Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Old Nov 27, 2012, 10:32 PM   #1
SomeDudeAsking
macrumors 65816

Did Steve Jobs Really Work on the iPhone 5?

So, I'm sure you've heard of the rumors that before Steve Jobs died, one of the last things he did was to work on the iPhone 5 and make that one of the items Apple would release. Does anyone think this is true? I find it hard to believe Jobs did anything on the iPhone 5 because it's so lacking in any wow factor in the face of so much competition from Samsung. If I was in Steve Jobs' shoes working on the final project of my life, I wouldn't have been so conservative. What is most likely is that Jobs did not do anything at all with the iPhone 5, iPad Mini, etc....
SomeDudeAsking is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 2012, 10:54 PM   #2
vastoholic
macrumors 68000

All it said was that he left a road map for apple product for next few years (I think 5). It has plenty of wow factor. People these days are just unimpressed by amazing technology because its abundant.
Old Nov 27, 2012, 10:58 PM   #3
yOyOYoo
macrumors 6502a

I hope Steve Jobs planned for an upcoming iNote.

I really wish my iphone had a bigger screen. I'm sure I'm not the only one who would be happy with a Galaxy Note 2 sized iPhone.
yOyOYoo is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 2012, 11:02 PM   #4
Mrbobb
macrumors 601

Everybody knows, the last iPhone Jobs worked on was the 4s, "For Steve."
Mrbobb is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 2012, 11:06 PM   #5
kendall69
macrumors member

Steve even worked on the yet unheard of

Steve even worked on the yet unheard of i-Hologram. First previewed when the showed Tupac on stage at Coachella.
A virtual 3D hologram that you can interact and touch via virtual reality. A floating in virtual space keyboard.

YA Steve was brilliant
kendall69 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2012, 12:53 AM   #6
SunnyRenegade33
macrumors member

Send a message via Skype™ to SunnyRenegade33
Quote:
Originally Posted by yOyOYoo View Post

I really wish my iphone had a bigger screen. I'm sure I'm not the only one who would be happy with a Galaxy Note 2 sized iPhone.
Get the Galaxy S III then. I'm pretty sure iPhone users don't want a phone that's too big in both weight and screen size - because then it'll just feel too bulky. I think the iPhone 5's screen size is more than good enough with respect to what I'd expect out of a mobile phone... hell, I was even content with the iPhone 4S' screen.

If you want screen real estate, get an iPad mini or an iPad.
SunnyRenegade33 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2012, 02:16 PM   #7
Zwhaler
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyRenegade33 View Post
Get the Galaxy S III then. I'm pretty sure iPhone users don't want a phone that's too big in both weight and screen size - because then it'll just feel too bulky. I think the iPhone 5's screen size is more than good enough with respect to what I'd expect out of a mobile phone... hell, I was even content with the iPhone 4S' screen.

If you want screen real estate, get an iPad mini or an iPad.
I disagree, if Apple made a 4.5" or 5" iPhone users would go absolutely CRAZY for it. You know its true!
Old Nov 28, 2012, 02:21 PM   #8
Prime85
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zwhaler View Post
I disagree, if Apple made a 4.5" or 5" iPhone users would go absolutely CRAZY for it. You know its true!
Not really, I love the 4in screen and will not go bigger unless they stop making the iPhone with 4". Yes some will prefer it but everyone has their own niche and with iPhone 5 selling better then the SIII that shows that big screens are not for everyone.
Prime85 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2012, 07:22 PM   #9
rorschach
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zwhaler View Post
I wouldn't. I think even the 4-inch is a little too big now that I've been using it for a bit. If they made a 3.5-inch iPhone with LTE I would go for that in a heartbeat.
Old Nov 28, 2012, 01:17 AM   #10
iSensei
Banned

Quote:

iPad mini. Note 2 is way too damn big for a phone!
iSensei is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2012, 08:29 AM   #11
BFizzzle
Banned

Quote:

ipad mini? jk jk

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prime85 View Post
The iPhone 5 has plenty of the wow factor. First of all it is the fastest phone currently on the market. On geekbench it scores 1665 where the SIII only score around 1400. If that isn't wow then I don't know what is. If by wow factors you actually mean gimmicks then no it doesn't have any of those because the SIIi has plenty of gimmicks to go around.
gimmicks? elaborate more. seems a bit subjective to your opinion.

not quite the fastest...(yeah yeah i know geekbench doesnt really mean much in real world operation)

nexus 4, 2000...which is higher than the ip5
http://browser.primatelabs.com/geekbench2/1328090

the quad core S III i've seen any where from 16-2000
BFizzzle is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2012, 08:54 AM   #12
Prime85
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by BFizzzle View Post
ipad mini? jk jk

----------

not quite the fastest...(yeah yeah i know geekbench doesnt really mean much in real world operation)

Why do people get so offended over others opinion. I have had 3 androids since my 3GS. I had Optimus M, Esteem, and SIII. Android phones have horrible ram management and lag, even the SIII.

Also many things on the SIII are gimmicks (obviously my opinion so it's subjective). Such as PIP. Also their attempt to copy airplay with Samsung TVs is very laggy. NFC i would never use do to me wanting to keep my bank accounts and personal information private.

I did not like the phone and that's why I switched back to iOS with the iPhone 5. I have had 3 really bad experiences with android and don't plan on going back. Not to mentions waiting for updates is horrible if the phones even get an update.
Prime85 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2012, 09:01 AM   #13
BFizzzle
Banned

Quote:
Why do people get so offended over others opinion. I have had 3 androids since my 3GS. I had Optimus M, Esteem, and SIII. Android phones have horrible ram management and lag, even the SIII.

Also many things on the SIII are gimmicks (obviously my opinion so it's subjective). Such as PIP. Also their attempt to copy airplay with Samsung TVs is very laggy. NFC i would never use do to me wanting to keep my bank accounts and personal information private.

I did not like the phone and that's why I switched back to iOS with the iPhone 5. I have had 3 really bad experiences with android and don't plan on going back. Not to mentions waiting for updates is horrible if the phones even get an update.
no one was offended just informed you that the ip5 isnt the "fastest on the market" using your geekbench..and wanted you to elaborate.... apparently you are the one who is offended.
The word gimmick is thrown out of context on the forum a lot.. forgive me for asking you to elaborate on your idea of a gimmick
BFizzzle is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2012, 12:56 PM   #14
Kashsystems
macrumors 6502

Quote:
ipad mini? jk jk

----------

So basically if those phones used 2 cores they would be much slower than the 2 core iPhone 5? Maybe a quad core iPhone clock at 1.5ghz would score around 2500?

I mean we can get into arguments about efficiency, floating point performance on a per core basis, memory and memory bandwidth performance.

Maybe we can get into muti-thread performance or how many apps use all 4 cores or are optimized to do so in such a way that it matters.

Nobody wants to do that though because they arguments start collapsing around them.

These benches will be always be Apples to Oranges remarks.

I rather have the experience that I like and not look for individual ways to justify it.

Like sometimes I really want is an iPhone nano with a 2.5 inch screen with the same power and access to my apps.
Kashsystems is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2012, 07:11 PM   #15
iapplelove
Banned

Quote:

Eww no
iapplelove is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 18, 2013, 12:02 PM   #16
Mariaalma92
macrumors newbie

Quote:

Then get a GN2, I am an iPhone user and my boyfriend has the new note phone he loves it but really?? why would you want that in your pocket? Just get a mini iPad instead. It's super bulky and its heavy as heck. My iPhone is small still fits in my back pocket not bulky and my very favorite, IT'S WEIGHTLESS. I love the look of it, I have the white one (my first white iPhone) and I don't think I could ever get another phone brand ESPECIALLY a plastic phone!
Mariaalma92 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2012, 12:42 PM   #17
ixodes
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by vastoholic View Post
All it said was that he left a road map for apple product for next few years (I think 5). It has plenty of wow factor. People these days are just unimpressed by amazing technology because its abundant.
I see it a bit differently. Apple has a history of pretty great products, they've set the bar high. So when they fail to deliver, like they did with the iPhone 5, people are unimpressed, as well they should be.

I have been buying Apple products since 1991. I know what they are capable of, that's why I find the iPhone 5 dull and lackluster. I know better, it's as simple as that.
Old Nov 28, 2012, 12:57 PM   #18
BFizzzle
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ixodes View Post
I see it a bit differently. Apple has a history of pretty great products, they've set the bar high. So when they fail to deliver, like they did with the iPhone 5, people are unimpressed, as well they should be.

I have been buying Apple products since 1991. I know what they are capable of, that's why I find the iPhone 5 dull and lackluster. I know better, it's as simple as that.
i see whatchya mean but what do you propose would have been grounds for better on the iphone 5? honestly curious as to what you and others find desirable and up to par.

IMO iOS is one of the biggest reasons i feel like the iphone is lack lusting

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kashsystems View Post
So basically if those phones used 2 cores they would be much slower than the 2 core iPhone 5? Maybe a quad core iPhone clock at 1.5ghz would score around 2500?

I mean we can get into arguments about efficiency, floating point performance on a per core basis, memory and memory bandwidth performance.

Maybe we can get into muti-thread performance or how many apps use all 4 cores or are optimized to do so in such a way that it matters.

Nobody wants to do that though because they arguments start collapsing around them.

These benches will be always be Apples to Oranges remarks.

hence my comments about geekbench not meaning much and saying QUAD CORE devices. nor did i ever say the a6 wasnt fast.

Quote:
(yeah yeah i know geekbench doesnt really mean much in real world operation)
Quote:
"fastest on the market" using your geekbench

obviously i dont think geekbench is a good way to judge the devices preformance..but he was the one using it to judge
regardless it doesnt matter about efficiency etc.. whether i has the best/more powerfull hemmy, turbo diesel etc its about the results... those phones had higher benchmarks than it..making it "faster" by his choice of geekbench.. would a quadcore A6 run laps around them? well duh yes it prolly would
Old Nov 28, 2012, 01:16 PM   #19
Kashsystems
macrumors 6502

Quote:

hence my comments about geekbench not meaning much. nor did i ever say the a6 wasnt fast.
It wasn't targeted at you. I hate all this benchmark stuff in general. I quoted you because you had a link to the point I wanted to make.

AMD and INTEL had been fighting this kind of war for years. AMD last year, release the FX-8150 that although on a gigahertz level was faster than the I5-2500, was 40-50 percent slower on single thread performance.

Now this is not about what happen to either companies but about how design and efficiency matters more than what fanboys on both sides like to take their talking points and argue with you about.

Samsung makes beautiful phones, Apple makes beautiful phones. If anybody is really buying either over those phones because of benchmarks, then they deserve there misinformed folly.
Kashsystems is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2012, 01:20 PM   #20
BFizzzle
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kashsystems View Post
It wasn't targeted at you. I hate all this benchmark stuff in general. I quoted you because you had a link to the point I wanted to make.

AMD and INTEL had been fighting this kind of war for years. AMD last year, release the FX-8150 that although on a gigahertz level was faster than the I5-2500, was 40-50 percent slower on single thread performance.

Now this is not about what happen to either companies but about how design and efficiency matters more than what fanboys on both sides like to take their talking points and argue with you about.

Samsung makes beautiful phones, Apple makes beautiful phones. If anybody is really buying either over those phones because of benchmarks, then they deserve there misinformed folly.
ahh okay.. my bad. yeah im on the same page.
Old Nov 28, 2012, 01:56 PM   #21
vastoholic
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by ixodes View Post

Quote:
i see whatchya mean but what do you propose would have been grounds for better on the iphone 5? honestly curious as to what you and others find desirable and up to par.

IMO iOS is one of the biggest reasons i feel like the iphone is lack lusting[COLOR="#808080"]
Good points. I do think iOS could be much more than it is if they would just incorporate a few of androids ideas. I wonder if its all this copyright crap that is holding companies back or they are just unsure of what new technologies will become available in the next few years so they are holding back certain things to make sure they have something "new" to release with each iteration.
Old Nov 27, 2012, 11:01 PM   #22
Prime85
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by SomeDudeAsking View Post
So, I'm sure you've heard of the rumors that before Steve Jobs died, one of the last things he did was to work on the iPhone 5 and make that one of the items Apple would release. Does anyone think this is true? I find it hard to believe Jobs did anything on the iPhone 5 because it's so lacking in any wow factor in the face of so much competition from Samsung. If I was in Steve Jobs' shoes working on the final project of my life, I wouldn't have been so conservative. What is most likely is that Jobs did not do anything at all with the iPhone 5, iPad Mini, etc....
The iPhone 5 has plenty of the wow factor. First of all it is the fastest phone currently on the market. On geekbench it scores 1665 where the SIII only score around 1400. If that isn't wow then I don't know what is. If by wow factors you actually mean gimmicks then no it doesn't have any of those because the SIIi has plenty of gimmicks to go around.
Prime85 is offline   9 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2012, 04:11 AM   #23
load97
macrumors member

Thumbs down

Quote:
I smell loser...
load97 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2012, 08:19 AM   #24
Prime85
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by load97 View Post
I smell loser...
That doesn't make sense but whatever works for you.
Prime85 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 2012, 11:01 PM   #25
syd430

The risks will be left for the iphone 6. There was no reason to take a huge gamble with the iphone 5.
  2 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone