Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

midwestfisherma

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 25, 2012
S.E. Mich
I've been playing with the iPad Mini that I bought earlier today. I have to say that a lot of the criticism that I've seen about it is unwarranted IMHO. Before I bought it I spent ~30 minutes comparing the Mini to the Nexus 7, as I had not made up my mind on which one to buy. In my comparison, the Mini is snappier then the N7, the screen is just as nice, at least to my eye, and the overall fit and finish of the Mini is very nice! I got the 32GB slate and smart cover. I scored the Mini for $409. Overall I am very happy with the purchase. :)

marc11

macrumors 68000
Mar 30, 2011
NY USA
Lol another "I bought something and need to justify it to the world" thread. Glad you enjoy your purchase.

Ladybug

macrumors 68000
Apr 13, 2006
I've been playing with the iPad Mini that I bought earlier today. I have to say that a lot of the criticism that I've seen about it is unwarranted IMHO. Before I bought it I spent ~30 minutes comparing the Mini to the Nexus 7, as I had not made up my mind on which one to buy. In my comparison, the Mini is snappier then the N7, the screen is just as nice, at least to my eye, and the overall fit and finish of the Mini is very nice! I got the 32GB slate and smart cover. I scored the Mini for $409. Overall I am very happy with the purchase. :)

Another happy iPad Mini customer. :D Seriously, just ignore all the negative useless comments in this thread. These people live to comment negatively about the mini and try to sap the joy out of it for everyone who buys a mini. Enjoy your purchase and don't let them spoil it for you. I love my mini too.

CandyNJ66

macrumors regular
Feb 11, 2009
USA
I am in love with my new Mini too!

My screen isn't defective or hazy/blurry like some but looks much better! Games look beautiful and HD content looks great to me. :D

lianlua

macrumors 6502
Jun 13, 2008
Lol another "I bought something and need to justify it to the world" thread. Glad you enjoy your purchase.
With a matching "I just want to rain on the parade because I don't like it" comment.

At least it's not another "I'm shocked that this non-retina display is non-retina" thread. Duplicates are annoying, but not as annoying as the constant sniping. Duplicate threads would fade away by themselves if people redirected the discussion to the existing threads.

Midwestfisherma, congratulations on buying something that meets your needs and expectations. I'm sure you'll get lots of use out of it.

JoeShades

macrumors 68000
Sep 1, 2010
Williamstown, NJ
the screen is not as nice, that is a fact not an opinion, there may be a problem with that person's eyes where they can not notice a difference, but that is a separate issue

Last edited by a moderator:

CandyNJ66

macrumors regular
Feb 11, 2009
USA
the screen is not as nice, that is a fact not an opinion, there may be a problem with that person's eyes where they can not notice a difference, but that is a separate issue

That is an opinion hon. I didn't say the screen is glorious but yes, it is fine.

It's sad that some folks get opinions mixed up with fact. If you have an opinion, it doesn't make it fact, it makes it your experience only.

Watching movies and playing games, the games look great. If you looked at a screen that was defective, who knows. I prefer Retina but the screen on the Mini is actually just fine.

JoeShades

macrumors 68000
Sep 1, 2010
Williamstown, NJ
Mini :7.9-inch IPS, 1,024x768 pixels (163 ppi)

n7: 7-inch IPS, 1,280x800 pixels (216 ppi)

Those are facts, you can prefer the lower resolution for some reason but it does not change the facts about the screen. it is like saying standard Def TV is as good as HD , it is not, you for some reason may or may not notice a difference because of vision problems but one is clearly superior to the other. i have an ipad mini, the screen is fine but not the same quality of the N7 or the retina ipad

Last edited:

CandyNJ66

macrumors regular
Feb 11, 2009
USA

Those are facts, you can prefer the lower resolution for some reason but it does not change the facts about the screen. it is like saying standard Def TV is as good as HD , it is not, you for some reason may or may not notice a difference because of vision problems but one is clearly superior to the other. i have an ipad mini, the screen is fine but not the same quality of the N7 or the retina ipad

Are you misunderstanding the word nice with something else? Despite you pasting a bunch of stuff here, still doesn't lessen my opinion or how I feel about the display.

