Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Note: Black Friday sales continue through the weekend for most retailers. Apple's sales have ended. Most app and software sales below will last until Monday. We've updated our chart below as of Nov 26, 2:30AM Eastern.

2012-oneday-landing-dayof-hero.png
Black Friday kicks off on the day after Thanksgiving and offers customers short term sales on many products. While Apple did participate, their discounts tended to be smaller than other 3rd party retailers.

Sales Tax

National retailers such as Apple and Best Buy charge local sales tax on all orders. So, the advantage of using other online-only retailers is not getting charged that sales tax at the time of order (though you are typically expected to report it later). Local sales taxes are automatically charged for the following retailers in the following states:

- Apple, Best Buy: All States
- MacMall: California, Illinois, New York, Tennessee, Minnesota, Georgia, North Carolina, Wisconsin
- Amazon: California, New York, Texas, Pennsylvania, Kansas, Kentucky, North Dakota, Washington

If you are in one of those states, it may make sense to look elsewhere or simply buy locally anyway if the savings are comparable.

Discounts on Apple Products

Apple offered their own modest discounts on specific Apple products. Here is a chart of the most competitive 3rd party Apple retailers:

Click on prices to link directly to product.​

Amazon's prices tend to fluctuate throughout the day. If BestBuy has no online stock, local stores may have inventory.

iPhone 5 / 5th Gen iPod Touch

AT&T has started offering a refurbished iPhone 5 (with contract) on their online store. Prices are $100 lower than new:

- 16GB Black iPhone 5 - $99
- 32GB Black iPhone 5 - $199
- 64GB Black iPhone 5 - $299
- 16GB White iPhone 5 - $99
- 32GB White iPhone 5 - $199
- 64GB White iPhone 5 - $299

- 5th Generation iPod Touch with Free $50 Best Buy Gift Card

Software Discounts

iOS and Mac App discounts are ongoing and can be seen in real time at AppShopper.com. We'd previously compiled a large list of the more interesting ones:

- Long list of iOS and Mac Software discounts
- MacUtility Bundle ($59.99) - Parallels Desktop 8, Snagit, VirusBarrier X6, MacOptimizer, Rubbertnet ($245 Value)
- MacLegion Bundle - ($49.99)- TechTool Pro, Freeway Pro, djay, Capo, Fantastical, RipIt, iRip, Beamer, Copy Paste Pro, Code Collector Pro ($548.80 Value)
- iStack Mac Bundle 2.0 ($49.99) - Camtasia 2, Circus Ponies NoteBook, CrossOver XI, FX Photo Studio Pro, LittleSnapper, Printopia, xTeam, MoneyBag, Habits, SyncMate Expert, Build iPhone & iPad Games Without Programming.
- MacGameStore - Up to 80% Off on Mac games

Other / Misc

- $100 iTunes Gift Card for $85
- Adobe Photoshop Elements 11 for $44.99
- iOS Game Controller iCADE, iCADE 8-Bitty, and JOYSTICK-IT
- MacSales (OWC) Black Friday Sale - Mac accessories, hard drives, memory
- Bear Extender Bundle - Wi-Fi extender
- Refurbished iPod Classic, iPod Touch, iPads - from Woot

- Freeway Express and Exhibeo are 50% off
- Carbon Copy Cloner - 20% Off with Coupon Code GIVETHANKS
- Equinux - 50% off. Mail Designer, Stationery Pack, iSale, CoverScout and VPN Tracker

Updates:

- Fry's has 13" Retina MacBook Pro for $200 Off ($1699->$1499). (In Store Only now)
- Das Keyboard (Mechanical Keyboard) 20% Off

Please note that prices may fluctuate during the day. Several of the vendors listed are affiliate partners with MacRumors and referred sales may benefit the site financially. Please send in any notable sales to tips@macrumors.com.

Article Link: Black Friday 2012: A List of Discounts on Apple Products and More

AppleInTheMud

macrumors 6502
Jun 19, 2012
Vojens Denmark
SALE ????

Hahahahahahaha... Most of the products are CHEAPER on a normal day in every store in Denmark, than the Black Friday prices at Apple Store Denmark.

iPad 2 for 2.799 DKR as a black friday price ??? Normal price in Denmarks Stores is 2.600 DKK - Without a discount :-/

Pay More - Even with a discount. See you NOT at the Apple Store DK

iMikeT

macrumors 68020
Jul 8, 2006
California
Im not complaining... I just think it's fun they market black friday so massive and everything is still more costly, than in every other store.

Which is exactly the reason why I made fun of all of my friends who left Thanksgiving dinner (USA) early tonight to go to one of these brick & mortar retail stores to go shopping (it's 2:41am PST while I write this, hehehe :D).

Oh and anyone shopping for Apple products today, please buy a lot because you're only going to boost the price of AAPL shares. (Full disclosure, I am holding a long position in AAPL. I am counting on you to buy a lot this holiday season (today in particular) so I can make money off you)

HarryWarden

macrumors 6502a
Oct 27, 2012
The article mentions Amazon's prices fluctuating. Anyone know from past years or similar whether the prices will be better, the same, or worse on Cyber Monday? Will they get lower/go back up even as early as later today?

troop231

macrumors 603
Jan 20, 2010
Damn, discounts can't be used in conjunction with student discounts on Apple's website :( Was hoping to score $299 off a rMBP.

jsgreen

macrumors 6502
Nov 27, 2007
NH
If your company participates in a discount purchase program (many large employers do) then you can buy from the Apple Store with both the Employee Purchase Program (EPP) and Black Friday discounts. 32Gb version of the newest iPod went from $299 to $268 - hard to beat that!

Glumpfner

macrumors regular
Dec 15, 2009
I like Apple, I like Apple products and I think Apple has an amazing marketing department... but Apples Black Friday sales have been and always will be a joke among bargain hunters.
I understand that they don't want to lower their prices, why risk it?
If the word would spread that Apple hands out 30% discount on Black Friday, a good amount of people will always wait for that one day in the year.

From a business perspective, they're doing it right, from the perspective of a consumer, Apple is the biggest dissapointment on Black Friday.

And guess what, I'm a consumer!

CiSach

macrumors newbie
Oct 17, 2011
trying to combine with Discover CashBack but nothign in instore pickup eligible :/

macrumors 603
Jan 8, 2009
BestBuy seems to be throwing down with competition discounts.

However I refuse to shop today; the fact that national box stores opened earlier than ever this year (Walmart even forced all their employees to work last night) means I will not participate in this out of control corporate market. The holidays should be about friends and family, not dashing into stores to help line the fat pockets of wealthy executives.

Hope everyone had a great Thanksgiving! :)

robertcoogan

macrumors 6502a
Apr 5, 2008
Joshua Tree, California
Just a suggestion for MacRumors...

It would be nice (since MR does this for Apple hardware and software anyway) if time since last update to the software for these bundles was included. I have bought them twice, and both times I got burned when paid updates were released shortly afterwards (Parallels, TechTool, etc.).

macrumors 603
Jan 8, 2009
It would be nice (since MR does this for Apple hardware and software anyway) if time since last update to the software for these bundles was included. I have bought them twice, and both times I got burned when paid updates were released shortly afterwards (Parallels, TechTool, etc.).

I was going to post the same comment on life cycle or something similar for software update rumors. For example, 1Password 4 is due any day now, and many don't want to buy 3 as it may be a paid upgrade. Many have posted on the developers/company's forums asking if it will require a paid upgrade license and the moderator brushes the questions aside (which seems it may require $$$ to go from previous versions).

For large/popular applications, a small section on update rumors to facilitate members' buying decisions could be beneficial. As there are thousands, focus on the most popular and allow member to post threads on applications that may interest others. :)

ArtOfWarfare

macrumors G3
Nov 26, 2007
I knew the MacBook Air wasn't the quickest computer in the air, but 1.7 Hz!? That's soooo slow! That's ~1/1000000000 the speed of any other modern computer! (In other words, there's a typo on the table.)

AppleAlfred

macrumors member
Nov 23, 2012
Canada
I like Apple, I like Apple products and I think Apple has an amazing marketing department... but Apples Black Friday sales have been and always will be a joke among bargain hunters.
I understand that they don't want to lower their prices, why risk it?
If the word would spread that Apple hands out 30% discount on Black Friday, a good amount of people will always wait for that one day in the year.

From a business perspective, they're doing it right, from the perspective of a consumer, Apple is the biggest dissapointment on Black Friday.

And guess what, I'm a consumer!

I agree that it may be disappointing, but the way I see it is you can either save ~5-10% on a great apple product or save 60% on the worst piece of android tablet junk ever. My choice is going to be the apple product every time, and hey, any savings are still money in my pocket! :D

poguesrun

macrumors newbie
Nov 23, 2012
Forgive the newbie question, but if you buy Apple stuff direct from Amazon, is it still covered via the standard Apple warranty? And if you get the refurb iPhone direct from AT & T, can you reasonably expect it to be as high-quality as the refurb gear Apple sells, and can you get Applecare+ for it?

Paul F. P. Pogue

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.