Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

c2c4c

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 15, 2012
At it's fundamental level, my goal is to have the ability to stream two separate switchable audio sources to several rooms.

I will be installing ceiling mounted speakers throughout the house. I currently have an old audio receiver running my TV's audio, and an Airport Express hooked up to some computer speakers to stream music.

What I would LIKE to be able to do is have a selector switch in each room to switch between the TV audio and the Airplay audio, as well as volume control for each room.

What I'm thinking I will do is run a lead from the audio receiver (TV) and Airport Express to each room (into the switch). The amplification of the receiver will need to power the whole system. That will give me the ability to switch between the two sources independently in each room. So, for example, we can have audio from a football game playing in the living room, patio, and the bathroom during the super bowl, but my wife can stream her Pandora to our bedroom while I'm streaming the TV audio to both the living room and office. Hopefully you get the idea.

Is this the best way to go about this? Is there a better solution I'm not seeing? Maybe something without switches?

JAT

macrumors 603
Dec 31, 2001
Mpls, MN
That price will be tough to beat. There are plenty of whole-house vendors out there, but they usually start well above $1000 for a complete system. Niles, Nuvo, Crestron, etc.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.