We just have different opinions :)

Eadfrith

macrumors 6502a
Nov 3, 2011
Lindisfarena
The Nexus 7 needs a higher PPI, the screen is tiny compared to the iPad Mini - especially if you put it in landscape orientation.

JoeShades

macrumors 68000
Sep 1, 2010
Williamstown, NJ
The word nice is an opinion and probably the wrong choice by that person who said no it is not. probably better to say the quality of the screen is not as good. we share the same opinion, the screen of the ipad mini is fine but when the retina one comes out i will be getting the better screen :D

----------

The Nexus 7 needs a higher PPI, the screen is tiny compared to the iPad Mini - especially if you put it in landscape orientation.

the higher PPI would be needed for a bigger screen more but yeah apple made the better choice by going 4:3 nexus in landscape is not good mainly because of less space on the 16:9. i hope apple does not change it like they did with the iphone 5, better PPI or not the 16:9 for 7 inch tablets is not good for things othr than video

Last edited:

lianlua

macrumors 6502
Jun 13, 2008
it is like saying standard Def TV is as good as HD , it is not, you for some reason may or may not notice a difference because of vision problems but one is clearly superior to the other.
No, it isn't like that at all. It's like saying that a 40" 720p television is better than a 50" 720p television because the pixels are smaller. One is not "clearly superior" to the other unless the only measure of quality that you have is the size of the pixels.
probably better to say the quality of the screen is not as good.
No, it is better to say that the resolution and pixel density is not as good.

hanschien

macrumors 6502
Oct 2, 2006
Houston, TX
For me it's superior to the iPad 1 that I'm upgrading from. The speed is good but the size and weight is incredible. I also had an iPad 4th gen unopened while I waited for the mini bit returned it.

iLLUMI

macrumors 6502a
Aug 1, 2012
I finally got round to testing one out today and I have to say I'm rather impressed by the display and the speed. I'm very tempted to get one just for the sake of having one.
Enjoy your Mini midwestfisherman. :)

d0vr

macrumors 6502a
Feb 24, 2011
Another happy iPad Mini customer. :D Seriously, just ignore all the negative useless comments in this thread. These people live to comment negatively about the mini and try to sap the joy out of it for everyone who buys a mini. Enjoy your purchase and don't let them spoil it for you. I love my mini too.

Honestly, I find the best way to enjoy your purchase is to just enjoy it, and don't post about it. Anything you post online will be met with at least some critism. And that's just no fun.

That or blog about it and turn off the comments :p

CrAkD

macrumors 68040
Feb 15, 2010
Boston, MA

The iPad mini has about the same amount of ppi more then the iPad 2. Can you notice that easily? No. The difference between the iPad mini and nexus 7 screens are practically negligible. Just like the nexus 10 and iPad 4 screens are a wash.

Ladybug

macrumors 68000
Apr 13, 2006
Honestly, I find the best way to enjoy your purchase is to just enjoy it, and don't post about it. Anything you post online will be met with at least some critism. And that's just no fun.

That or blog about it and turn off the comments :p

You are of course right about the comments, I totally agree. BTW, love your sig.

klover

macrumors 6502a
Jun 7, 2009

+1

N7 also has wider color gamut, higher contrast, and lower black level. If the qualities of the N7 panel were combined with the awesome form/weight of the mini, this would be a killer product.

JoeShades

macrumors 68000
Sep 1, 2010
Williamstown, NJ
No, it isn't like that at all. It's like saying that a 40" 720p television is better than a 50" 720p television because the pixels are smaller. One is not "clearly superior" to the other unless the only measure of quality that you have is the size of the pixels.

No, it is better to say that the resolution and pixel density is not as good.

No the two 720 TVs have the same resolution the nexus 7 and mini do not so comparing the two is not the same

Last edited by a moderator:

matrix07

macrumors G3
Jun 24, 2010

Resolution is only one of many criteria to judge how great the screen is, and that is a fact. And btw, the SD/HD comparison is just so off the mark I wonder if you can really judge a screen quality.

Last edited:

JoeShades

macrumors 68000
Sep 1, 2010
Williamstown, NJ
Resolution is only one of many criteria to judge how great the screen is, and that is a fact. And btw, the SD/HD comparison is just so off the mark I wonder if you can really judge a screen quality.

Yeah you know another way to judge the screen ? Look at it. If you can't see the difference then you just don't want to

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.