Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mrochester

macrumors 601
Original poster
Feb 8, 2009
Hi all

I use my iPad 2 to listen to a lot of podcasts using Downcast. I'm potentially going to replace this and was wondering out of the iPad Mini and iPad with Retina Display which has the loudest speaker(s)?

Many thanks

M

WhiteIphone5

macrumors 65816
May 27, 2011
Lima, Peru
Hi all

I use my iPad 2 to listen to a lot of podcasts using Downcast. I'm potentially going to replace this and was wondering out of the iPad Mini and iPad with Retina Display which has the loudest speaker(s)?

Many thanks

M

Ipad 4th gen. Best speakers on a idevice ever! In my opinion that is..

shadowjeff

macrumors regular
Aug 3, 2010
iPad 4's speakers are pretty loud, mini is slightly softer or equally as loud. Keep in mind the mini has stereo speakers, i could hear more bass coming from it as compared to the ipad 4

Julien

macrumors G4
Jun 30, 2007
Atlanta
Hi all

Many thanks

M
If this is your only reason to replace your iPad then you could consider buying a BT/Airplay speaker instead.

Reactions: LogicalApex

steve dave

macrumors 6502a
Mar 29, 2010
iPad 4's speakers are pretty loud, mini is slightly softer or equally as loud. Keep in mind the mini has stereo speakers, i could hear more bass coming from it as compared to the ipad 4

I really don't understand the point of having stereo speakers that are two centimeters apart.

I believe Apple was right to not even mention it because it just doesn't matter.

Between the two, I feel like my ipad 4 speaker is louder than the mini. They seem to sound about the same aside from that.

joshwithachance

macrumors 68000
Dec 11, 2009
The loudest iPad is the 4th gen without a doubt. The mini may have stereo speakers, but that's completely null and void due to the fact that they're side by side.

s24dat

macrumors newbie
Jan 31, 2022
Forgive me for resurrecting a decade old thread. But, which iPad is now the loudest?

I have a 10.5 2017 iPad Pro, and am really impressed by how loud — and clear at max volume — the 4 speakers are.

Are subsequent iPads much better? Is the iPad mini 6 much worse? Do the 12.9 Pros do a better job with their larger screens and presumably more space for better speakers? Thinking of an upgrade, wouldn’t want to go backwards.

Thanks for the advice!

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
Forgive me for resurrecting a decade old thread. But, which iPad is now the loudest?

I have a 10.5 2017 iPad Pro, and am really impressed by how loud — and clear at max volume — the 4 speakers are.

Are subsequent iPads much better? Is the iPad mini 6 much worse? Do the 12.9 Pros do a better job with their larger screens and presumably more space for better speakers? Thinking of an upgrade, wouldn’t want to go backwards.

Thanks for the advice!

Honestly, I remember the Pro 10.5 was surprisingly not as loud as the Pro 9.7.

That said, bigger is usually better in this case and among iPads, the 12.9 are the best in terms of sound.

Reactions: s24dat

Digitalguy

macrumors 601
Apr 15, 2019

Thanks for the advice!
check this

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.