Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

windowstomac

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 23, 2011
Hi All,

I use hosted Exchange but happily use Mail as my client. However, I am putting a client on hosted Exchange and the provider offers a free copy of Outlook 2011 and I am tempted to use it for them.

What do people generally think of Outlook 2011? I have horrible memories of Entourage, which is the reason for my caution.

Bending Pixels

macrumors 65816
Jul 22, 2010
If you're using Lion or Mountain Lion, Outlook 2011 isn't able to import e-mail from the Mail client. There are third party apps available to do this (or you can do it manually), but.... Microsoft has advised they have no intention of fixing this problem.

Also, Outlook doesn't offer the ability to resize an image/video like you can with Mail.

I used it for about two weeks and got totally frustrated with its shortcomings. Went back to Mail. I only use Word and Excel if I absolutely have to.

takeshi74

macrumors 601
Feb 9, 2011
What do people generally think of Outlook 2011?
Feel free to take a look in this subforum -- keeping in mind that people rarely post when things are working fine. Or try a site restricted Google search:
https://www.google.com/search?q=out...sugexp=chrome,mod=11&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

It's mixed. I've had no problems with it. Others have.

I have horrible memories of Entourage, which is the reason for my caution.
It's definitely a different beast from Entourage.

Last edited:

bertopl

macrumors newbie
Jul 19, 2008
I recently moved away from outlook to the native mail, contact and calendar apps using a hosted exchange account. I liked outlook good enough since I use it a lot on my PCs at home and at work but I ran into some nasty glitches where I was getting numerous duplicate calendar entries being created only on the mac outlook. the PC outlook and OWA work as expected but as any event came up in my calendar, such as a birthday, outlook on the mac would always create at least one duplicate entry of the event. I've even seen outlook on the mac continuously create duplicate events as I was trying to delete the first duplicates, drove me crazy!! never had any problems with mail or contacts but the calendar was absolutely unacceptable.

firedept

macrumors 603
Jul 8, 2011
Somewhere!
I use it on one of my iMacs at home and have had no problems with it. It works well and does what I need it to do occasionally. My wife actually uses it more than I do, hence why I run it on one of my iMacs. She is a legal secretary and is quite use to all of its features as that is what she uses at work. She thoroughly enjoys using it and has no problems either. And she uses it hard. Lot different than Entourage.

dianeoforegon

macrumors 6502a
Apr 26, 2011
Oregon
If it's free, why not try it? The setup should be minimal.

My only caution would be if they have a small limit on their account and need to store data under "On My Computer" folders, use Mail.

Your memories of Entourage would pale in comparison to recovering "On My Computer" data in Outlook.

robanga

macrumors 68000
Aug 25, 2007
Oregon
I think it works reasonably well. If you client is a previous Outlook user they will be pretty much right at home. A big step up from Entourage in most respects, a few steps back (such as the unified dashboard etc.)

I use it daily on my business Mac although i do find myself going back and fourth between mail.app

If your client is going to use the calendar heavily, be ware of some issue such as the duplicating issue they have had but overall its a Windows like Outlook experience.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.