Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mr. Anderson

Moderator emeritus
Nov 1, 2001
VA
Most likely this is all based on the research gained from working on Michael Jackson - who has already had over a dozen faces......it would be weird to see someone who looked like you but wasn't. Also, this was something simillar to the latest Bond film - but the technique is quite a bit different.

D

Durandal7

macrumors 68040
Feb 24, 2001
The method in the Bond movie was a lot less creepy then this.

I just had a scary thought, does this mean that in the future we're going to be seeing dead celebrity face auctions?

wdlove

macrumors P6
Oct 20, 2002
I can see that it would be beneficial for traumatic accidents and cancer victims. The problem will be getting donors!

mymemory

macrumors 68020
May 9, 2001
Miami
Why every time I read something related with faces I think in Michael Jackson too?

I can see it coming... "A couple that have been married for 40 years decided to change their faces to add something new to their relationship. The old man is using a Brad Pitt cloned face and his wife a Tracy Lords looks a like too..."

Imagine poor mexican good looking girls donating their faces or poeple using faces from japanese girls from the "black market"... damn, I just do not want to talk about this any more.

Imagine getting a dog face!

Mr. Anderson

Moderator emeritus
Nov 1, 2001
VA
Originally posted by mymemory

Imagine getting a dog face!

But what about designer faces? Its quite possible to pick any number of features and see if you can find a 'match' - but seeing as how you'd have to use a dead body to get the face transplant - or a clone in farther future - legal issues will be intense. A black market for faces - ugh, that doesn't sound too promising.

D

scem0

macrumors 604
Jul 16, 2002
back in NYC!
I wonder what Michael Jackson would look like if this had been
available the last 15 years. His face might be even more warped
then it is now :eek: :rolleyes: ;) :D

wdlove

macrumors P6
Oct 20, 2002
Hopefully today's research will lead to the growth of adipose tissue, dermis, & epidermis in the lab. That plastic surgeons will soon have the abiltiy to build a new face. This would elevate the ethical/moral dilema.

On a PBS presentation science already has the ability to build an ear & nose.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.