Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old Nov 29, 2012, 02:33 AM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot

Scott Forstall Deserved to be Ousted from Apple Says Former Apple Exec

In an interview with BBC, Tony Fadell claims that former Apple senior vice president of iOS Scott Forstall "got what he deserved," when he was forced to leave Apple.

Fadell is widely known as the godfather of the iPod, and he formerly served as the senior vice president of the iPod division and as a special advisor to Steve Jobs.

After Fadell left Apple in 2008, there were rumors that Forstall and Fadell butted heads on more than one occasion. A 2011 profile of Forstall suggested that he was difficult to work with and had fought with Fadell over the operating system for the iPhone, which eventually led to Fadell's departure from the company.

The interviewer asked about Forstall's personality and personal problems that Fadell had with Forstall, but Fadell declined to comment further and simply reiterated his previous statement.
Quote:
"I think what happened just a few weeks back was deserved and justified."
When asked about Apple, Fadell said that he thought the company was in a "great place" but mentioned that there had been cheering in Cupertino when Forstall was ousted.

Currently, Tony Fadell is the CEO of Nest, the company that has created the popular Nest Learning Thermostat. Scott Forstall is serving as an advisor to Tim Cook and will be leaving Apple in 2013.

Article Link: Scott Forstall Deserved to be Ousted from Apple Says Former Apple Exec
MacRumors is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 2012, 02:36 AM   #2
Negritude
macrumors regular

"...got what he deserved..."

If only every day could be "tell the truth" day.
Negritude is offline   12 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 2012, 02:37 AM   #3
HiRez
macrumors 601

The question is, can the guys who took over for Forstall do better?
Old Nov 29, 2012, 02:38 AM   #4
Michaelgtrusa
macrumors 601

Deserved maybe, but the man talent.
Old Nov 29, 2012, 03:52 AM   #5
everything-i
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiRez View Post
It would be hard to do worse, but not impossible
everything-i is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 2012, 10:04 AM   #6
charlituna
macrumors G3

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiRez View Post
Considering that its Sir Jony at the helm, yeah he likely can. Remember that Steve respected Sir Js skills enough to put him in a highly protected status with near total control over design decisions. Something Steve didn't give his BFF Scott. That to me is telling.
charlituna is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 2012, 02:38 AM   #7
opeter
macrumors 6502a

Hmm ... I thought, Forstall will be the next Steve Jobs.
Anyway, he would be still better than this idiot Coock ...
Old Nov 29, 2012, 02:46 AM   #8
Macist
macrumors 6502a

The thing is if you want to position yourself as number one innovator you can't have institutionalised dinosaurs acting as a obstruction to new talent and fresh thinking.

It was clear that despite numerous acquisitions of interesting technology companies and their teams over the past few years, iOS seemed strangely moribund in terms of major innovations. Something was a spanner in the works Turned out it was likely Forstall.
Macist is offline   7 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 2012, 02:58 AM   #9
osaga
macrumors 6502

that's a good read, thanks am

Last edited by osaga; Nov 29, 2012 at 03:05 AM.
osaga is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 2012, 02:48 AM   #10
osaga
macrumors 6502

I wish someone would just tell us what the jackass (Forstall) did to deserve what he got. Can't macrumors email some former underlings and get a scoop?
osaga is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 2012, 02:50 AM   #11
arn
macrumors god

Send a message via AIM to arn
Quote:
Originally Posted by osaga View Post
I wish someone would just tell us what the jackass (Forstall) did to deserve what he got. Can't macrumors email some former underlings and get a scoop?
http://www.businessweek.com/magazine...-10122011.html

this profile of Forstall might be helpful

arn
arn is offline   13 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 2012, 08:53 AM   #12
Clubber
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by osaga View Post
There are two rules to tech:

1. Be good at your job.
2. Don't be an *******.
Old Nov 29, 2012, 09:10 AM   #13
MisterBigMack
macrumors member

We only really properly saw how Forstall acted and how he was on the keynotes - nobody on here especially, followed him round the Apple campus everyday so we dont know what went behind closed doors

But anyways apart from Maps (which I saw the guy who overlooked that app got fired other day didnt he anyways?) I like iOS6 - and thats all the matters to me - its a nice relation to OSX and looking forward to future things
Old Nov 29, 2012, 09:56 AM   #14
Tailpike1153
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clubber View Post
There are two rules to tech:

1. Be good at your job.
2. Don't be an *******.
Not sure about #2.

Cause there have been a bunch of "nice" people in the tech world.

