Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old Nov 27, 2012, 09:14 PM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot

New Apple Print Ads Feature iPad Mini and Newsstand

9to5Mac has pooled together some images of a new set of print ads from Apple. The ads show off the 7.9-inch iPad mini's Newsstand capabilities on the back covers of magazines like The New Yorker and Time.

The ads tout that the magazines that people are reading are also available on the iPad mini in a digital format in a package smaller than the traditional print magazine size. Depicting the iPad mini at its actual size not only offers a comparison to the print versions but also highlights how the iPad may be better for periodicals from Newsstand than the full-sized iPad because of its smaller size and lighter weight.

Article Link: New Apple Print Ads Feature iPad Mini and Newsstand
MacRumors is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 2012, 09:15 PM   #2
Gen
macrumors 6502a

love the negative white space! pretty cool.
Gen is offline   14 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 2012, 09:16 PM   #3
SteveJobs2.0
macrumors 6502

Excellent marketing.
SteveJobs2.0 is offline   9 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 2012, 09:19 PM   #4
AppleMactablet
macrumors regular

When all magazines go digital-youll see an ad for a Small Time Magazine on the ipad mini
Old Nov 27, 2012, 09:21 PM   #5
WardC
macrumors 68020

Send a message via AIM to WardC
If you order one of those grand-spanking-new $3000 iMacs on Friday, they should at least throw in a free iPad Mini.

But Apple doesn't do stuff like this.
Thinking about Apple...
WardC is online now   6 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 2012, 09:24 PM   #6
Jessica Lares
macrumors 603

I actually thought it was a bit small when I saw my Time Magazine today, but it actually is the size of the Mini exactly. It feels so much bigger.
Old Nov 27, 2012, 10:17 PM   #7
JGowan
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by WardC View Post
If you order one of those grand-spanking-new $3000 iMacs on Friday, they should at least throw in a free iPad Mini.

Whaddaya talk? Those start at $1299! Troll much?
Old Nov 28, 2012, 02:27 AM   #8
Mr.damien

Quote:

Yeah, just as you get a free small car when you buy a Mercedes.

Ho wait ....
  0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2012, 07:40 AM   #9
Kaibelf
macrumors 6502a

Quote:

You mean the $1299 iMac? Exaggerate much?
Kaibelf is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2012, 08:59 AM   #10
Southshore
macrumors newbie

Quote:

$3K?
New math?
Southshore is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2012, 09:08 AM   #11
Zunjine
macrumors 6502a

Quote:

And for good reason.

An item's perceived quality and value is negatively impacted when you start giving them away for free as pack-ins. The last thing Apple wants to do is get people to start thinking of an iPad mini as a nice little extra that they toss in for nothing when you buy an iMac. It would do little to sell more iMacs (I mean - who would buy a $3000 device because they'd get a $300 device thrown in?!) and it would hurt the perceived quality of the iPad mini.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by pknz View Post
New writer?
Or, you know, a typo. I suspect "at its" was what the writer was aiming at. Presumably you never make typos. Must be nice.
Zunjine is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 2012, 10:30 PM   #12
MacDav
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gen View Post
love the negative white space! pretty cool.
Yeah , but look below

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by iphone495 View Post
Too much white in the back cover.
Yeah but look above
MacDav is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 2012, 09:16 PM   #13
iphone495
macrumors member

Too Much White

iphone495 is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 2012, 09:18 PM   #14
troop231
macrumors 601

Quote:
I think this was the goal.. to show how small the iPad mini's actual size is.
Old Nov 27, 2012, 09:23 PM   #15
iphone495
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by troop231 View Post
I think it's better if they have a white iPad on a black page.
iphone495 is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 2012, 09:40 PM   #16
troop231
macrumors 601

Quote:
If it's anything like reading white text on a black background, then no thanks! lol.
Old Nov 27, 2012, 09:42 PM   #17
ConCat
Banned

Hey there new writer! Welcome to MR!
ConCat is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 2012, 09:56 PM   #18
jimsowden
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Off brand. With apple, black background traditionally means pro or new technology. White means friendly and inviting.
Old Nov 28, 2012, 03:59 AM   #19
tdream
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by troop231 View Post
Like that's a positive thing?
Old Nov 28, 2012, 05:15 AM   #20
illutionz
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdream View Post
Like that's a positive thing?
Yes actually. For many people, they'd rather get Nexus 7, Kindle Fire, or iPad Mini rather than full scale 10" tablets myself included. I actually sold my iPad 3 (The New iPad) with retina display to go with the mini for portability sake.

Apple is trying to reach a different segment of the market with the iPad mini.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iGrip View Post
To me, it looks like the iMini has too small a screen to properly express great tablet apps. There are clear limits of how close you can physically place elements on a touch screen before users cannot reliably tap, flick, or pinch them. I think that the 10-inch screen size is the minimum size required to create great tablet apps.
The mini is targeted towards ebook reader for its portability and lower price relative to the 10" iPad. With the Mini, for example, you can get the version with data capabilities for $450 as opposed to $630. For this market, they value portability a lot more than capabilities. I've been using my iPad 3 to read and frankly while the big display is fantastic, it is really aggravating to hold with one hand.

Regarding the screen size, 7" is indeed too small and while I think 8.5" would be a perfect size for iPad mini, I think 7.9" that Apple chose is portable enough yet it is also usable.
Old Nov 27, 2012, 10:10 PM   #21
UnknownStudent
macrumors newbie

Quote:
The excessing amount of white spacing on the back cover of the magazine acts as a marketing tactic for advertisement of the iPad mini. The point of the white spacing is a comparison of spacing. It is trying to demonstrate how the iPad mini is able to do the same job as a standard 8.5" x 11" and the iPad is only 5.3" x 7.87".

I know that there are many criticism about the new iPad mini that it is not up to standard with the current retina display technology from Apple. But I see the whole focus to the iPad mini is to target a new line of investor, ebook users. Ebook is a popular trend in today's society. I have taken the CTrain from downtown core back home for many years. In the early years until now, I see a transformation of people who read paperback books to reading ebooks now. Therefore, the advertisement image have proved this point and many people do not see this.

Last edited by UnknownStudent; Nov 27, 2012 at 10:20 PM.
UnknownStudent is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 2012, 10:14 PM   #22
Mr. Buzzcut
macrumors regular

Too bad the already small fonts many magazines use will fade to a blurry mess on the mini. Yes, I've tried and seen with my own eyes. You have to hope the mag utilizes the text feature and you'll be using it on every page / article that isn't comprised entirely of pictures.
Mr. Buzzcut is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 2012, 10:32 PM   #23
UnknownStudent
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Buzzcut View Post
Too bad the already small fonts many magazines use will fade to a blurry mess on the mini. Yes, I've tried and seen with my own eyes. You have to hope the mag utilizes the text feature and you'll be using it on every page / article that isn't comprised entirely of pictures.
This isn't true. The magazine that you would be looking at on the iPad mini isn't a actual scanned version from the magazine. It is actually recreated to fit and work for the iPad. When you zoom into the text on any article, reading, and similar text documents on an iPad or iPhone, it auto focuses the text and clears it out for readers.
UnknownStudent is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2012, 02:14 AM   #24
ArcaneDevice
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnknownStudent View Post
This isn't true. The magazine that you would be looking at on the iPad mini isn't a actual scanned version from the magazine. It is actually recreated to fit and work for the iPad. When you zoom into the text on any article, reading, and similar text documents on an iPad or iPhone, it auto focuses the text and clears it out for readers.
That's what you think. Read more Newsstand magazines and you'll encounter quite a few that are badly optimized and just the PDFs thrown into a mobile template. Some don't even render the text correctly even when they are just dumped on there like that.

I for one already think the iPad is not large enough for magazines as it is, which is another reason why I think the Mini is a dumb device purely to fill a marketing niche.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdlink View Post
I'm sorry, but that is idiotic reasoning. Everyone who has ever used a tablet, especially an iOS tablet knows that the text on the tablet is resizable, and will morph via smart zoom while retaining its original clarity and sharpness. Paper text is one size, and never changes.
And that size is readable without any extra effort.

Until every magazine on Newsstand is made specifically for an iPad the majority consist of having to zoom and pan around the screen just to read a paragraph at a time.

Not only is it bad formatting and presentation but it makes a less than user friendly experience. Imagine if iOS books had to be zoomed and panned on every page of text.
ArcaneDevice is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2012, 09:06 AM   #25
Mr. Buzzcut
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnknownStudent View Post
Yes, exactly. When you zoom. That makes it a huge pain to flip through a mag if you're looking at more than photos.

My iPad 1 was not usable for mags due to its lousy resolution. The iPad 3 is great.

My point was simply they are showing one of the worst use cases for the mini. It has lots of other uses but staring at large pages of text is less than pleasing. IMO, of course.
Mr. Buzzcut is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion