Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Old Nov 25, 2012, 09:48 AM   #1
Chuck-Norris
Banned

Question On my 5th iPhone 5 - should I just give up?

Purchased an iphone 5 unlocked since launch day.

Went through 5 of them so far since each one has some sort of cosmetic defect out of the box.

So far my 5th replacement has been the best, only a couple tiny nicks on the black shiny bezel.

I might seem over impulsive on this but hey, it was almost 900 dollars with taxes.

Should i stick with what I have , getting tired of going through iphoe 5s lol.
Chuck-Norris is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 25, 2012, 09:56 AM   #2
WashupDawg
macrumors member

I had to got through 3 to find one that worked. First one had dust or whatever under the screen, the second had a clicking screen.

My advice: live with it, if its small cosmetic things. Bad battery, loose screen or dead pixels are much worse. The phone will get scratched at some point inevitably.

I agree that the device should be perfect as it's pretty freaking expensive. But reality begs to differ. And no, my iPhone 5 isn't perfect either. But I really can't be arsed to study it closely all the time.
WashupDawg is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 25, 2012, 09:45 PM   #3
ixodes
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by WashupDawg View Post
My advice: live with it, if its small cosmetic things.
I strongly disagree with this Approach. Why is it OK for Apple to advertise their "magical & revolution" products, hyping them over the moon, then deliver mediocrity at best.

Here's why.

No one holds Apple accountable.

If people come to the store, Apple pacifies them with a replacement, paid for by us. They look good in doing so, all because it appears to be "free". Nothing is free, yet those who don't know any better think Apples so kind.

It's quite the game they run on us buyers.
Old Nov 28, 2012, 01:18 PM   #4
jrasero
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WashupDawg View Post
I had to got through 3 to find one that worked. First one had dust or whatever under the screen, the second had a clicking screen.

My advice: live with it, if its small cosmetic things. Bad battery, loose screen or dead pixels are much worse. The phone will get scratched at some point inevitably.

I agree that the device should be perfect as it's pretty freaking expensive. But reality begs to differ. And no, my iPhone 5 isn't perfect either. But I really can't be arsed to study it closely all the time.
This is probably the most sound advice. We all should know by now "scuffgate" is real and getting a pristine iPhone is hard to do. I went through two replacement in the black and slate due to nicks and scratches. Finally I just returned for a white and even on the white there are two minor minor scratches on the silver bezel that you can't really see. In the end I'd rather have a minor cosmetic problem that probably would have happened anyway from day to day usage than WIFI, LTE, battery, processor, and screen problems. However if you have huge marks then return. Keep in mind that with everyday use and no case your iPhone is defiantly going to loose some paint and nick, so just case up
jrasero is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2012, 01:22 PM   #5
VandyChem2009
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by swervinsuburban View Post
Actually the equivolant surface area of the phone to scratch would mean a fist sized scratch or scuff on a car, nobody would accept that would they? Dead pixels are a manufacturing defect, bad proximity sensor is a defect, loose radio button that shakes and rattles anytime you go over a bump would piss tons of people off, you're downplaying the severity of it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrasero View Post
This is probably the most sound advice. We all should know by now "scuffgate" is real and getting a pristine iPhone is hard to do. I went through two replacement in the black and slate due to nicks and scratches. Finally I just returned for a white and even on the white there are two minor minor scratches on the silver bezel that you can't really see. In the end I'd rather have a minor cosmetic problem that probably would have happened anyway from day to day usage than WIFI, LTE, battery, processor, and screen problems. However if you have huge marks then return. Keep in mind that with everyday use and no case your iPhone is defiantly going to loose some paint and nick, so just case up
LOL, defiantly going to loose. That's a funny thought. A phone defiantly losing some coating.
VandyChem2009 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2012, 01:33 PM   #6
Jalopybox
macrumors 6502a

Keep returning them until you find perfect. Like I said, it took 12 for me to find an acceptable phone. Maybe Apple partnered up with Vizio quietly.
Jalopybox is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 25, 2012, 09:58 AM   #7
MVallee
macrumors 6502

