Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > Mac Blog Discussion

Old Nov 29, 2012, 02:04 PM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot

iStat Menus Updated With New Look, History Views, and Bandwidth Monitor

iStat Menus by Bjango has been updated to version 4, adding a new look and new features. Among other things, the app now shows a historical chart of various system metrics looking at the past hour, 24 hours and week. It also adds a Little Snitch-esque look at which processes are using up network bandwidth.

Quote:
Bjango has now come out with iStat Menus 4, and the new version has some interesting and, for me, welcome changes. Aside from the usual bug fixes, Retina support and better Mountain Lion compatibility, iStat Menus 4 introduces a refreshed look that brings consistency with Bjango's other iStat app, iStat 2. iStat Menus now features the same style for graphs and charts as iStat 2, and, even better, it comes with the same History menu to view a component's performance over time. For instance, you can mouse over the CPU's main graph and check out a second menu with History for the past hour, 24 hours, and 7 days. There are more time-related view options available, and there's more to customize in the app's Preferences (which have also been redesigned, and it took me a while to get used to them at first). I appreciate the consistency with iStat 2, and I like History because it lets me easily check my network's conditions over time.
iStat Menus 4 is available for $16 via Bjango's online store. It's $9 for current iStat Menus 3 owners.

Article Link: iStat Menus Updated With New Look, History Views, and Bandwidth Monitor
MacRumors is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 2012, 02:13 PM   #2
Quu
macrumors 68000

I actually purchased iStat Menus 3 when it released but I don't think I'm going to pay for this new version. I don't see why I would pay to get what is essentially a Retina Graphic update. The new features are pretty worthless.
Quu is offline   8 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 2012, 02:23 PM   #3
kockgunner
macrumors 68000

Is the dashboard one still free? There was a weird period where it was supposedly paid but I still got it for free. I think if you restore from Time Machine and just copy the files over the older versions still work. Anyway, I don't care to know about these stats anymore.
Old Nov 29, 2012, 02:26 PM   #4
jvpython
macrumors 6502

Send a message via Skype™ to jvpython
This app is awesome! I purchased it right away. Definitely worth the $16. It gives you comprehensive information on every part of your computer and now you can even manually change the fans speeds! Highly recommend.
jvpython is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 2012, 03:01 PM   #5
oneMadRssn
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by kockgunner View Post
Is the dashboard one still free? There was a weird period where it was supposedly paid but I still got it for free. I think if you restore from Time Machine and just copy the files over the older versions still work. Anyway, I don't care to know about these stats anymore.
iStat Pro for Dashboard is gone, no more. You can find a few thread on if here, one thread has been updating it and fixing some of the incompatibilities it has with Mountain Lion, but overall, its donezo.
oneMadRssn is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2013, 06:38 PM   #6
Gaelic2
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by oneMadRssn View Post
iStat Pro for Dashboard is gone, no more. You can find a few thread on if here, one thread has been updating it and fixing some of the incompatibilities it has with Mountain Lion, but overall, its donezo.
I have a new iMac 21.5 and moved iStatPro over from my older Mac, an early 2009 24" model. It is still working well. I see no need to buy one when this one (free) still does the job.
Gaelic2 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2013, 12:56 PM   #7
Inconsequential
macrumors 68000

Sad to say but I've gone back to 3 and my what a relief.

Sorry but 4 needs some work to bring it up to what 3 was at

I'll keep 4 on my MBP for the moment tho
Inconsequential is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5, 2013, 06:14 PM   #8
Bjango
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaelic2 View Post
I have a new iMac 21.5 and moved iStatPro over from my older Mac, an early 2009 24" model. It is still working well. I see no need to buy one when this one (free) still does the job.
We're totally fine with that! Please do keep using iStat Pro, iStat Nano (another widget we made) or iStat Menus 3 for as long as you like! We'll do what we can to entice you to use iStat Menus 4 by continuing to make it more awesome each update.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Concorde Rules View Post
Sad to say but I've gone back to 3 and my what a relief.

Sorry but 4 needs some work to bring it up to what 3 was at
Which parts specifically don't you like about iStat Menus 4?
Bjango is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 2012, 02:28 PM   #9
Unggoy Murderer
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quu View Post
I actually purchased iStat Menus 3 when it released but I don't think I'm going to pay for this new version. I don't see why I would pay to get what is essentially a Retina Graphic update. The new features are pretty worthless.
Just purchased, downloaded and installed on my 2011 iMac. The history views are pretty nice, and the UI on both the app and menus looks a lot fresher. It also includes the details of attached network storage too, and the new Networking status menu is quite nice too. Worth the small upgrade fee to be honest.
Old Nov 29, 2012, 02:34 PM   #10
Cougarcat
macrumors 603

Quote:
Yeah, I don't see any reason to upgrade either.
Cougarcat is offline   6 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 2012, 02:42 PM   #11
The Bulge
Banned

Still shows that all GPU memory is used.
The Bulge is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 2012, 03:21 PM   #12
jvpython
macrumors 6502

Send a message via Skype™ to jvpython
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Bulge View Post
What Mac are you using it on? Has never done that to me.
jvpython is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 2012, 04:09 PM   #13
bobobenobi
macrumors regular

I just upgraded. It's buggy. Clicking to next month takes me to December 2013. Clicking the heading to return to current month takes me to October 2012. The text indicator for upload/download speeds stays stuck at 0.0b/s. Those disk space indicator bars and most of the other graphs are UGLY. The text in the menus is way too large and makes my sensors menu extend WAY off screen.
Old Nov 30, 2012, 12:28 AM   #14
The Bulge
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by jvpython View Post
iMac 27" 2011.
The Bulge is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5, 2012, 01:43 PM   #15
jmille44
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jvpython View Post
Mac Pro with Radeon HD 5770 shows 100% memory usage.
I contacted the company and they claim it's Apple's fault and Apple
needs to fix it. Version 2 worked. 3 and 4 do not.
jmille44 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 2012, 02:43 PM   #16
parish
macrumors 65816

I hope they've addressed the battery life issue that's been annoying me ever since I got my retina MBP. The iStat Menu battery remaining %age is consistently 2-5% less than the OS X battery indicator

Didn't happen on my old 2007 MBP
Old Nov 30, 2012, 01:59 AM   #17
coder12
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
I've been really enjoying the ability to see what apps are using my bandwidth. Little Snitch always had its unique way of messing up OS X for the times I used it to monitor apps using the Internet.
Old Nov 30, 2012, 02:24 AM   #18
alphaod
macrumors Core

Do I need to upgrade? No.

But I am willing to support and update (even paid) for software that I find useful, which is the case for iStat Menus.
Old Nov 30, 2012, 02:39 AM   #19
Bjango
macrumors member

Quote:
This is a known issue. OS X 10.8 introduced some changes for some graphics cards that meant memory usage isn't reported correctly. At this point we believe it's a driver issue and one we can't fix at our end.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oneMadRssn View Post
That's correct — we kept the iSlayer website and all the widgets around for several years after we ceased development of them. If you'd like to download one of the widgets, I can provide a link.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobobenobi View Post
I just upgraded. It's buggy. Clicking to next month takes me to December 2013. Clicking the heading to return to current month takes me to October 2012.
This is a known issues that some users (definitely not all) are seeing. We're working hard on a fix right now (we think we have it solved, but are still doing some testing).

Quote:
The text indicator for upload/download speeds stays stuck at 0.0b/s.
Do you have the Primary Interface set to Automatic? It's possible you're monitoring an interface that's not the one you're using for internet.

Quote:
Those disk space indicator bars and most of the other graphs are UGLY.
Ugly in which way? We're definitely going to make some design changes as version 4 progresses.

Quote:
The text in the menus is way too large and makes my sensors menu extend WAY off screen.
Which Mac model do you have? The text is already smaller than Apple's standard menus. I'm not sure we'd want to go much smaller.

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidwarren View Post
I'll stick with version 3.
We're totally fine with that and hope you're enjoying iStat Menus 3.

Quote:
Originally Posted by quester View Post
I just bought v3 three days ago. Complained yesterday when I saw the new version, and they sent me a new registration for v4 five minutes later.
November 12 is the cut off. If anyone purchased iStat Menu on or after November 12, please get in touch and we'll give you an upgrade.

Quote:
Originally Posted by quester View Post
Not sure if v3 had info about which processes was consuming the most bandwidth, but very nicely done in v4 (no need for little snitch).
That's new for iStat Menus 4.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cougarcat View Post
At least there is upgrading pricing.

If it were on the MAS (BTW, I think app store restrictions make it impossible) what would happen is the old version would get pulled and everyone would have to pay full price.

Relevant, Bjango's take on the app store.
Yep. We've been able to do a few nice things like upgrade pricing, a 14 day trial and we've been able to upgrade people who bought recently. All not possible if we were on the Mac App Store. (Not that iStat Menus could be on the Mac App Store anyway.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blaine View Post
Well for one, it's fugly.

I never thought I'd say this, but I downloaded the trial, and absolutely fell in love with it. I too wish it was on the mac app store, but oh well.
Thank you. Please see above regarding Mac App Store. Not possible for iStat Menus without drastically changing the functionality, unfortunately.

Quote:
Originally Posted by paduck View Post
Again, it's been 31 months since I purchased 3.0 and they've constantly upgraded the product through various Apple system upgrades to maintain compatibility. This product is a steal at the price. Don't begrudge the authors for wanting to make a little profit. They have a nice suite of integrated products at reasonable prices. It would be nice if there were more small developers like them.
We've updated iStat Menus 3 twenty times since the initial release, plus added new features and support for new Macs. To add support for new Macs, we typically have to buy every single model. We often sell the Macs not long after, but it's a huge app to maintain and develop. Thank you for your comments — this definitely hasn't been a trivial endeavour for us and we still have lots of things planned for 4.x.

If anyone has any questions, please feel free to ask and I'll do my best to answer them in a timely fashion.

Cheers,
Marc
Bjango is offline   9 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30, 2012, 03:12 AM   #20
parish
macrumors 65816

Good to see a developer willing to join a forum like this and interact with their customers, so kudos for that

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bjango View Post
If anyone has any questions, please feel free to ask and I'll do my best to answer them in a timely fashion.

Cheers,
Marc
Can you comment on the point I made (post #8) about the battery indicator please? I did report this to you.
Old Nov 30, 2012, 03:47 AM   #21
The Bulge
Banned

Quote:
This is a known issue. OS X 10.8 introduced some changes for some graphics cards that meant memory usage isn't reported correctly. At this point we believe it's a driver issue and one we can't fix at our end.
Why not put the text "Info not available" not a full progress bar? Full progress bar means what it means, i'm not a mind reader.
The Bulge is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30, 2012, 04:04 AM   #22
Bjango
macrumors member

Quote:
Why not put the text "Info not available" not a full progress bar? Full progress bar means what it means, i'm not a mind reader.
We don't have a full list of the GPUs affected. Also, the same GPU drivers do provide the correct info for OS versions prior to 10.8 *and* it's possible that the bug will be fixed in a future OS version. So we don't know the difference between a correctly reported 100% and an incorrect 100%.

It's not an ideal situation, but it seems like maintaining a list of the affected GPUs and OS versions so we can selectively hide or the info, not knowing if future OS versions will fix the issue.

It's definitely something we're thinking about and would like to solve, I'm just not sure that there is a good solution available to us.

Quote:
Originally Posted by parish View Post
I hope they've addressed the battery life issue that's been annoying me ever since I got my retina MBP. The iStat Menu battery remaining %age is consistently 2-5% less than the OS X battery indicator

Didn't happen on my old 2007 MBP
We're using the Apple provided and endorsed method for getting battery remaining time and percentage. They use a different method for their own menubar item. Which is more accurate? We haven't done tests to find out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg. View Post
Simplicity and consistency
Good things to aspire to. Here's my menubar.

Bjango is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30, 2012, 03:56 PM   #23
bobobenobi
macrumors regular

Quote:
Do you have the Primary Interface set to Automatic? It's possible you're monitoring an interface that's not the one you're using for internet.
I tried Automatic and my wired interface and neither work. The graphing of bandwidth utilization works, it's just the text that does not.

Quote:
Ugly in which way? We're definitely going to make some design changes as version 4 progresses.
They're huge and blue and look out of place with the rest of OS X. The previous version looked really nice. The indicator bars were small yet easily-readable and had a color that fit in with the OS. The color also changed depending on the theme, and that functionality appears to be gone.

Quote:
Which Mac model do you have? The text is already smaller than Apple's standard menus. I'm not sure we'd want to go much smaller.
Eight core 2009 Mac Pro. Your previous version had smaller text and looked great.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by parish View Post
Someone described the graphs as 'cartoonish', but I'd say 'clunky'. They are way too big. The graph size in v3 was about right IMHO. Also, the title text on the menus is also way too big, again IMHO.
I would say "garish" instead of "cartoonish" or "clunky", IMO.

Version 3 looked quite nice. There has to be a new graphic designer at Bjango because the same person could not have designed version 3 and 4.
Old Dec 7, 2012, 04:14 PM   #24
wtsitmn
macrumors newbie

Warning! Warning!!!

Quote:
Do not "Update" to version 4 unless you're absolutely certain you want to keep it and pay for it. If you install it, then decide to go back to version 3, you'll have quite a mess on your hands. The icons from version 4 will remain, but you won't be able to access them because they now link to the version 3 preference menu you reinstalled. Your old version 3 options will be gone, and if you select any of them you'll then have version 3 and version 4 both showing. WTF?!! I could have checked for a way to resolve all this nonsense, but I chose to simply restore from my last backup rather than going through all the headaches. It was painfully clear that the boneheads running Banjo [sic] were only interested in making a profit rather than caring for their customers. FOR SHAME!!!

Dear Banjo Boneheads:
When you prompt users to "update" their software, they don't expect to get an upgrade they then have to pay you for without a way out.
wtsitmn is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 9, 2012, 06:38 AM   #25
MacRumoren
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wtsitmn View Post
Do not "Update" to version 4 unless you're absolutely certain you want to keep it and pay for it. If you install it, then decide to go back to version 3, you'll have quite a mess on your hands. The icons from version 4 will remain, but you won't be able to access them because they now link to the version 3 preference menu you reinstalled. Your old version 3 options will be gone, and if you select any of them you'll then have version 3 and version 4 both showing. WTF?!! I could have checked for a way to resolve all this nonsense, but I chose to simply restore from my last backup rather than going through all the headaches. It was painfully clear that the boneheads running Banjo [sic] were only interested in making a profit rather than caring for their customers. FOR SHAME!!!

Dear Banjo Boneheads:
When you prompt users to "update" their software, they don't expect to get an upgrade they then have to pay you for without a way out.
Yup, this is the most MESSED-UP upgrade ever. There was no warning when the app automatically updated itself. I considered paying for the upgrade but now no matter what I do (unistall, reinstall etc), I can't resolve the "TOP PROCESSES no showing" issue documented on their site here: http://bjango.com/help/istatmenus/noprocesses/

Anyone else having this issue of "processes not showing"?
MacRumoren is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > Mac Blog Discussion