Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

pocketpenguin

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 29, 2012
Longtime lurker with a first post so please be kind...

Does anyone know if the Sprint and Verizon iPad Gen 4 models work on both networks? They appear to have the same model number according apple's site, but are they locked? I'm hoping/guessing that there is no difference except the SIM cards between the two, based on past models being unlocked and the fact that they carry the same model number, but can anyone confirm this?

From apple's site:
Model A1459 = ATT iPad (4th generation) Wi-Fi + Cellular
Model A1460 = Sprint/Verizon iPad (4th generation) Wi-Fi + Cellular (MM)

The reason why I ask is that some Target and BB stores seem to have Sprint models, but not Verizon. As far as I can tell, only Verizon has LTE in my area. I'd like to get the model with the most flexibility and it looks like the Verizon model works with both Verizon and ATT (4g but not LTE). I wouldn't mind buying the sprint model if I can just get a Verizon SIM from Ebay and use it on Verizon.

davideotape

macrumors 6502a
Nov 16, 2012
i think no but im very interested in this as well, that would make my carrier decision so much easier

KoukiFC3S

macrumors 6502a
Jul 4, 2010
It won't work. Verizon has a database with the serial numbers that are allowed to access its network, so a Sprint model won't work.

pocketpenguin

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 29, 2012
It won't work. Verizon has a database with the serial numbers that are allowed to access its network, so a Sprint model won't work.

So, in effect, the sprint/verizon versions of the ipad 4's are carrier locked even though they aren't locked by Apple and the hardware is identical. Bummer. But, it doesn't surprise me in the least. US telco's suck.

Fruit Cake

macrumors 6502a
Mar 31, 2012
Really? So I have an intl A1460, are you saying if I came to us for holiday, Verizon don't want my business?

Penandink

macrumors newbie
Jun 13, 2013
Ipad A1460

You have probably sorted out your problem by now. I don't know which country you are traveling to the U.S. from, but you should be able to remove your SIM card, pop in a new one from a U.S. carrier and be ready to go. Test it before you leave the store.

I had the same problem in reverse. Someone gave me a A1640 ipad as a Xmas gift. It was "locked" into the Sprint data plan. I traveled to Australia, replaced the Sim with a local carrier's SIM and had no problems (although I can't remember whether I was accessing 4G/LTE. In any event, I didn't have a problem using my ipad in Australia).

Only ipads sold in the U.S. are "locked". It's not the model number that is "locked", it is the IMEI number (find it in Settings) that is registered with a particular data plan provider -- ATT, Verizon or Sprint. The data plan provider is able to "unlock" that number with a couple of key strokes.

Unlike cell phones, the purchase price of an ipad is not subsidized by the provider, so there is no justification whatsoever for "locking" an ipad to a particular carrier. The whole business of "locking" ipads is a consumer scam in which Apple is complicit.

Now I'm back in the U.S. I'll try to get my Ipad "unlocked" from Sprint so I can add my ipad data plan to my cell phone plan -- which is NOT with Sprint. I'll start by doing what I did in Australia -- popping out the SIM and replacing it with one from the same carrier I use for my cell phone. If that doesn't work, I'll tackle Sprint directly to make those couple of key stokes.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.