Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

micrors4racer

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 19, 2012
Does the ambient light sensor on your iPhone 5 glow red? I noticed mine glows very slightly. I noticed it while rebooting my phone in the dark and the black boot up screen allowed me to see it without my eyes adjusting to the normally light colored screen. My ALS works fine so I am not worried just wondering if anyone else noticed this. If you are going to check you should load up a black background in a dark room and let your eyes adjust to the darkness. It seems to flicker and get brighter when you touch the screen. Take note that is very dim almost like the glow from the infrared emitters on some remote controls.

Givmeabrek

macrumors 68040
Apr 20, 2009
NY
Ha,ha. It is an infrared emmiter and receiver! You have great eyes. Most people can't see it. :eek:

micrors4racer

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 19, 2012
Ha,ha. It is an infrared emmiter and receiver! You have great eyes. Most people can't see it. :eek:

I though thats what it was. Just never noticed it on my other 5's (returned for dust entering the camera, broken flash), maybe the black area is a filter (my iphone is white) and its not aligned correctly and thus showing on this iPhone? Whatever it is, this iphone is otherwise perfect so not going to play the lottery :D

adnbek

macrumors 68000
Oct 22, 2011
Montreal, Quebec
It's the proximity sensor. And if you have "raise to speak" enabled for Siri, it's always on. Otherwise it only turns on when in a call.

micrors4racer

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 19, 2012
It's the proximity sensor. And if you have "raise to speak" enabled for Siri, it's always on. Otherwise it only turns on when in a call.

My raise to speak isn't on and the light seems to stay on wether or not I have auto brightness on. How many others have this defect? I think it is not a big issue at all and it might just be some kind of filter or cover that isnt aligned right on some iPhones.

virginblue4

macrumors 68020
Apr 15, 2012
United Kingdom
Look an any black iPhone 4, 4S or 5 and you will see it. Some seem to be more prominent than others but you will see them if you look close enough.

micrors4racer

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 19, 2012
Nope just interesting to note since I have never noticed it before on my other iPhones including 2 other 5's. I looked at my friends and his is the same but his eyes have hard time seeing it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.