Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old Nov 29, 2012, 07:45 PM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot

Microsoft Details Surface Pro Pricing Amidst Reports of Poor Sales of RT Version

Microsoft announced pricing information on its Surface Pro tablet this morning. The tablet will cost $899 for the 64GB version and $999 for the 128GB version. The Surface Pro comes equipped with an Intel Core i5 processor with Intel HD Graphics 4000, 4GB of RAM, and a display with a resolution of 1920 by 1080.

Instead of running Windows RT like the standard version of the Surface released earlier this month, the Surface Pro tablet will run the full version of Windows 8. The tablet will ship with a Surface pen, but it does not include a Touch or Type Cover, each of which cost another $100. While the official announcement didn't include information on the Surface Pro's battery life, the spec list on Microsoft's website lists a 42 watt-hour battery.

Engadget, however, discovered a tweet from a curious Twitter user revealing that the tablet will have a battery life half as long as the Surface RT. After asking for more information on the battery, the user received a reply directly from Microsoft's official Twitter account:
Quote:
@shahroom Hey Shahroom, #Surface pro will have approximately half the batter life of Surface RT. -- Surface (@surface) November 29, 2012
The RT version of the Surface officially has an eight hour battery life with some testers finding slightly longer running times, implying that the Surface Pro will feature a battery life of roughly four-and-a-half hours, less than most laptops. This low battery life information comes at a time when Microsoft is seeing poor sales of the Surface RT. A report on Black Friday from Piper Jaffray revealed that the brick and mortar Microsoft stores experienced low Surface sales in comparison to iPad sales at the Apple Store.
Quote:
There was 47% less foot traffic at the Microsoft (MSFT) outlet than the Apple (AAPL) store. Shoppers bought 17.2 items per hour at the Apple Store and only 3.5 items per hour at the Microsoft Store. All but two of the Microsoft purchases were X-Box games. Shoppers at the Apple Store bought an average of 11 iPads per hour. Despite heavy TV, print and billboard advertising for the new Microsoft Surface tablet, not one was sold sold during the two hours Piper Jaffray spent monitoring that store. Doesn't bode well for Microsoft's answer to the iPad.
A recent report from Digitimes also indicates that Microsoft has reduced its tablet orders and may consider lowering the price of the Surface RT.
Quote:
The upstream supply chain of Microsoft's Surface RT has recently seen the tablet's orders reduced by half, and with other Windows RT-based tablet orders also seeing weak performance, sources from the upstream supply chain believe the new operating system may not perform as well as expected in the market. Microsoft originally expected to ship four million Surface RT devices by the end of 2012, but has recently reduced the orders by half to only two million units. The sources also noted that Microsoft may consider reducing its Surface Pro price to attract more consumers; however, such a decision may put the already awkward relationship between the software giant and notebook vendors in an even worse situation.
The Surface RT is currently available from Microsoft for $499 for the entry level 32GB tablet. There was no specific release date mentioned for the Surface Pro, but it is expected to be released in January 2013.

Article Link: Microsoft Details Surface Pro Pricing Amidst Reports of Poor Sales of RT Version
MacRumors is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 2012, 07:47 PM   #2
chirpie
macrumors 6502a

Microsoft feels more like Rodney Dangerfield everyday.
chirpie is offline   7 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 2012, 07:49 PM   #3
Kaibelf
macrumors 6502a

Blah blah blah Apple is doomed blah blah blah game changer from MS...... oh wait.
Kaibelf is offline   46 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 2012, 07:50 PM   #4
InfinitiG
macrumors 6502

another fail for microsoft
Old Nov 29, 2012, 07:56 PM   #5
Mr. Gates
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by InfinitiG View Post
Not sure how its a fail.

It's not even for sale yet. Lets see how people respond to it before we start up with the usual partisan bashing.

For a touch, 1080p like this, I would say it ain't bad.

And I can guarantee you 90% of people who want this were waiting for the Pro.

I admit, RT is a joke, but this might be pretty sweet
Old Nov 29, 2012, 08:05 PM   #6
ConCat
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Gates View Post
Not sure how its a fail.

It's not even for sale yet. Lets see how people respond to it before we start up with the usual partisan bashing.

Four hour battery life means it's a fail no matter how you look at it.
ConCat is offline   15 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 2012, 08:36 PM   #7
Saladinos
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Not sure how its a fail.

I wouldn't call it unreasonable to say that the Surface Pro looks pretty unappealing right now.

- $900 (+$100 for the keyboard -- and let's face it, it's the unique selling point of the Surface, so it's hardly optional)
- 4.5 hours of battery life
- weighs almost 1kg
- it has fans (really!)
- hardly any apps made for touch
- Windows 8 itself takes at least 10GB from that capacity (we won't know how much until it comes out -- Microsoft strangely don't want to tell anyone the details about this product)

Put it this way: I'm not getting one. I don't think I'll feel like I'm missing anything.

Have you heard of the iPad?

Quote:
Yeah, maybe that's not so great. I also would expect this one to outsell the RT, but I seriously doubt it'll come anywhere close to iPad sales figures.

Most people who didn't buy a Surface didn't read up on this and think "hey! that product with no announced price or release date sounds like great value! I'm going to wait for however long that takes!".

They went and bought iPads.

Last edited by Saladinos; Nov 29, 2012 at 11:24 PM.
Saladinos is offline   7 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 2012, 09:17 PM   #8
linuxcooldude
macrumors 68000

Quote:

I doubt it. Both tablets appeal to two different sets of people. The majority will want an affordable media consumption device with WinRT. But since its priced the same as iPad people don't see it compelling enough to switch.

I see the Windows 8 Pro version will appeal to a smaller group of people who want more power and flexibility with the Win8 Pro version.

I think one of the problems that will be with the Win8 Pro version is short battery life and touch will not be that great on desktop mode.
Old Nov 29, 2012, 10:06 PM   #9
mjtomlin

Quote:
Not sure how its a fail.

Hmm... How people will respond to it? This has been on the market for more than 10 years now! How is this ANY different from previous Windows tablets? It's fairly expensive, has crappy battery life, is damn near a brick at almost 2 pounds, uses a freaken PEN, requires separate purchase of a keyboard, still running a desktop operating system (oh that's right, it has a new "app" layer that confusingly flip-flops users between it and the standard desktop UI).

This really has nothing to do with partisanship, but everything to do with Microsoft's inability to understand form factors and use cases. Microsoft's desire to push Windows everywhere to make sure they hold onto their monopoly will ironically be the reason why they eventually lose that monopoly.

Most consumers are going to want computers and devices that are easy to use. They don't want the same bullcrap with an added extra layer. The iPad isn't popular only because of its form factor, but also because it is dead simple to use and still allows them to accomplish most tasks they used a "regular" computer for.

Forgot to mention: I actually don't see a problem with the pricing for the specs. It's spec'ed and priced to match the MacBook Air.

Also wanted to add: If people really wanted/needed to run full Windows on a tablet all this time...
Archos Tablet 9

Last edited by mjtomlin; Nov 29, 2012 at 10:38 PM.
mjtomlin is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30, 2012, 07:07 AM   #10
wovel
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Not sure how its a fail.

You guarantee it? Excellent. Please demonstrate that this is the case, otherwise I demand a refund or at least some replacement information of equal value.
wovel is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 2012, 08:02 PM   #11
Leonard1818
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by InfinitiG View Post
A tablet that can do more things like a computer... sounds like a not-so-fail to me. but with your 4-word post, I'm sure you have really thought about this quite a bit.
Leonard1818 is offline   7 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 2012, 09:08 PM   #12
charlituna
macrumors 604

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leonard1818 View Post
A tablet that can do more things like a computer... sounds like a not-so-fail to me. .
Only if it can do it well. But reviews are not looking good on that front.

And if it turns out that the Pro starts at 64gb cause that full version of Windows needs 32gb plus the 16gb that Metro needs, that isn't going to make many happy
charlituna is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30, 2012, 07:14 AM   #13
wovel
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leonard1818 View Post
A tablet that can do more things like a computer... sounds like a not-so-fail to me. but with your 4-word post, I'm sure you have really thought about this quite a bit.
You used more than 8 times as many words and an ellipsis. However, you failed to refute his point.
wovel is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 2012, 07:50 PM   #14
uaecasher
macrumors 65816

Send a message via AIM to uaecasher Send a message via MSN to uaecasher Send a message via Yahoo to uaecasher
another fail for Microsoft, they're increasingly becoming irrelevant to Apple, real competitor is Android
uaecasher is offline   30 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 2012, 07:52 PM   #15
Yamcha
macrumors 68000

Sad that Windows 8 has flopped, the sales of the OS and Surface aren't doing as well as they expected.. Not entirely surprised though, I've been seeing constant complaints by advanced and basic users all over the internet..
Old Nov 29, 2012, 08:03 PM   #16
MacAddict1978
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yamcha View Post
Sad that Windows 8 has flopped, the sales of the OS and Surface aren't doing as well as they expected.. Not entirely surprised though, I've been seeing constant complaints by advanced and basic users all over the internet..
I'm laughing my ass off... pc sales dropped 28% from this time last year when there wasn't even a new os to push sales.

Great concept.... what apple should have done with Lion and missed out on... but a concept headed by microsoft, who has no clue what people want. Of course the implementation if flawed, but they can say they did it first. Biggest complaint for the past year was confusion in the interface and how to use it.... that's a big issue
MacAddict1978 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 2012, 08:18 PM   #17
kalsta
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacAddict1978 View Post
Great concept.... what apple should have done with Lion and missed out on... but a concept headed by microsoft, who has no clue what people want. Of course the implementation if flawed, but they can say they did it first. Biggest complaint for the past year was confusion in the interface and how to use it.... that's a big issue
No, I think the concept itself is flawed. It's the forced marriage of two mostly incompatible partners—touchscreen interface and pointing device interface. The only thing Apple has missed out on by keeping the Mac and the iPad as separate devices is falling on their arse in spectacular fashion. They left it to Microsoft to do that.
kalsta is offline   6 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 2012, 08:52 PM   #18
Renzatic
macrumors 604

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacAddict1978 View Post
I'm laughing my ass off... pc sales dropped 28% from this time last year when there wasn't even a new os to push sales.
Not quite that high. They fell 8% this year, which isn't pretty, but hardly a an entire quarter loss.
Renzatic is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 2012, 08:16 PM   #19
Frisco
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Windows 8 is the worst piece of garbage I have seen. And yes I suffered through Windows Me.
Old Nov 29, 2012, 11:14 PM   #20
G51989
In Time-Out

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frisco View Post
Windows 8 is the worst piece of garbage I have seen. And yes I suffered through Windows Me.
Have you ever used OSX 10.7 or 10.8? Utter failure, and utter crap.
G51989 is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 2012, 09:31 PM   #21
winston1236
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Windows 8 isnt a flop by any means, they've sold 40 million in the first month, same as windows 7. Either way you count it windows dominates apple in computer os
winston1236 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 2012, 11:55 PM   #22
OriginalClone
macrumors regular

Quote:
Being a blind fanboy isn't a good thing.
http://arstechnica.com/information-t...e-first-month/
OriginalClone is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 2012, 11:59 PM   #23
M5RahuL
macrumors 65816

Looks like another WebOS tablet....

However, WebOS was extremely promising and a great OS...
Old Nov 30, 2012, 12:08 AM   #24
AppleScruff1
macrumors 604

Quote:
Originally Posted by OriginalClone View Post
Being a blind fanboy isn't a good thing.
http://arstechnica.com/information-t...e-first-month/
Good read. So there are 66 million OSX users, Apple sold 40 million iPads in a year and Windows 8 is a flop because it sold 40 million licenses in 5 weeks. Gotta love the logic.
AppleScruff1 is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 2012, 07:51 PM   #25
MisterKeeks
macrumors 68000

$1,000 for a keyboardless laptop? 100 dollar keyboard addons? I think I'll pass.
MisterKeeks is offline   45 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion