Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

thadoggfather

macrumors P6
Original poster
Oct 1, 2007
so two days into using my lovely white ipad mini 16gb wifi just as i was cozying up to it (non-retina) and continuously being enthralled with the small and light design... and all of a sudden i see this glitchy pattern on Safari and then screen fades to black like its going to respring, except I see no apple logo.

I tried a hard reset, tried plugging it into the wall, siri will work if i hold down the home button but the screen just illuminates

i think the LCD fried itself somehow.

I dont want to do a genius bar swap because i just got it, not long enough to assess whether to keep or not.

And people will think I'm trolling but here's a pic :( :
kowCU.jpg

going to get there at midnight, hopefully they have more 16 wifis in... but if not, back it goes.

jedolley

macrumors 68000
Sep 18, 2009
I've returned many things to Best Buy and they've never even powered it on. They will probably ask you if there is anything wrong with it, and it's up to you if you want to answer them honestly.

thadoggfather

macrumors P6
Original poster
Oct 1, 2007
Of course I will.

don't want anyone else having the same problems.

Darn shame though, I just got done talking about how sweet the mini is all night on MR.

Oh well, such is life. Thank goodness I didn't prematurely sell my trust iPad3 in case they dont have more 16 wifi for a while.

thadoggfather

macrumors P6
Original poster
Oct 1, 2007
Well I know it seems like an obvious question but with iPhones on contracts lots of resellers/retailers refer you to genius bar instead of getting you a swap for new in box :/

Steve was right I gotta hand it to him.... smaller tablets are DOA :D

Last edited:

thadoggfather

macrumors P6
Original poster
Oct 1, 2007
Yey, I was very close to giving up and returning it, just thinking between Black Friday and all, no way I'd be getting a new exchange.

But one store just got shipments in, and specifically same model, the 16 wifi white.

Employee didn't want to hold one over the phone for me (maybe BF was getting to him, maybe its policy at Best Buy? but when I got my first one a few days ago it was the last one, first time mini customer, and they held it -- either way, he did me a solid) but I explained I already bought one and it was DOA so that lubed the deal.

...and now restoring from iCloud backup on this device.

knock on wood no issues with this one, finding these things is far and few between let alone twice by random calling.

And using my iPad3 exclusively last night, despite the still amazing and superior retina screen, made me sort of sad I was without my mini.

iTinksquest

macrumors newbie
Nov 25, 2012
Best buy +1 Apple Store 0

Best buy has always worked with me and never asked questions as long as I had receipt. In past month I've had 4 iPads from there. They sold me ipad 3 and i cracked the screen during a power outage on the 3rd day and with protection plan they replaced it no problem. Then I went to return to get a 3G model and they didn't have any left because the 4 came out so they let me upgrade to wifi model of that. Then I paid difference and bought the LTE model a few days after that.

Kind of a rental testing program. I will never buy directly from apple as long as Best Buy is around. Soooo much better on coverage then ridiculous apple care. Covers accidental damage for length of protection contract.

thadoggfather

macrumors P6
Original poster
Oct 1, 2007
Apathy is nice IMO when it comes to returns.

There's no reason to take it personally as if you are the one who runs the company.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.