Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Dec 16, 2011
My iPhone 4S which I purchased in April 2012 was just recently replaced due to a hardware issue this past weekend. I'll just keep this question short and sweet: since my phone is technically "new", does it come with a new warranty or does the old warranty apply? If my phone breaks out of warranty what do they charge on repairs/replacements?

iMikeT

macrumors 68020
Jul 8, 2006
California
New warranty, no. This new iPhone is warranted in the same timeframe as the one that was replaced. In other words, your warranty is good until April 2013.

Jordan921

macrumors 603
Jul 7, 2010
Bay Area
New warranty, no. This new iPhone is warranted in the same timeframe as the one that was replaced. In other words, your warranty is good until April 2013.

I could be wrong but I thought I read somewhere that there is only a 90day warranty with a replacement.

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.
I could be wrong but I thought I read somewhere that there is only a 90day warranty with a replacement.

90 days or the rest of the applecare warranty left from the day of purchase.
Whatever is greater.
If your applecare expires in one month the replacement has 3 months on it.
If you have 10 months left on your applecare the replacement has those 10 months inherited from the orginal iphones date of purchase.
You dont restart a new 1 year warranty every time you get a replacement for obvious reasons;)

Jordan921

macrumors 603
Jul 7, 2010
Bay Area
90 days or the rest of the applecare warranty left from the day of purchase.
Whatever is greater.
If your applecare expires in one month the replacement has 3 months on it.
If you have 10 months left on your applecare the replacement has those 10 months inherited from the orginal iphones date of purchase.
You dont restart a new 1 year warranty every time you get a replacement for obvious reasons;)

That's what I figured. I'm sure they wouldn't give you a whole new year of warranty. If that were so I would have brought my MacBook Air in lol

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.
That's what I figured. I'm sure they wouldn't give you a whole new year of warranty. If that were so I would have brought my MacBook Air in lol

I know, if that was the case I would go every year and get a replacement at a few weeks before it ends and get a whole new year of warrranty again:D
And keep doing it so it would never run out of warranty:D lol

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.