Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > iOS Blog Discussion

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Nov 22, 2012, 08:01 PM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
iOS Game Controllers iCADE, iCADE 8-Bitty and JOYSTICK-IT on Sale for Black Friday 2012




ThinkGeek has posted their set of Black Friday deals. Relevant to iPhone and iPad gamers are sales on their iCade, iCade 8-Bitty Game Controller and the JOYSTICK-IT for iPad. ThinkGeek is an affiliate partner of MacRumors.

The iCADE is an arcade cabinet housing for the iPad:


Normally priced at $99.99, the iCADE is presently 30% off at $69.99. The iCADE connects to the iPad via Bluetooth and is compatible with over 500 games.

The iCade 8-Bitty is the Nintendo controller styled handheld version of the iCADE for iPhone, iPad, and iPod Touch:


The iCade 8-Bitty normally sells for $29.99 but is on sale for 33% percent off at $19.99. It also connects via Bluetooth and shares the same game compatibility as the full-sized iCADE.

Finally for $7.49 (50% Off), ThinkGeek offers the JOYSTICK-IT Arcade Stick for iPad. A physical joystick that attaches directly to the screen to offer a real control.

Quote:
The JOYSTICK-IT works with thousands of different game apps. Any game that has an on-screen control pad of some kind is perfect for the JOYSTICK-IT. Simply run your game of choice, place the JOYSTICK-IT over the on-screen control pad and push down. The JOYSTICK-IT sticks to the glass of your display and is ready for action.
Article Link: iOS Game Controllers iCADE, iCADE 8-Bitty and JOYSTICK-IT on Sale for Black Friday 2012
MacRumors is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 22, 2012, 08:41 PM   #2
xxgilxx
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Eatin turkey...
xxgilxx is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 22, 2012, 08:50 PM   #3
APlotdevice
macrumors 68020
 
APlotdevice's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
I wish more developers would actually support these. (Joystick-It aside)
__________________
iPhone 5c - 11" Macbook Air '13 - TV - iPod touch 4 - HTPC - Numerous Consoles
There is something deeply wrong with a society more offended by breasts than by entrails.
APlotdevice is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 22, 2012, 09:23 PM   #4
ConCat
Banned
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: In an ethereal plane of existence.
Happy thanksgiving everyone!
ConCat is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 23, 2012, 07:51 AM   #5
runonthespot
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
I certainly intend to, with this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H__YPbXelrk

Mike
@runonthespot
runonthespot is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 23, 2012, 11:58 AM   #6
nagromme
macrumors G4
 
nagromme's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Quote:
Originally Posted by APlotdevice View Post
I wish more developers would actually support these. (Joystick-It aside)
I always like seeing more support for iCade, but there is already a massive library of games for iCade. It seems like I notice new ones appear every week. The official list it not always complete, but they do update it pretty regularly (while other titles I learn about from the TouchArcade forums):

http://www.ionaudio.com/products/icade-games

170 titles there, some of which are libraries of multiple classic titles in one.
nagromme is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 25, 2012, 04:05 AM   #7
MacDav
Banned
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Not a bad idea, but the question I have is...How responsive is the joystick? Does it respond like the old arcade games joystick? Also, how much fun is it to replay all the old games? Compared with say, Half-Life 2, how much fun will it be, and how quick will you get bored? Just wondering.
MacDav is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 26, 2012, 09:41 AM   #8
ncaissie
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
My wife just ordered me one for Christmas.
__________________
2011 MacBook Pro iPod touch 2G iFone 5! iPad 2 ATV 2G
ncaissie is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 26, 2012, 01:03 PM   #9
nagromme
macrumors G4
 
nagromme's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacDav View Post
Not a bad idea, but the question I have is...How responsive is the joystick? Does it respond like the old arcade games joystick? Also, how much fun is it to replay all the old games? Compared with say, Half-Life 2, how much fun will it be, and how quick will you get bored? Just wondering.
Answer 1: it feels very much like an arcade game, with clicky joystick directions and stiff springy (actually tiring for me!) buttons. It seems to use actual arcade parts; if not, itís something very close.

Answer 2: only you can decide what fun a game offers I tend to prefer the NEW games with my iCade, and revisit oldies sometimes for the novelty.

I had buyerís remorse when I bought my iCade: holy smokes, I have this big THING now, which only serves one purpose, and my wallet is lighter!

Then I started gaming on it and I love itóno remorse for me. I do kind of wish I had the non-cabinet iCade Core: I could play with it in my lap and run the game to a projector (more easily than I can now).
nagromme is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 26, 2012, 04:39 PM   #10
MacDav
Banned
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Quote:
Originally Posted by nagromme View Post
Answer 1: it feels very much like an arcade game, with clicky joystick directions and stiff springy (actually tiring for me!) buttons. It seems to use actual arcade parts; if not, itís something very close.

Answer 2: only you can decide what fun a game offers I tend to prefer the NEW games with my iCade, and revisit oldies sometimes for the novelty.

I had buyerís remorse when I bought my iCade: holy smokes, I have this big THING now, which only serves one purpose, and my wallet is lighter!

Then I started gaming on it and I love itóno remorse for me. I do kind of wish I had the non-cabinet iCade Core: I could play with it in my lap and run the game to a projector (more easily than I can now).
Wow! I wasn't expecting a reply. My questions were more rhetorical than actual. You did a great job though. Thanks...You've got me seriously thinking of buying one now.
MacDav is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 2012, 03:50 PM   #11
torontowriter
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Pretty cool

Despite the few limitations, the joystick on the iPad: genius.

Does anybody know where I can peruse in Toronto in real life?
torontowriter is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > iOS Blog Discussion

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:35 PM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC