Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old Nov 28, 2012, 02:02 AM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot

New iMac and iPad Mini to Be in Short Supply Until 2013

DigiTimes reports that shipments of both the iPad mini and iMac are expected to be constrained throughout 2012. In both cases, display production appears to be the limiting factor.

For the iPad mini, the panels have reportedly seen low yield rates, especially from one of Apple's suppliers. As a result, Apple may only reach 6 million of an estimated 10 million target for iPad mini shipments in the fourth quarter of 2012.

Meanwhile, the newly announced iMacs will also see constrained supplies due to issues with iMac panels from LGD.
Quote:
Additionally, the sources said new iMac models use panels sourced only from LGD. The company has had to develop a new production process for mass producing the iMac panels and has limited capacity, which is delaying shipments.
Yields of both products aren't expected to reach target goals until the first quarter of 2013.

Apple just announced that the new iMac would go on sale on Friday, November 30th, but the 27" model wouldn't start shipping until December.

Article Link: New iMac and iPad Mini to Be in Short Supply Until 2013
MacRumors is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2012, 02:07 AM   #2
Powen
macrumors newbie

Still waiting for my iPad Mini Wifi + Cellular here in Singapore.
Powen is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2012, 02:08 AM   #3
mohsy90
macrumors 65816

Apple needs to get their **** together!
Old Nov 28, 2012, 02:19 AM   #4
SteveSparks
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by mohsy90 View Post
That is exactly what is happening. Apple is in the process of changing suppliers for all LCD panels. These issues had been resolved previously with Samsung but since they are divesting all business with Samsung they have to work with new suppliers to ramp up to meet needs.

Apple attempted to settle all the issue with Samsung so they could remain partners but that is not going to be possible since Samsung won't agree to a settlement, even when using binding arbitration.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by topmounter View Post
I thought Tim Cook was supposed to be a supply-chain guru

This is Tim changing suppliers. It would be worse if he was not a guru..
Old Nov 28, 2012, 02:22 AM   #5
marc11
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveSparks View Post
That is exactly what is happening. Apple is in the process of changing suppliers for all LCD panels. These issues had been resolved previously with Samsung but since they are divesting all business with Samsung they have to work with new suppliers to ramp up to meet needs.

Apple attempted to settle all the issue with Samsung so they could remain partners but that is not going to be possible since Samsung won't agree to a settlement, even when using binding arbitration.

----------

I think there is much more to this than just that; I feel there is a disconnect between design and manufacturing abilities as well as quality control issues at play. If Apple gave the manufacturer enough lead time they could produce enough displays, however it seems Apple is playing things too tight and not giving the suppliers time to ramp up and build up supply. This is not a supply chain guru at work....Supply Chain cannot solve irrational lead times and design decisions that are hard to produce in great numbers with high quality...
Old Nov 28, 2012, 02:24 AM   #6
mohsy90
macrumors 65816

Quote:

Looks like a grim transition for Apple. Samsung panels outcompete any other brand and from the looks of it, it's clearly evident that other suppliers can't handle the demand nor the yield percentages that Samsung was able to. Oh, and the quality.

I guess we'll just have to wait and see how this affects their entire product line over the next year.
Old Nov 28, 2012, 09:27 AM   #7
hayesk
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Looks like a grim transition for Apple. Samsung panels outcompete any other brand and from the looks of it, it's clearly evident that other suppliers can't handle the demand nor the yield percentages that Samsung was able to. Oh, and the quality.
Other suppliers will ramp up. It takes time.

As for quality, are you referring to the level of quality that caused gray splotches to appear on my Samsung TV after it went out of warranty? The same splotches that I saw in a sports bar on five of their Samsung TVs?

It wasn't even screen burn-in, it's randomly shaped gray splotches.

Quality, indeed.
hayesk is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2012, 07:15 PM   #8
ptram
macrumors newbie

Quote:
it's clearly evident that other suppliers can't handle the demand ... and the quality.
I'm writing from an HP LP2475w, based on an LG panel, and I have to say it is the best display I've ever worked on. So, I would not fear about quality too much.

Paolo
ptram is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2012, 05:14 AM   #9
G4DP
macrumors 65816

Quote:

----------

Are you serious? Apple had no intention of reaching an agreement with Samsung. They offered terms they knew Samsung could not agree too. There is no binding arbitration, what are you on?

As for Tim changing suppliers, they should have already had the excess supply in the system to allow such a large transition. You don't leave one supplier and then a day later think oh crap, better find a knew one. That would be pee poor management.

A small company you could understand there being problems, but not a company with over $100bn in the bank doing nothing.

If they were hoping for a holiday sales boost then they have fluffed it. People aren't going to want to wait 2 months for something Apple said you should you be able to buy in November, they will go elsewhere.
Old Nov 28, 2012, 06:12 AM   #10
clibinarius
macrumors 6502a

Quote:

----------

Samsung wasn't agreeing to a settlement on Apple's terms which are only approved, again, in the US. Honestly, Apple is getting what they deserve for stealing ideas, then suing other people for stealing the same ideas.
clibinarius is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2012, 08:11 AM   #11
Krazy Bill
Banned

Quote:
The crap you guys make up. I love it when people here act like they have some kind of personal insight into the inner-workings of Apple and its top executives.