Put a case on it and you won't see it or don't put a case on it and you'll likely end up with even more scratches so there's no point in searching for a 'perfect' iPhone.
MVallee is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 25, 2012, 05:41 PM   #8
dialed1
macrumors 6502

Send a message via Skype™ to dialed1
No just check yourself in or seek counseling
Old Nov 25, 2012, 05:45 PM   #9
Mechinyun
macrumors 6502

I have been through about 8 of them. All had some issue. I would keep doing it except for me - it's the waste of my time. I have given up and lived with a "scuffed" edge.

It's sad that not one unit has been flawless out of the box. If this was a trac-phone it wouldn't bother me so much.

But this is apple - apple stands for perfect and they are failing.
Mechinyun is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 25, 2012, 05:57 PM   #10
darster
macrumors 68000

Ridiculous, absolutely ridiculous.
darster is offline   16 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 25, 2012, 06:02 PM   #11
jetlagged
macrumors regular

i exchanged my iphone 5 black that i bought last week. i went today to exchange it. the second time is a charm, and i'm happy, very happy that it's not scuffed.

well the phone looks good so far. no scuffs on the band, and back itself. no scuffs on the corner and edges. overall pretty satisfied. but at the same time i've come to accept that this phone will scuff over time eventually. until my case arrives wednesday this week, i'll sport my iphone 4 for now. now time to play with the phone itself and see if everything works, which i'm sure will be fine.

yeah it was nerve racking going in today at the apple store to exchange my iphone 5, it was embarassing, but apple store employees took it without questions asked and brought me out a brand new box sealed in the plastic wrapper iphone 5. so far no flaws yet, but i think its good. i wont go look for trouble.
jetlagged is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 25, 2012, 06:14 PM   #12
iapplelove
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetlagged View Post
i exchanged my iphone 5 black that i bought last week. i went today to exchange it. the second time is a charm, and i'm happy, very happy that it's not scuffed.

well the phone looks good so far. no scuffs on the band, and back itself. no scuffs on the corner and edges. overall pretty satisfied. but at the same time i've come to accept that this phone will scuff over time eventually. until my case arrives wednesday this week, i'll sport my iphone 4 for now. now time to play with the phone itself and see if everything works, which i'm sure will be fine.

yeah it was nerve racking going in today at the apple store to exchange my iphone 5, it was embarassing, but apple store employees took it without questions asked and brought me out a brand new box sealed in the plastic wrapper iphone 5. so far no flaws yet, but i think its good. i wont go look for trouble.
now,imagine if something really does goe wrong with your phone and you have to get it replaced .
iapplelove is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 25, 2012, 08:48 PM   #13
syd430

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetlagged View Post
until my case arrives wednesday this week, i'll sport my iphone 4 for now. now time to play with the phone itself and see if everything works, which i'm sure will be fine.
Too bad your case is going to scratch the anodised coating far more than using it without a case.

Also, if you're not going to use it until your case arrives, then honestly thats just sad and you probably shouldn't be buying a device that you can't afford in the first place.
  1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 25, 2012, 06:12 PM   #14
MattMJB0188
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by darster View Post
Ridiculous, absolutely ridiculous.
That he couldn't get a normal working iPhone? I agree.

I went through 3 iPhone 5's before getting a perfect one.

1st one I pre-ordered: had a loose piece inside moving around.

2nd one: Very loose/ratting sleep wake button

3rd one: Screen scratched out of the box

Perfect one: no scuffs, no rattling buttons, no issues. If I had to be picky, the home button has some slight play. My first one did too, but works fine.

No two iPhones are the same as far as build quality goes.
MattMJB0188 is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 25, 2012, 06:13 PM   #15
thadoggfather
macrumors 68030

Yeah iPhone 5 QC is terrible.

