Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > Mac Blog Discussion

Old Nov 27, 2012, 04:14 PM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot

Apple Releases Thunderbolt Firmware Update v1.1

Apple has released an update to mid-2012 MacBook Pro models to fix an issue with some Thunderbolt cables. The 442KB update is available via Apple's support site and the Mac App Store.
Quote:
About Thunderbolt Firmware Update v1.1 This update addresses an issue with MacBook Pro (mid 2012) and some Thunderbolt cables that may prevent bus-powered Thunderbolt devices from functioning properly.
Article Link: Apple Releases Thunderbolt Firmware Update v1.1
MacRumors is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 2012, 04:17 PM   #2
keysofanxiety
macrumors 65816

Location: In a house that defies physics by being colder than absolute zero.
Phew, thank goodness they released this! Now my £2000 worth of Thunderbolt cables will work perfectly with my £1000 laptop.
keysofanxiety is online now   4 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 2012, 04:46 PM   #3
daneoni
macrumors G4

I think i've lost count of how many 'Thunderbolt' updates there have been since original release.
Old Nov 27, 2012, 04:48 PM   #4
perlkour
macrumors newbie

Hopefully this will fix the weirdness with the Ethernet adapter.
perlkour is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 2012, 05:08 PM   #5
1080p
macrumors 68000

When are they going to update the price of Thunderbolt accessories?
Old Nov 27, 2012, 05:31 PM   #6
psykick5
macrumors 6502

When is thunderbolt going to be affordable? It's been quite a while since it was released...
psykick5 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2012, 11:49 AM   #7
bretm
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by psykick5 View Post
When is thunderbolt going to be affordable? It's been quite a while since it was released...
I guess I don't understand. It comes standard on all current models. Peripherals are pretty much the same cost as FW800 versions or eSATA versions. What's the issue?
bretm is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 2012, 05:38 PM   #8
Neodym
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by perlkour View Post
What kind of weirdness? Mine works flawlessly as far as i can tell...

On second thought: Is this targetted explicitly to non-Retina MBP's? Not required on my rMBP according to the installer.
Neodym is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 2012, 05:49 PM   #9
nutmac
macrumors 68020

Bah! I have Thunderbolt Display, famous for USB ports not working correctly from time-to-time. I got all excited and read the headline as "Apple Releases Thunderbolt Display Firmware Update".
nutmac is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 2012, 05:56 PM   #10
Brian Y
macrumors 68020

Not compatible with 15" retina .

Was hoping it may fix the random freezing when I plug in my Thunderbolt Ethernet adapter.
Brian Y is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 2012, 07:29 PM   #11
SilentLoner
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by bma View Post

Was hoping it may fix the random freezing when I plug in my Thunderbolt Ethernet adapter.
I've never witnessed this which is a plus
SilentLoner is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2012, 01:26 AM   #12
darkplanets
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by bma View Post

I don't have that specific issue, but sometimes it does get a bit wonky upon waking and drops the network. The solution has always been to unplug and replug the TB cable -- unplugging the Ethernet cable doesn't do squat when the in line chips are confused.
darkplanets is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2012, 01:00 PM   #13
nspindel
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nutmac View Post
Bah! I have Thunderbolt Display, famous for USB ports not working correctly from time-to-time. I got all excited and read the headline as "Apple Releases Thunderbolt Display Firmware Update".
Same with me. Flakey problem, sometimes it happens, sometimes it doesn't. Connect the laptop to the TB display, and the USB ports don't connect. I use the USB keyboard, so it's a pretty serious issue. Good thing the trackpad is bluetooth! Only fix I've found is to do a full restart of the machine while it's connected to the display.

If I wanted to reboot my machine in order to get the keyboard to work, I could just use Windows!
nspindel is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 2012, 08:51 PM   #14
MTShipp
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by perlkour View Post
Do tell...I have one and wondered if it was performing as it should.
Old Nov 27, 2012, 11:34 PM   #15
MacDav
Banned

I still say it should be called "Lightning Bolt"
MacDav is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2012, 01:12 AM   #16
MadDawg2020
macrumors member

So when are they going to fix the MacPro computers that do not have Thunderbolt?
You know those professional computers who's users are the ones most likely to adopt a technology like Thunderbolt, which was designed to be as fast as possible for professional use!
MadDawg2020 is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2012, 01:17 AM   #17
MadDawg2020
macrumors member

im also kinda wondering when there will be actual Thunderbolt accessories besides $50 cables and $1000+ hard drive arrays?!

By the time Belkin actually releases its long awaited Thunderbolt breakout box, Apple will have already moved on to the next gen Applebolt standard declaring Thunderbolt a slow and obsolete technology, of course they will gladly sell you a $39 dongle so you can connect at least some of your antique accessories to the new port.
MadDawg2020 is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2012, 11:57 AM   #18
hfg
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacDav View Post
I still say it should be called "Lightning Bolt"
I seem to recall (from a year or two ago) that there is, or will be, a "Lightning Bolt" version of this. It is optical using fiber-optics in the cable rather than copper wire. Pictures of it were showing it as part of the USB-3 port rather than minidisplay-port and the optic cables were in 2 corners of the connector (the light transmitters/receivers were built in the devices and coupled to the fiber). They indicated that the optical version would run much faster than the wire version, didn't require active electronics in the cables ($$$), and could be available some time after the Thunderbolt was released.

I haven't seen much about it since ... so perhaps it is still being engineered to work?
hfg is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2012, 08:28 PM   #19
MacDav
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by hfg View Post
I seem to recall (from a year or two ago) that there is, or will be, a "Lightning Bolt" version of this. It is optical using fiber-optics in the cable rather than copper wire. Pictures of it were showing it as part of the USB-3 port rather than minidisplay-port and the optic cables were in 2 corners of the connector (the light transmitters/receivers were built in the devices and coupled to the fiber). They indicated that the optical version would run much faster than the wire version, didn't require active electronics in the cables ($$$), and could be available some time after the Thunderbolt was released.

I haven't seen much about it since ... so perhaps it is still being engineered to work?
Hey thanks, I now feel vindicated. I received a lot of flack when I posted this idea before. If you're right then it all makes sense.
MacDav is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2012, 08:56 PM   #20
hfg
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacDav View Post
Hey thanks, I now feel vindicated. I received a lot of flack when I posted this idea before. If you're right then it all makes sense.
I did a little more research and found that "Lightning Bolt" is a AMD name for their answer to Intel's/Apple's "Thunderbolt", and it is still using the mini-display port and was discussed early in 2012. The USB-3 optical is Intel's "Light Peak" and was demonstrated in 2010. Intel also has a "Optical Thunderbolt", again part of the mini-display port and was discussed in Jan. of 2012.

I don't know which, if any, of these products will actually see product usage any time soon. They all are seeking higher speeds with cheaper cables.

so ... now back to the scheduled thread about Thunderbolt ...

-howard
hfg is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2012, 09:35 PM   #21
britboyj
macrumors 6502

Excellent! Maybe now my Thunderbolt display will stop flickering randomly sometimes after I plug it in...
Old Nov 28, 2012, 01:14 AM   #22
spork183
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacRumors View Post

Apple has released an update to mid-2012 MacBook Pro models to fix an issue with some Thunderbolt cables. The 442KB update is available via Apple's support site and the Mac App Store.

Article Link: Apple Releases Thunderbolt Firmware Update v1.1
And it hasn't broken anything yet...
Old Nov 28, 2012, 10:22 AM   #23
yusukeaoki
macrumors 68030

Can you guys come up with more TB accessories and lower their price before you update my machine?
yusukeaoki is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 2012, 11:58 AM   #24
Kingsley Aghedo
macrumors newbie

Thunderbolt Firmware Update v1.1 addresses an issue with MacBook Pro models released in mid-2012 “and some Thunderbolt cables that may prevent bus-powered Thunderbolt devices from functioning properly,” according to Apple’s Support site.

Incremented once since its original release, the Thunderbolt Firmware Update weighs in at just 442 KB and applies to Macs running OS X Lion 10.7.4 or later (including Mountain Lion).

The firmware installation wizard supports multiple languages, including Deutsch, English, Français, Español, Italiano, Nederlands, Dansk, Norsk Bokmål, Polski, Português, Português Brasileiro, Pусский, Suomi, Svensk, Chinese, Japanese and Korean.

MacBook Pro mid-2012 customers can either download the installer package manually (via the link below) or summon it through the Updates tab in the Mac App Store.
Kingsley Aghedo is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 2012, 05:43 PM   #25
ogee
macrumors 6502

Fk up

Well this update had fked up my 13" mid 2012 MBP. After applying the "fix" my system boots to a flashing folder and question mark. Apples website helpfully says reapply the patch. How do you do that when you cant boot ?

EDIT : After some work, it looks like its screwed up my after market SSD. The last block is not writable.

Last edited by ogee; Nov 29, 2012 at 08:06 PM.
ogee is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > Mac Blog Discussion