Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old Nov 27, 2012, 08:23 AM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot

Siri 'Eyes Free' Mode Coming to Chevrolet Spark and Sonic in Early 2013

Back in June, Apple announced that it was working with car manufacturers on a new "Eyes Free" mode for Siri that would integrate with voice command buttons found in an increasing number of car models to allow users to interact with Siri without needing to look at their devices' screens. As part of his iOS 6 presentation at the company's Worldwide Developers Conference, Scott Forstall displayed a slide showing that Apple was working with BMW, GM, Mercedes, Land Rover, Jaguar, Audi, Toyota, Chrysler, and Honda on the initiative.

GM reportedly confirmed soon after that it would be bringing Eyes Free Siri to the Chevrolet Spark and Sonic within the following 12 months, and the company today announced more details on that integration. The announcement notes that Siri will be included as part of the MyLink system on several Spark and Sonic models beginning in early 2013.
Quote:
In the Spark and Sonic RS, owners can use Siri in Eyes Free mode to:

- Make voice-activated, hands-free calls to Contacts on their iPhone
- Play songs in the iTunes library, and even switch music sources automatically from AM/FM/XM radio to iPod mode
- Listen to, and compose and send an iMessage or text message to a phone number or anyone in saved Contacts
- Access Calendar and add appointments
- Minimize distraction even more by keeping the screen of the iPhone from lighting up, even when Siri answers simple questions such as game scores or the dates of national holidays
- While in Eyes Free mode, Siri will not provide answers to complex questions that require displaying a web page.

Article Link: Siri 'Eyes Free' Mode Coming to Chevrolet Spark and Sonic in Early 2013
MacRumors is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 2012, 08:26 AM   #2
I8P'CS
macrumors 6502

Its not an Apple car so people won't be interested. Just saying.
I8P'CS is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 2012, 08:36 AM   #3
bbeagle
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by I8P'CS View Post
So, my Toyota Corolla is an 'Apple car' otherwise I wouldn't have bought it?

Good logic there.

The Spark is too small a car for me, but the Sonic looks like a nice replacement car for my Corolla if it works better with my iPhone.

bbeagle is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 2012, 09:38 AM   #4
ncaissie
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbeagle View Post
So, my Toyota Corolla is an 'Apple car' otherwise I wouldn't have bought it?

Good logic there.

The Spark is too small a car for me, but the Sonic looks like a nice replacement car for my Corolla if it works better with my iPhone.

You know you’re a fanboy if you replace your car so it works better with your iphone. LMAO
Old Nov 27, 2012, 09:41 AM   #5
somethingelsefl
macrumors 6502

Next up: SIRI "Voice Free" - While you're driving, just simply think really hard about what your iPhone to do...and it will cause you to crash your car.
somethingelsefl is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 2012, 10:12 AM   #6
Technarchy
macrumors 68040

What? No S Voice support?
Technarchy is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 2012, 03:50 PM   #7
Tech198
macrumors 68040

I see no mention of the Ford Sync here.. Probably coz it doesn't need it, but would have been good... Probably better than what ford does now with Sync.
Old Nov 27, 2012, 10:08 AM   #8
sransari
macrumors regular

Not sure what's so complicated about a car stereo that uses standard bluetooth connection profiles to activate the voice activation on your cell phone. most $15 bluetooth headsets can activate siri or whatever voice activation software your phone has (google voice, vlingo, etc if you have an android)...so the novelty here is using standard connection profiles instead of proprietary ones? well done... :/
iPad 4th Gen Retina, iFone 5S
sransari is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 2012, 12:07 PM   #9
bbeagle
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncaissie View Post
You know you’re a fanboy if you replace your car so it works better with your iphone. LMAO
It's one of many things I look at when buying a car.

When I was younger, I wanted a fast and sexy car with leather seats and a sun roof, and I cared less about gas mileage, reliability, safety, number of passengers or trunk space, which I care about now.

'How it works with my phone', Navigation devices, Satellite Radio, etc. are all features that could sway me between 2 similar vehicles. It's not fanboy at all to want more convenience. It's only fanboy to choose that car over all other cars BECAUSE OF that feature, and that's not me, and I very much doubt it's more than 1% of fanboys that would do that.
bbeagle is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 2012, 12:26 PM   #10
puckhead193
macrumors G3

anyone else notice the wad of wire from her lav mic bulging out
iPod Touch, 64 GB iPhone 5, 64 GB iPad 3
puckhead193 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 2012, 12:36 PM   #11
kenboy127
macrumors newbie

Is it just me or does Siri over bluetooth sound like crap? I have tried it in a Toyota, Infiniti, and a Lexus - all sounded terrible. The weird thing is that music over bluetooth sounds crisp and clear. What gives?
kenboy127 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 2012, 04:18 PM   #12
nickgri
macrumors member

Siri voice

Get rid of the computer voice already-with the chips and storage of today how hard would it be really to get thousands of the most commonly used words recorded and then put back into sentence form with a nice real human voice?
nickgri is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2012, 02:59 AM   #13
jonnyblobby
macrumors member

whats new?

could be missing something but i have already found that when iPhone is connected to a car stereo via bluetooth that Siri functions eyes free already.
as in, instead of just showing a result to a voice enquiry, siri reads the result out (which isn't done when requests are made directly on the phone)
examples being, "open text message" and having siri read it out.
jonnyblobby is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 2012, 09:46 AM   #14
ncaissie
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by I8P'CS View Post
That gets announced with the Apple TV.
Old Nov 27, 2012, 09:48 AM   #15
JAT
macrumors 603

Chevrolet? They still exist? Huh.
Old Nov 27, 2012, 08:27 AM   #16
iapplelove
Banned

I actually find Siri to be most useful in a car.she works through BT just fine but seems like its only going to get better.
iapplelove is offline   7 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 2012, 08:27 AM   #17
1080p
macrumors 68000

Even the person in the pic doesn't dare use his iPhone 5 without a case.
Old Nov 27, 2012, 11:32 AM   #18
AnonMac50
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1080p View Post
Even the person in the pic doesn't dare use his iPhone 5 without a case.
Even the person in the pic doesn't dare to use an iPhone 5 to begin with!!
AnonMac50 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 2012, 11:42 AM   #19
BRyken
macrumors 6502

I was wondering when cars would start showing up with Siri integration.
Old Nov 27, 2012, 11:43 AM   #20
propinquity
macrumors newbie

My Parrot 9000mki hands-free system already has Siri integration. I can make phone calls, dictate text and email messages, ask for directions, etc. The Parrot system pipes Siri's responses through my 2002 Ford Escape's speaker system. Well, when Siri is working, that is.
propinquity is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 2012, 11:48 AM   #21
davidwes
macrumors regular

Eyes Free all the time

I love siri, but it really needs to be eyes free just in general.

The amount of times I have to look at the screen when using siri is mind boggling. If I'm using Siri, it's probably because I CAN'T look at the screen - either in a car (with no bluetooth), or running???

Seriously, I'm in the car with Siri. I give it an address and it starts guiding me (I haven't looked at the phone yet). Now I ask it how long till I arrive - It can't answer that - you have to look at the screen. Is there traffic - It can't answer that - you have to look at the screen.

How about Weather forecast? Siri will only SHOW you the weather, not tell you. If I could look at the phone, it would have been faster to just press the weather button. I was asking Siri specifically because I COULDN'T SEE the screen.
davidwes is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 2012, 08:28 AM   #22
Rot'nApple
macrumors 65816

Will 'Eyes Free' be something that dealerships can install in already purchased cars? I just bought a new vehicle and if it serves me well as my last, then it will be a decade before I even think of looking at cars...
/
/
/
Rot'nApple is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 2012, 08:36 AM   #23
Small White Car
macrumors G3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rot'nApple View Post
Will 'Eyes Free' be something that dealerships can install in already purchased cars? I just bought a new vehicle and if it serves me well as my last, then it will be a decade before I even think of looking at cars.../
Ha, yeah. I finally got a car with bluetooth and an aux port for the first time this year.

Looks like I'm always destined to be one generation behind in the automotive computer interface world.
Small White Car is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 2012, 08:38 AM   #24
burtx
macrumors newbie

Sweet thumb ring.
burtx is offline   7 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 2012, 12:51 PM   #25
frayne182
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by burtx View Post
sweet thumb ring.