I'm holding onto my good one for dear life.
thadoggfather is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 25, 2012, 06:24 PM   #16
darster
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattMJB0188 View Post
That he couldn't get a normal working iPhone? I agree.

I went through 3 iPhone 5's before getting a perfect one.
They all worked! Just a few scuffs. Anyone that would return an item, not once, not twice, not 3, not 4, but 5 or more times because of a few scuffs is not mentally balanced. This is a true first world problem, and people who are so hung up on the looks of a damn phone, have serious issues in life.
darster is offline   8 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 25, 2012, 07:27 PM   #17
iSensei
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by dialed1 View Post
No just check yourself in or seek counseling
Not exactly. I paid $1,000 for mine and still waiting for it to be shipped. I expect a brand new product to be FLAWLESS. Just like when you buy a brand NEW car you expect it to be flawless. With time of course you'll get it scratched but that's in time. WTF my iPhone 4 and 4S were freaking flawless back when Jobs was in charge. I'd live with scuffs and what not on a second hand device but on a brand new Apple device no thanks. If the phone is flawless and you invest in a case/screen protector when you sell it it will keep its value, no? Jobs himself was OCD. Nothing wrong with wanting to be perfect and having high standards.

Last edited by iSensei; Nov 25, 2012 at 07:33 PM.
iSensei is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 25, 2012, 07:29 PM   #18
AutoUnion39
macrumors 68020

Jesus christ. People like OP give Apple fans a bad name. 5 phones, really? Is someone gonna die because your beloved iPhone has a scuff on the back of it?
Old Nov 25, 2012, 07:40 PM   #19
chrislaw
macrumors 6502a

Send a message via Yahoo to chrislaw
I bought a white one about a week ago from Verizon... can't seem to find anything wrong with it. Apparently there is, I just can't seem to find it.
Twitter - @ceegeelawrence Instagram - @ceegeelawrence
chrislaw is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 25, 2012, 07:41 PM   #20
numberforty1
macrumors 6502

5 phones????

maybe it's not the phone that's the problem...
Old Nov 25, 2012, 08:12 PM   #21
Chuck-Norris
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoUnion39 View Post
Jesus christ. People like OP give Apple fans a bad name. 5 phones, really? Is someone gonna die because your beloved iPhone has a scuff on the back of it?
So paying 900 dollars for something that should be flawless means nothing?

Nice input "fanboy"
Chuck-Norris is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 25, 2012, 08:44 PM   #22
AutoUnion39
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck-Norris View Post

Nice input "fanboy"
If you paid $900 for a unlocked iPhone 5, you're doing something wrong...
Old Nov 26, 2012, 11:37 AM   #23
retinarob
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck-Norris View Post

Nice input "fanboy"
I hope you get a flawless one and drop it in the parking lot. Not only drop it, but also, as you step forward, kick it.

EDIT: I just don't like people like you.
retinarob is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 26, 2012, 01:52 PM   #24
Jalopybox
macrumors 6502a

On my 12th iPhone 5. 5 I exchanged right at the Apple store and the Genius was as shocked as I was at how bad they were damaged out of the box. Chips, dents, screen lifted, dust. 6-12 were done via Apple Care via Fedex. I got tired of going to the store and had them mail me replacement. There were 2 phones that were acceptable cosmetically, but the screen was lifting and home button didn't work on the other. I never rejected a phone for a spec of dust size blemish-these were tic-tac sized or larger. It's just insane that these all passed QC. The lifted screen was the most shocking. You could see the clips that held it down, stupid. I can see people rejecting for microscopic defects, this is not what is happening.
Jalopybox is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 26, 2012, 05:54 PM   #25
dewthedru
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoUnion39 View Post

actually, people like you give apple fans a bad name. is there any other company out there that engenders such loyalty that they pressure fellow purchasers to ignore flaws in the product because it will eventually get that way anyway?

no. nobody is going to die. but as consumers, we have the power to set our own expectations. if apple doesn't want our business, fine. but don't tell me i am being unreasonable.
dewthedru is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone