Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

brock2621

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 8, 2007
Kentucky
Can anyone get an official time for pre-orders to begin? I assume either 3am EST or 1pm EST friday?

I haven't been able to get anything from Apple support as of yet...

forty2j

macrumors 68030
Jul 11, 2008
NJ
I expect this to be the normal thing where the Apple Store goes down overnight, and when it comes up you can buy stuff. I don't expect a ridiculous 3am preorder like the iOS devices.

Overg

macrumors 6502
May 26, 2012
I expect this to be the normal thing where the Apple Store goes down overnight, and when it comes up you can buy stuff. I don't expect a ridiculous 3am preorder like the iOS devices.

so pre order will start today for the 21.5?
or nothing will change until friday?

forty2j

macrumors 68030
Jul 11, 2008
NJ
so pre order will start today for the 21.5?
or nothing will change until friday?

Nothing until Friday.

On Friday morning (California time), you should be able to put a 21" in your cart for immediate shipping, and a 27" in your cart for shipping in a couple weeks.

mazakii

macrumors regular
Nov 6, 2012
Nothing until Friday.

On Friday morning (California time), you should be able to put a 21" in your cart for immediate shipping, and a 27" in your cart for shipping in a couple weeks.

Can we order 27" on Friday too?

"The 27-inch iMac will be available for order through the Apple Online Store and will begin shipping in December."

order immediately and ship in december,
or order and ship in december?

Scrapula

macrumors 6502
May 1, 2012
Seattle, WA
I start my 7 night graveyard shift on Wednesday night at the hospital where I work. I'm at a computer all night (9pm to 7am Pacific Time) and will be waiting anxiously to preorder the 27" early Friday morning. My birthday is December 1st, so hopefully, I will have my birthday present to myself already ordered.:D

Stitchup

macrumors newbie
Nov 25, 2012

"The 27-inch iMac will be available for order through the Apple Online Store and will begin shipping in December."

Seems like you will be able to order the 27" this friday

forty2j

macrumors 68030
Jul 11, 2008
NJ

My reading of the prerelease is that you'll be able to order 27" immediately on Friday, and all of the shipping times will be something like 2 weeks out.

lucasfunkt

macrumors 6502
Jun 11, 2012
Nothing until Friday.

When you order will the money come off your card right away or not until they dispatch it?

Broooce

macrumors member
May 15, 2012
I am sure they will be available at 8am uk time as they will be in store when shops open shortly after

lucasfunkt

macrumors 6502
Jun 11, 2012
Thanks.

Do we remain confident that any orders for 27" BTO iMacs made on the day you're first able to will arrive before the end of the year?

mchoffa

macrumors 6502a
Jul 12, 2008
Asheville, NC
This could be read two ways:

"The 27-inch iMac will be available for order through the Apple Online Store and will begin shipping in December." (two separate events, one now, one in December)

or

"The 27-inch iMac will be available for order through the Apple Online Store and will begin shipping ... in December." (as in both happening in December)

way to be vague, Apple :)

forty2j

macrumors 68030
Jul 11, 2008
NJ
Thanks.

Do we remain confident that any orders for 27" BTO iMacs made on the day you're first able to will arrive before the end of the year?

No. I wouldn't be at all surprised if BTOs had 6 week shipping times.

----------

This could be read two ways:

"The 27-inch iMac will be available for order through the Apple Online Store and will begin shipping in December." (two separate events, one now, one in December)

or

"The 27-inch iMac will be available for order through the Apple Online Store and will begin shipping ... in December." (as in both happening in December)

way to be vague, Apple :)

The additional "will" strongly suggests separate events.

mchoffa

macrumors 6502a
Jul 12, 2008
Asheville, NC

you're right, and I hope that's correct, although I'm betting even if they are taking orders Friday I won't see my BTO until after January 1... especially since it says "will BEGIN shipping in December", most likely meaning standard configs will ship out at the end of December

lucasfunkt

macrumors 6502
Jun 11, 2012
No. I wouldn't be at all surprised if BTOs had 6 week shipping times.

----------

That is enough to make me reconsider having a BTO iMac, even if I was to simply select a fusion drive that would delay my order very significantly?

forty2j

macrumors 68030
Jul 11, 2008
NJ
That is enough to make me reconsider having a BTO iMac, even if I was to simply select a fusion drive that would delay my order very significantly?

You'll find out on Friday, but I would bet it would. They're supply constrained, so BTOs go to the bottom of the list.

Anyone remember the lead time on BTO rMBPs at launch?

I would say it depends just how custom your BTO is. I think Apple will assume many punters will go for the Fusion Drive (which I want) and will have produced some stock of these as a BBO (an acronym I've just invented to mean built before order).

An Apple guy in London's White City store reckoned the Fusion Drive would be so popular it would be stocked in store as a standard build. Not sure about that.

Last edited:

BriMercer

macrumors regular
Mar 14, 2010
So, just to be clear, the consensus is that we'll be able to order on Friday morning at 12:00 AM Pacific Standard Time? Is that correct or is there speculation to the contrary?

lucasfunkt

macrumors 6502
Jun 11, 2012
So, just to be clear, the consensus is that we'll be able to order on Friday morning at 12:00 AM Pacific Standard Time? Is that correct or is there speculation to the contrary?

I wouldn't worry about times unless you only want a standard 21.5", sounds like whenever you order the earliest you can hope for is January :(

How much extra will I have to for a top model 27" i7 with 3tb fusion drive? In the US it looks like $600 which should convert to £374 but I fear it'll more likely be £500, that is my absolute limit, I hope it's less than that?

forty2j

macrumors 68030
Jul 11, 2008
NJ

No, I expect it to be around 9am PST.

washburn

macrumors 6502a
Apr 8, 2010
So what type of iMacs will be available in stores?

Just the base models and if you want 16gb you have to order and wait?

CaptMike

macrumors regular
Mar 27, 2012
Well, don't this suck

So I waited 8 months for this crap?

So now after the the announcement of the new design, on top of the let down on the lack of the optical drive and not being user RAM upgradable for the 21.5, they top it off with not being able to get the 21.5 with a Intel Core i7 Quad-Core or more than 1tb HD. And I can't even opt for a fusion drive in the 21.5.....that is crap.

If the previous (2012) was available I would now pull the trigger on that.

This is what you get waiting for something new. Don't think I'm going to be the beta tester for this thing.

Should have got it while I could via:
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/767671-REG/Apple_Z0M5_0002_21_5_iMac_Desktop_Computer.html

UPDATE: I do see that the above can be configured at this time with the 2.9 i7 and with the fusion drive
http://www.expercom.com/share?p=873047&o=2487,2489,2491,2495,2496,2499

Last edited:

Stitchup

macrumors newbie
Nov 25, 2012
So I waited 8 months for this crap?

So now after the the announcement of the new design, on top of the let down on the lack of the optical drive and not being user RAM upgradable for the 21.5, they top it off with not being able to get the 21.5 with a Intel Core i7 Quad-Core or more than 1tb HD. And I can't even opt for a fusion drive in the 21.5.....that is crap.

If the previous (2012) was available I would now pull the trigger on that.

This is what you get waiting for something new. Don't think I'm going to be the beta tester for this thing.

Should have got it while I could via:
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/767671-REG/Apple_Z0M5_0002_21_5_iMac_Desktop_Computer.html

Actually, you can buy a 21.5" with the 3.1 Ghz Core i7 and a Fusion drive in the high end model.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.