Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Terror-Inferno

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 6, 2011
UK
At the moment I use my iPhone 4 for everything and as my main music player, so the battery isn't lasting long when I listen to music throughout the day. Because of this I was thinking of getting a iPod as my dedicated music player instead.

At the moment my music library is about 4500 songs at 30GB, so I've narrowed my choices down to:

• iPod Nano 4G (16GB)
  • iPod Nano 6G (16GB)
  • iPod Classic 5G (60GB)
  • iPod Classic 6G (80GB)

So in order to pick one I need to know a few things from people who have these models:

• Is the iPod Classic heavy?
  • How much space on the Nano's 16GB is useable for music?

Any help to narrow my choices down a bit more would be very helpful,
thanks,

firedept

macrumors 603
Jul 8, 2011
Somewhere!
The classic is heavy, but with right carrying case with belt clip or in pocket is not going to weigh you down. It will give you a ton of room for extra music down the road. Either one of the classics is a good choice. New nano should have about 14-15 GB usable space. My iPad OS only takes up 1.52 GB of space and I believe nano uses same OS, so should be same amount used. Nano will limit your music amount, but 14-15 GB is still a lot of music and you can always change it up anytime or use the cloud for your music. Hope this helps.

MultiFinder17

macrumors 68030
Jan 8, 2008
Tampa, Florida
Personally, I use a fifth generation video iPod. I prefer it over the Classic simply because it is much easier to get into and tinker with, allowing simple replacements for anything that breaks or wears out. My iPod is going into its eighth year of service now, and it's still working like a champ.

Terror-Inferno

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 6, 2011
UK
The classic is heavy, but with right carrying case with belt clip or in pocket is not going to weigh you down. It will give you a ton of room for extra music down the road. Either one of the classics is a good choice. New nano should have about 14-15 GB usable space. My iPad OS only takes up 1.52 GB of space and I believe nano uses same OS, so should be same amount used. Nano will limit your music amount, but 14-15 GB is still a lot of music and you can always change it up anytime or use the cloud for your music. Hope this helps.

Thanks, I really like the extra space of the classic, but I also like how portable the nano's are, but my music just about fits at 128 kbps quality with no room for the future. It's a shame apple haven't made a 32GB Nano as that would of been perfect,

Personally, I use a fifth generation video iPod. I prefer it over the Classic simply because it is much easier to get into and tinker with, allowing simple replacements for anything that breaks or wears out. My iPod is going into its eighth year of service now, and it's still working like a champ.

I did have a brief look at the modding of the 5G video iPod, so that would be really helpful if the hard drive needs replacing, etc. Thanks for the info

firedept

macrumors 603
Jul 8, 2011
Somewhere!
Thanks, I really like the extra space of the classic, but I also like how portable the nano's are, but my music just about fits at 128 kbps quality with no room for the future. It's a shame apple haven't made a 32GB Nano as that would of been perfect,

Agreed!

I did have a brief look at the modding of the 5G video iPod, so that would be really helpful if the hard drive needs replacing, etc. Thanks for the info

My classic is a 500GB HDD, so I can see no reason that you could not find a bigger HDD for it. It took me awhile to find the larger HDD for my classic but they are out there and I am sure for the Nano as well.

Terror-Inferno

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 6, 2011
UK
My classic is a 500GB HDD, so I can see no reason that you could not find a bigger HDD for it. It took me awhile to find the larger HDD for my classic but they are out there and I am sure for the Nano as well.

Wow, 500GB in a iPod Classic, really tempted to do that myself if I do get one. At the moment I guess I'll be fine with just the basic 60gb/80gb models but really good to know I can upgrade the HDD if I'm running out of space.

Why not a 7th gen nano?

I do like the new nano, it's just a bit expensive for the 16gb when compared to some of the older generations.

lunaoso

macrumors 65816
Sep 22, 2012
Boston, MA

How bout getting a 3rd gen 64gb iPod touch. They're goin for under 100 bucks on eBay right now. That would give you portability and the space needed for now and the future.

firedept

macrumors 603
Jul 8, 2011
Somewhere!
Wow, 500GB in a iPod Classic, really tempted to do that myself if I do get one. At the moment I guess I'll be fine with just the basic 60gb/80gb models but really good to know I can upgrade the HDD if I'm running out of space.

Yeah had to upgrade it as I run a lot of programs and movies on it. Movies really take up a lot of space. I have about 350 GB of movies and tons of music as well. I use my classic almost like an external HDD. Classic is still a very good iPod even if Apple does not continue to support it somewhere down the road. I have a real good place to go close to where I live and get it upgraded. The guys there always do a great job for me. Good solid piece of equipment. Well good luck with whatever decision you make. Hope you thoroughly enjoy it.

DevixLuvic

macrumors member
Jun 22, 2010
On top of a mountain
Personally, I'd go with the 6th gen Nano. I have a 8gb one and wear it as a watch, and find that it works great. Mind you, I have fairly big wrists so it doesn't seem out of place. Frees up the 8gb that was used on my iPhone, but if I were to have bought it I would've gotten the 16 (8 is somewhat little, especially if you want your entire library with you).

Other than that, I used to use a 5th gen Classic 60gb - Great piece of hardware. If you wanted to open it up and put a SSD inside, that thing would fly. Mine died, but I'm looking into HD replacement options. It isn't heavy (I also think the super light iPods feel too fragile, so the thickness of the 60gb drive isn't a problem)

Terror-Inferno

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 6, 2011
UK
Personally, I'd go with the 6th gen Nano. I have a 8gb one and wear it as a watch, and find that it works great. Mind you, I have fairly big wrists so it doesn't seem out of place. Frees up the 8gb that was used on my iPhone, but if I were to have bought it I would've gotten the 16 (8 is somewhat little, especially if you want your entire library with you).

Other than that, I used to use a 5th gen Classic 60gb - Great piece of hardware. If you wanted to open it up and put a SSD inside, that thing would fly. Mine died, but I'm looking into HD replacement options. It isn't heavy (I also think the super light iPods feel too fragile, so the thickness of the 60gb drive isn't a problem)

The more I think about it, I think the 6th gen Nano would be the best option for me. Mainly since it's a lot more portable compared to the iPod classic or touch, which would be like I'm carrying two phones with me.

How does the Nano's music player compare to the iPhone's music app?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.