14587&infoType=Downloads&platform=OSF_M_X8

(actually, I have an Epson 4800 scanner, which might be a step up, looking for a good home if ever you're in the Richmond area...)

for the canon
http://www.usa.canon.com/cusa/suppo...xma_ip_series/pixma_ip4600#DriversAndSoftware

the HP drivers are probably built-into Mountain Lion... but always check the vendor for the latest drivers and software updates on software bundled with the printer (if you use any of it)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.