1. Bill Gates
2. Steve Jobs
3. Larry Ellison
4. Senior Leadership at ATT, Verizon, BellSouth, Comcast... (ie the American Telcom and Cable industries)
5. Carly Fiorino
6. Thomas Edison
7. Google leadership (if you aren't drinking the Don't Be Evil kool-aid)
8. HP management. For some reason it makes perfect sense to have a multimillion dollar American account call the customer service line to the call center in Guatemala, where the staff can barely speak Spanish (fugedabout American), to placed on hold for 3 hours while "Ma-hew" goes to find the one person in the village who can say "I send somebody."
9. Fill in the Blank

Somehow these people keep their jobs or move on to other good jobs. All by being garbage. Dang, I need to move to their level.

Last edited by OllyW; Nov 30, 2012 at 04:10 AM. Reason: Circumventing the profanity filter
Tailpike1153 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 2012, 06:46 AM   #15
throAU
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by opeter View Post
Anyway, he would be still better than this idiot Coock ...
You realise cook was instrumental in turning apple into a profitable business again?
throAU is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 2012, 12:52 PM   #16
theanimaster
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by throAU View Post
You realise cook was instrumental in turning apple into a profitable business again?
True, wouldn't be surprised to learn that he was pretty much running the company years before Steve's departure.

Tim Cook was the one who cut all the unnecessary spending, closed stores that weren't turning a profit and basically streamlined everything.

With spending down and easier choices for consumers, Apple started making money again!

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smigit View Post
I can't see it happening at all to be honest. By all reports he is great when it comes to technology, however unlike jobs did, it seems pretty clear he doesn't hold the respect of his peers which would be pretty fundamental for any come back effort.

While he has spent a good deal of his working life at Apple, I doubt he has one fifth of the emotional attachment to it that Jobs had. I really don't see him having the same passion towards Apple that Jobs had, even if it does mean a lot to him.

Also back when Jobs returned, Apple were desperate. It would be a huge swing in momentum for them to have to make a similar move to get him and outside of a technical role, I'm not sure what he would offer that the other executives can't. I'm sure Forstall will do great things, but I don't think he'll be coming back as CEO of Apple or anything like that.

Great?? When Scott worked on OS X (Leopard) it became THE first version of OS X to be so ******* that it wouldn't install properly! Fortunately he didn't continue with OS X, but the damage had been dealt.
theanimaster is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 2012, 10:14 AM   #17
Robert.Walter
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Negritude View Post
"...got what he deserved..."

If only every day could be "tell the truth" day.
Feeling a bit of the "itis"?
Robert.Walter is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 2012, 02:48 AM   #18
WatchTheThrone
macrumors regular

Reminds me of when Steve Jobs was kicked out of Apple then came back....hhhhmmmm maybe he will be apples savior in the future
WatchTheThrone is offline   15 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 2012, 03:03 AM   #19
opeter
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by WatchTheThrone View Post
Reminds me of when Steve Jobs was kicked out of Apple then came back....hhhhmmmm maybe he will be apples savior in the future
Yes, you are right. I fully agree.
Old Nov 29, 2012, 05:16 AM   #20
Radio
In Time-Out

Quote:
You insult Steve jobs legacy.

Jobs is a rarity.

Forstall you are no Steve Jobs.
Radio is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 2012, 09:55 AM   #21
WatchTheThrone
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radio View Post
You insult Steve jobs legacy.

Jobs is a rarity.

Forstall you are no Steve Jobs.
I never compared Steve Jobs with Forstall I just compared the same situation of them being forced out of apple. Steve Jobs was 1 in a million. May he rest in peace.
WatchTheThrone is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 2012, 05:58 AM   #22
D-a-a-n
macrumors regular

Quote:
Skeuomorphism to the rescue!
Old Nov 29, 2012, 06:06 AM   #23
marmotmammal
macrumors member

Dirt is good!? Forestall was apparently Jobs' pet, and at one time was groomed for CEO. It seems he suffered a crisis when circumstances spawned a new boss, his second ever in his entire professional working career, a former IBMer named Tim Cook who didn't tether Forestall like Jobs did.

I think Forestall is kept on the payroll to keep him hush. What can he possibly contribute on the Apple campus if he's blacklisted? Perhaps he's been banned from Infinite Loop, just take the pay and shutup until April.
marmotmammal is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 2012, 09:53 AM   #24
charlituna
macrumors G3

Quote:
Not at all the same. But nice try.
charlituna is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 2012, 02:51 AM   #25
Bevz
macrumors 6502a

He's probably a bit biased tho considering he didn't get on with forstall, and I seem to remember it was iOS these guys fell out over... Forstall was the one arguing for an OSX core to iOS which turned out to be a fantastic move! Forstall may have been a horrible person but a lot of people said the same thing about Steve! He clearly had good instincts when it came to iOS! I shall be reserving judgement until I hear more about why he went... I fear they may just be picking off the big personalities and loosing talent... But likewise may be a great move... Dunno... Time will tell.
Bevz is offline   11 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion