Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old Nov 27, 2012, 09:27 AM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot

Apple Reportedly Retakes U.S. Smartphone Sales Lead from Android on iPhone 5 Strength

Research firm Kantar Worldpanel shares its latest data on U.S. smartphone sales, calculating that a strong debut from the iPhone 5 has enabled Apple to retake the lead from Android in the race for the top platform. The report pegs Apple's share of the market during the August-October period at 48.1%, compared to 46.7% for Android.
Quote:
Dominic Sunnebo, global consumer insight director at Kantar Worldpanel ComTech, comments: "The last time we saw iOS overtake Android in the US was when the iPhone 4S was released and Apple managed to retain its lead for three consecutive periods. This time we predict that Apple will beat its previous high of 49.3% and achieve its highest ever share of the US smartphone market within the next two periods."

Apple has, however, found stiffer competition from Android internationally, with Android holding 60-80% share in most other markets tracked by Kantar Worldpanel. Notable areas of weakness for Apple include Brazil (0.4%) and Spain (4.0%), but the company continues to perform fairly well in countries such as the the United Kingdom (32.7%) and Australia (29.4%).

The firm's surveys of U.S. iPhone customers finds a healthy 60/40 balance between upgrade buyers and new users, suggesting that Apple is continuing to see loyal customers while also attracting new users with the iPhone 5. According to the report, 92% of current Apple users indicate that they will purchase an iPhone as their next phone.

Article Link: Apple Reportedly Retakes U.S. Smartphone Sales Lead from Android on iPhone 5 Strength
MacRumors is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 2012, 09:28 AM   #2
cambox
macrumors regular

I live in the UK and a lot of people here are ditching the iphone as the screen is way to small, im sure its only a few but the screen issue is becoming a fact of life.
cambox is offline   16 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 2012, 09:30 AM   #3
goobot
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by cambox View Post
I live in the UK and a lot of people here are ditching the iphone as the screen is way to small, im sure its only a few but the screen issue is becoming a fact of life.
How is it too small? I remember people bitching it was too big in 2007. It's a phone, get a tablet if you want a big screen IMO.
goobot is offline   53 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 2012, 09:32 AM   #4
odditie
macrumors member

This graph seems wrong...I'm pretty sure RIM has a negative share at this point.
odditie is offline   19 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 2012, 10:21 AM   #5
M-O
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by odditie View Post
This graph seems wrong...I'm pretty sure RIM has a negative share at this point.
this graph does a great job of showing the race to the bottom.
M-O is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 2012, 12:50 PM   #6
teejaysyke
macrumors member

I've played with a Note 2 and an iPhone 5, and I must say the Note 2 is far superior to the iPhone.

To all of you who think you can't use the phone with one hand, you can, they have a setting "One Handed Operation" that switches the keyboard down and to the left/right depending on if you're right or left handed.
teejaysyke is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 2012, 03:22 PM   #7
McGiord
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by odditie View Post
So the people are actually selling the BB to the companies?
McGiord is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 2012, 09:33 AM   #8
Wowzera
macrumors 6502a

the biggest reason for so small market share in Brazil for Apple is the very high price.

The iPhone 5 still didn't arrive here, but iPhone 4S is being sold for R$ 1.900,00 (around 900$).
Old Nov 27, 2012, 09:35 AM   #9
Small White Car
macrumors G3

The mirroring of the two lines is pretty fascinating. They really are fighting over the same people now.

Gone are the days when they could both gain customers away from dumb-phones and both grow at ridiculous rates. Nope, now a sale for you is literally a customer stolen from the other guy.
Small White Car is offline   21 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 2012, 09:37 AM   #10
nrose101
macrumors member

Unfortunately Android will overtake the market cause carriers give them away for free. However I wish all those Android users would just use an iPhone once and realize it is worth the money!
Old Nov 27, 2012, 09:38 AM   #11
odditie
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Small White Car View Post
The mirroring of the two lines is pretty fascinating. They really are fighting over the same people now.

Gone are the days when they could both gain customers away from dumb-phones and both grow at ridiculous rates. Nope, now a sale for you is literally a customer stolen from the other guy.
If by fighting over the same people you mean they are fighting for anyone who is buying a smart phone, then yes. If you mean to say they are mirroring means Apple is capturing more of the people who debate between Android and Apple that is not what this says at all.
odditie is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 2012, 09:40 AM   #12
iPhoneMBAUser
macrumors newbie

Considering there is only 1 iphone per year (and only really add significant changes every 2 years) versus over 100 android phones, this is pretty impressive.

As for the screen size, I have no problems with my iPhone5 (heck, I even prefer the smaller iPhone4). I just wish they didn't make it so thin. A thicker/bigger battery would have been more preferable.
iPhoneMBAUser is offline   8 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 2012, 10:36 AM   #13
M-O
macrumors 6502

Quote:

just this summer the smartphone usage hit 50% of the US population. every day the mirroring effect you see will become closer to exact. if not disrupted, eventually they will stay constant as two parallel lines.
M-O is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 2012, 10:44 AM   #14
swarmster
macrumors 6502a

Quote:

You seem to be reading the graph wrong. This is sales share of smartphones for the quarter. If one company gains a greater share of all sales, the others have to have a lesser share. It does not necessarily mean anyone is 'switching'.
swarmster is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 2012, 10:56 AM   #15
inkswamp
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Not necessarily. Market share is a percentage of overall sales so this could be interpreted many ways. And given that so many people are still switching from "dumb" phones to smartphones, it's doubtful your interpretation is accurate. It could also mean that more newcomers to the smartphone market are choosing iPhones while existing users are staying where they are.
inkswamp is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 2012, 11:24 AM   #16
pgiguere1
macrumors 68000

Quote:

This is a proportion graph, not total sales. See "% Smartphone Sales Share" on the y-axis.

If the iPhone suddenly sells more, the Android line will drop even if Android sales don't actually slow down.
pgiguere1 is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 2012, 05:52 PM   #17
RobertMartens
macrumors 6502a

Quote:

The main point of the graph is that there are only two os players now.
I need a new phone, One that won't make me sick, One that won't make me crash my car, Or make me feel three feet thick, One that won't hurt my head, One that won't make me nervous,Wondering what to do
RobertMartens is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 2012, 09:36 AM   #18
Yvan256
macrumors 601

According to their charts, Canada has zero iPhone users and zero Android users. In fact, Canada doesn't even exists!
Yvan256 is offline   8 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 2012, 10:45 AM   #19
Thunderhawks
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yvan256 View Post
According to their charts, Canada has zero iPhone users and zero Android users. In fact, Canada doesn't even exists!
That's because Robin Williams was successful with his song:

BLAME CANADA
Old Nov 27, 2012, 09:38 AM   #20
GenesisST
macrumors 65816

I have nothing against two strong contenders! Of course, they will overtake one another every now and then.

I think that are 4 categories for Android and iOS:
1) Those who prefer iOS
2) Those who prefer Android
3) Those who despise iOS/Apple
4) Those who despise Android/Google

To each his own... Although those in #3 and #4 should get a life...

At this point, RIM and MS should just be included in "others". On the other hand, I welcome them for trying.
Old Nov 27, 2012, 10:21 AM   #21
somethingelsefl
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by GenesisST View Post
I have nothing against two strong contenders! Of course, they will overtake one another every now and then.

1) Those who prefer iOS

At this point, RIM and MS should just be included in "others". On the other hand, I welcome them for trying.

Well said. Competition is good for Apple. People forget that these are "preferences" not a religion or a lifestyle.
somethingelsefl is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 2012, 10:31 AM   #22
KdParker
macrumors 68020

Quote:

1) Those who prefer iOS

MS is doing more that just trying. In many ways they have out done android.

If they get their marketing in order and get more product out they will become a big player.
KdParker is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 2012, 02:44 PM   #23
Fruit Cake
macrumors 6502a

Quote:

1) Those who prefer iOS

Some of us prefer the best of both worlds and have both.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by johngordon View Post
The screen size issue is interesting. If the bigger screens on Android phones are all the better for surfing the net, then why do figures consistently show that more people are surfing the net on iOS devices?

There was an interesting article about this a while ago, the jist of which was that more people in the market for a smartphone are going for iOS, whereas more people in the market for a regular phone are ending up with Android smartphones.
Because figures are statistics, and statistics can be skewed easily, depending on who's benefiting.
Fruit Cake is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2012, 04:12 AM   #24
karlwig
macrumors regular

Quote:

1) Those who prefer iOS

To each his own...
I'm in a fifth category. I despise iOS, but I prefer Apple hardware and love my iPhone 5 despite the stale and boring software.
karlwig is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2012, 04:43 AM   #25
nia820
macrumors 6502a

Quote:

1) Those who prefer iOS

im a 5th category. i hate ios i think it is restrictive. but i love the app store. i love android. lots of freedom. but not impressed with google play store.
nia820 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion