Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

banffboop

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 15, 2011
I have created an excel spreadsheet on my mac, thinking I would like to buy Numbers as I would be able to use it better on my iPad (correct)
Can the Excel file that I created, be easily merged into a Numbers file without starting over?
Thanks for any help :confused:

MisterKeeks

macrumors 68000
Nov 15, 2012
Yes, Numbers supports the Excel format. If you are wondering how to get it onto your iPad, just send and email to yourself with it as an attachment, and send it to Numbers.

Switchback666

macrumors 68000
Nov 16, 2012
SXM
Ive had issues with excel files to open on ipad Numbers, some didnt open (froze) others did but a mess.

MisterKeeks

macrumors 68000
Nov 15, 2012
Yeah, that's always an issue with Word alternatives.

To the OP: If you need to use your iPad for spreadsheets, avoid Excel and use Numbers when possible. It has much better compatibility and keeps formatting the same.

Switchback666

macrumors 68000
Nov 16, 2012
SXM
Yeah, that's always an issue with Word alternatives.

To the OP: If you need to use your iPad for spreadsheets, avoid Excel and use Numbers when possible. It has much better compatibility and keeps formatting the same.

I agree if you want to update/work with files on your ipad better just use numbers on mac too.

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
I have created an excel spreadsheet on my mac, thinking I would like to buy Numbers as I would be able to use it better on my iPad (correct)
Can the Excel file that I created, be easily merged into a Numbers file without starting over?
Thanks for any help :confused:

The answer is... maybe. It depends on the complexity of the Excel spreadsheet you are trying to import to Numbers. If it is a spreadsheet with mostly just simple math calculations, odds are it will import with no problem. But if you are using some of the more advanced Excel features like pivot tables, don't count on it importing very well.

If if is nothing secret, I would be glad to try a Numbers import of your file if you want to send it to me. Just PM me.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.