The most powerful corporation on the planet does not launch a new product line during the holidays with an expectation the supply chains will be choked off. Somebody screwed up.
Krazy Bill is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2012, 09:45 AM   #12
tkwolf
macrumors regular

Quote:

----------

Apple's getting the b!tchslap back. They angered samsung to begin with right with all the patent lawsuits?
tkwolf is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2012, 02:23 AM   #13
MacDav
Banned

Quote:
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realise it doesn't say anything it's too late to stop reading it.

You think your signature doesn't say anything? I beg to differ. It speaks volumes about your psychological profile.
MacDav is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2012, 02:44 AM   #14
Steve121178
macrumors 68000

Quote:
It's not life or death. People just need to be patient.
Old Nov 28, 2012, 02:46 AM   #15
Truffy
macrumors 6502a

OMFG yet more shipment delays, it's the end of the world...

...except it's not, is it?
Old Nov 28, 2012, 03:36 AM   #16
Jibbajabba
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Truffy View Post
Not at all .. People should be used to that by now - Either queue for days or pay overpriced ones on eBay ..
Jibbajabba is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2012, 07:55 AM   #17
ncaissie
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Truffy View Post
It may feel that way for the people expecting to give them as gifts.
I hope your gifts get delayed until next year so you can see how it feels.
Don’t be so ignorant.
Old Nov 28, 2012, 02:49 AM   #18
ka-spot
macrumors 6502

...and July 2013 new model! Even thinner with touch screen, 2TB SSD, 5GB GPU DDR7, but because someone stops delivers of sand to Apple, the new iMac will be delayed for the 33th of the March 2025 ?
Old Nov 28, 2012, 03:18 AM   #19
Cavepainter
macrumors regular

I am exactly the intended market for this computer (the high-end 27" at least). However, the more I read about this new imac, I think I'm gonna stick with my 2.93 i7 for at least another year or so. If Apple had ditched the very carefully thought-out up-sell strategies that dictate all the options of what we can and can't get (and how much it all costs) and just gave us a very powerful, flexible all-in-one imac for a (generally) competitive price, I would buy it the day it was available.

I wonder how many people that requested things for the next imac asked for the edges of their next desktop computer to be thinner?

This is a company that is no longer interested in what any professional user wants or needs. Looking at it from a businessman's standpoint, Apple wants to take as much money as possible, in any way it can think of, from my small company. I have been a vocal fan and buyer of numerous Apple computers for well over 15 years. However, after the last few years of anemic Mac Pro "updates" and now this Imac, I'm gonna pass. Mac Pro models are a terrible bargain, and the new Imac seems to be gradually moving in the same direction. New Imac? No thanks, Apple.
Cavepainter is offline   6 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2012, 03:11 AM   #20
madrag
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve121178 View Post
Patience has a limit.

I have been waiting for the iMac since December 2011.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Bulge View Post
They haven't failed at anything here. Do your reaserch.
Releasing in the last day of November (still to be seen, in my opinion) is still November, but looks more like one of those lawyer things where technicalities are all that matters.

In this case, the release date is supposed to be meant for the customers, not for someone tracking the calendar. November in my head meant start of, or middle of, not the last day
madrag is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2012, 03:15 AM   #21
The Bulge
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by madrag View Post
Patience has a limit.

----------

Releasing in the last day of November (still to be seen, in my opinion) is still November, but looks more like one of those lawyer things where technicalities are all that matters.

In this case, the release date is supposed to be meant for the customers, not for someone tracking the calendar. November in my head meant start of, or middle of, not the last day
They said in november which has 30 days. Very clear to me.
The Bulge is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2012, 03:16 AM   #22
NMSUballa
macrumors member

Quote:
Patience has a limit.

----------

I think it is a double edged sword for Apple. If they wait for supply to pick up before going on sale then people will get mad since they have been waiting for a new iMac for awhile. They don't want those people going out and buying a new computer for Christmas so they announced it now so you will preorder early or at least wait a little longer.
NMSUballa is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2012, 05:32 AM   #23
mr.bee
macrumors regular

[QUOTE=madrag;16379112]Patience has a limit.

I have been waiting for the iMac since December 2011.[COLOR="#808080"]

----------

you don't know what patience is, I'm still waiting for a powerbook G5!!!
mr.bee is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2012, 02:08 PM   #24
iRCL
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Patience has a limit.

----------

If you placed your order on day 1 then you aren't going to be affected. If you've been waiting for a year then you obviously placed a pre-order.
iRCL is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2012, 06:12 AM   #25
frayne182
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve121178 View Post
Shouldn't have to be this patient bud.

and also I see iPad mini's everytime I walk into a store. Maybe its just here....

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion