Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mrfatboy

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 15, 2008
How can I verify that my verizon iPhone 4S 6.0.1 in correctly unlocked while still in the US?

My aunt and uncle came over for thanksgiving yesterday with their brand new Verizon iphone 4s's. We all we be traveling to Cancun next year and I suggested that they get their phones internationally unlocked (gsm) for the trip.

I did this for my old iPhone 4S last year.

I have an old Sim from Vietnam that I used for my iPhone 4S unlock so I thought we would use it again to for the unlock process for my relatives iPhones.

Anyway after dealing with 2 complete idiots at Verizon that said it is not possible I finally got to a third guy that at least seemed like he knew what he was doing.

He emailed apple and got an immediate response back allowing Verizon to unlock the iPhones. He then asked me to turn off the phone, put in the foreign sim from Vietnam(any foreign sim will do from what I'm told) and powered the phone back on. All of this was done while connected to iTunes and wifi while connected to the Internet.

The iphone powered on and got 'no service' which is expected because of the foreign sim. He said the process is now complete and the phone is unlocked for foreign gsm use.

Now, when I did this process last year with my iPhone 4S I got a message in iTunes that said 'congratulations! Your iphone is now unlocked. '

I did not get this message on either of my relatives iPhones when we went thru the unlocking process with Verizon. However, the Verizon rep swears they are unlocked.

How can I verify that these iPhones are unlocked while still in the US? I don't want to get to Mexico (or any international destination) and I find out that Verizon didn't do their job correctly.

Thanks

Mrfatboy

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 15, 2008
Verizon 4S's don't display the unlocked message on iTunes.

Mine for sure did when I did it last year. I unlocked it a couple of days after launch day. However, I have read that the message does not appear any more most if not all people nowadays. Maybe apple changed in iTunes?

Get a prepaid T-Mobile or AT&T sim and see if it works.

Verizon will only unlock the 4s for international gsm use. Otherwise it is locked to Verizon in the US. Those sims will not work.

Moe2005

macrumors newbie
Feb 4, 2012
Mine for sure did when I did it last year. I unlocked it a couple of days after launch day. However, I have read that the message does not appear any more most if not all people nowadays. Maybe apple changed in iTunes?

It didn't for me when I unlocked my Verizon 4S about 2 months ago.

Leeduc

macrumors newbie
Nov 23, 2012
Hey guy!
I Come from vietnam
And now i'm using an iphone 4s lock verizon
And i can't unlock its. I must using heicard sim to active gsm.
Sorry because my bad english

RIMiPod

macrumors newbie
Sep 29, 2006
Negative. That won't work. Verizon only unlocks the phone for international use

Not entirely true. There are two files that you back up and then delete. This process disables the CDMA transceiver and defaults the phone to GSM--thus, any Verizon or Sprint iPhone4S will work on AT&T and T-mobile.

Even though the phone is made for Verizon, the phone will still have the plist for Sprint as well. I had relocated both files on my phone and now I'm on T-Mobile :)

*EDIT: I also forgot to mention that in order to access the phone's file system, a jailbreak is needed. That's the only catch besides having your carrier unlock the phone from their end.

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
Not entirely true. There are two files that you back up and then delete. This process disables the CDMA transceiver and defaults the phone to GSM--thus, any Verizon or Sprint iPhone4S will work on AT&T and T-mobile.

Even though the phone is made for Verizon, the phone will still have the plist for Sprint as well. I had relocated both files on my phone and now I'm on T-Mobile :)

*EDIT: I also forgot to mention that in order to access the phone's file system, a jailbreak is needed. That's the only catch besides having your carrier unlock the phone from their end.

Do you have directions for this?

xraydoc

Contributor
Oct 9, 2005
I had Verizon unlock my 4S for international use. There was no indication on my end this was completed other than the confirmation of the customer service guy on the phone.

I was, however, able to pop in a Virgin Mobile UK SIM and it indeed recognized the SIM as valid.

Be aware to validate the SIM (either domestically or overseas), you'll need access to wifi for the phone to connect to Apple's servers (or via your Mac plus iTunes if you have it with you).

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
Keep in mind a jailbreak prevents you from updating the phone software. But, this is a cool trick!

Which would suck because I don't JB or need and tweaks. But the speed increase from CDMA 3G to HPSA+ is worth a JB IMO.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.