Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

fstevens

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 2, 2008
I got my 5 at the end of October, and didn't realize that it was using cell data while on wifi until late last week. It has already been upgraded to iOS 6.0.1 and has the most recent Verizon carrier version (13.3). I've reported this to Verizon and Apple; both say this is a known issue, sit tight, we're working on it, turn off cell data when you're on wifi. I don't see much about people continuing to have this problem - is there a fix for it that the Verizon and Apple people I talked to don't know about? Or are people just suffering in silence? Or is this an isolated instance (in spite of Verizon's and Apple's assurances that this is a known problem)?

Faye

dictoresno

macrumors 601
Apr 30, 2012
NJ
not happening to me. i used just shy of 0.8GB last month (4GB plan) and im on wifi at work for 12 hrs and when at home. only time im off wifi is when im our and about, including the bar for 5 or so hours every couple of days. lots of word with friends, FB, twitter, browsing and very little youtube. when im on wifi, i use the phone alot too. i would see some crazy usage if i was using cellular data while on wifi as well.

egodspeed

macrumors member
Dec 1, 2012
Fyi...

I just signed up for Verizon Wireless with an iPhone 5 earlier this week after switching from an iPhone 5 on another provider. I just noticed that I used cellular data today and I've been at home with a STRONG WiFi signal! I have noticed the times I appear to be using data is immediately after I bring the phone up to use it after it's been sitting around in sleep mode or idle for a while. It's as if it was in some power saving mode with WiFi off and then I turn on the phone and I immediately see "LTE" for a second or so before showing that I'm connected to WiFi. This is strange because, well, I thought I was on WiFi the entire time. I would like to point out that I also use two Apple Airports (Extreme and Express, both updated) for my WiFi at the house. My iPhone 5 is also updated to iOS 6.0.1 and the carrier settings are Verizon 13.3.

Regardless of what's really taking place, I just got off the phone with Verizon (and Apple) and this is what they told me to do:

1) Reset all SETTINGS. Not just network settings, but ALL of them. ONLY SETTINGS. Test to see if you're still being charged data.

2) If resetting all settings doesn't work, then restore the phone and set it up as a NEW phone. Do NOT restore from a backup, which is what I did when I switched to Verizon.

3) If those two options don't work, I was told by Apple to get the phone replaced at my local Apple store. Yes, REPLACED. As if it's hardware related (I doubt it).

I hope this helps. I haven't tried this out yet, but I will try it out now and report back shortly.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.