Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

eclipse01

macrumors 68030
Original poster
May 16, 2011
Eau Claire, WI
A friend of mine gave me an iphone to try and fix and it seems to be stuck in DFU mode (the plug and the apple logo). i have tried the 10 second thing and tiny umbrella to bump it out of this mode, but it just loops and goes right back to it.

I know they say this phone is unbrickable, but now i'm starting to think this one is?

Any ideas??

labman

macrumors 604
Jun 9, 2009
Mich near Detroit
if you have the apple logo your not in DFU more your in restore. try holding the home button. what are you trying to do? with the dfu firmware version etc. the only way a iPhone is bricked is a hardware issue.

eclipse01

macrumors 68030
Original poster
May 16, 2011
Eau Claire, WI
if you have the apple logo your not in DFU more your in restore. try holding the home button. what are you trying to do? with the dfu firmware version etc. the only way a iPhone is bricked is a hardware issue.

its the iphone cable with an arrow into the itunes logo

It just loops this over and over again, even with tiny umbrella (exit recovery)

restoring in itunes fails also

labman

macrumors 604
Jun 9, 2009
Mich near Detroit
that is recovery mode. google exit recovery mode

DFU-Mode-and-Recovery-Mode-398x320.jpg

eclipse01

macrumors 68030
Original poster
May 16, 2011
Eau Claire, WI
Wirelessly posted

I have, and your right recovery mode keeps looping even while using tiny umbrella, also while in dfu mode, nothing shows up in tiny umbrella, also tried boot fix and restore in new itunes using a different computer in recovery and dfu mode...what havnt i tried yet?

labman

macrumors 604
Jun 9, 2009
Mich near Detroit
Provide info if you want help here other wise take it to apple see if they can help.what firmware are you on? what firmware are you trying to restore? Do you have blobs? What have you tried? How are you doing it? Etc we are trying to help you without info we can't.

eclipse01

macrumors 68030
Original poster
May 16, 2011
Eau Claire, WI
Sorry crashed for the night.

i'll try to cover every question and all info.

CDMA phone
Itunes recognizes it but needs a restore, once I try that it just say error and some 4 digit number.
Tiny Umbrella recognizes it (as a restore device..not connected) and when I click exit restore the iphone screen goes black then back to the restore screen.
also tried DFU mode (blank screen) in which tiny umbrella no longer recognizes (but I know its in the mode), then tried fix recovery...still nothing.
i'm not sure what firmware it was on as it was just givin to me from someone that didn't know too much bout their phone. I'm guessing it was on firmware 5.1.1 and I tried puting the new latest and greatest on (6.0.1, think thats it)
and no blobs

think that covers most the questions.

labman

macrumors 604
Jun 9, 2009
Mich near Detroit
With no blobs you can only restore to current firmware sorry try restoring via iTunes. If you gat a error then you will need to point it at apple server.

eclipse01

macrumors 68030
Original poster
May 16, 2011
Eau Claire, WI
With no blobs you can only restore to current firmware sorry try restoring via iTunes. If you gat a error then you will need to point it at apple server.

i'm fine with putting the most current firmware on it, I just want to get it working again.

as for pointing to apple servers, I assume it is since "cydia as hosts" is greyed out and I cant check it in TU.

FlatlinerG

macrumors 6502a
Dec 21, 2011
Ontario, Canada
Sorry crashed for the night.

i'll try to cover every question and all info.

CDMA phone
Itunes recognizes it but needs a restore, once I try that it just say error and some 4 digit number.
Tiny Umbrella recognizes it (as a restore device..not connected) and when I click exit restore the iphone screen goes black then back to the restore screen.
also tried DFU mode (blank screen) in which tiny umbrella no longer recognizes (but I know its in the mode), then tried fix recovery...still nothing.
i'm not sure what firmware it was on as it was just givin to me from someone that didn't know too much bout their phone. I'm guessing it was on firmware 5.1.1 and I tried puting the new latest and greatest on (6.0.1, think thats it)
and no blobs

think that covers most the questions.

That "some 4 digit number" is kind of necessary when figuring out why it won't restore. Try it again, get the full error message, and let us know what it said.

i'm fine with putting the most current firmware on it, I just want to get it working again.

as for pointing to apple servers, I assume it is since "cydia as hosts" is greyed out and I cant check it in TU.

Assuming is never a great idea. The error message might even be about this device pointing to cydia servers instead of Apple servers.

eclipse01

macrumors 68030
Original poster
May 16, 2011
Eau Claire, WI
That "some 4 digit number" is kind of necessary when figuring out why it won't restore. Try it again, get the full error message, and let us know what it said.

I'm currently at work and couldn't quite remember the 4 digit number (I think i was getting a couple of different ones). I will retry when i'm done and repost.

Assuming is never a great idea. The error message might even be about this device pointing to cydia servers instead of Apple servers.

I tried TU on 3 different computers and its greyed out on all of them, also the owner tried a restore without tiny umbrella even installed.

Also this isn't a jailbroken phone, unless apple gave her a refurbished phone that was jailbroken, which I doubt

braxton34

macrumors member
Mar 18, 2012
The most critical piece of information you can provide is the 4 digit error code that iTunes provides when the 6.0.1 restore fails.

FlatlinerG

macrumors 6502a
Dec 21, 2011
Ontario, Canada
I tried TU on 3 different computers and its greyed out on all of them, also the owner tried a restore without tiny umbrella even installed.

Also this isn't a jailbroken phone, unless apple gave her a refurbished phone that was jailbroken, which I doubt

Doesn't make too much of a difference at this point though. If your primary goal is getting it out of recovery mode, then we'll need to know what the error number says. And the fact that tiny umbrella is installed on your computer, would more or less guarantee that your hosts file has been edited to redirect from gs.apple.com. The programs themselves will do this when used/installed.

eclipse01

macrumors 68030
Original poster
May 16, 2011
Eau Claire, WI
Doesn't make too much of a difference at this point though. If your primary goal is getting it out of recovery mode, then we'll need to know what the error number says. And the fact that tiny umbrella is installed on your computer, would more or less guarantee that your hosts file has been edited to redirect from gs.apple.com. The programs themselves will do this when used/installed.

but why would the option for setting cydia to hosts be greyed out on every computer I installed it on?

labman

macrumors 604
Jun 9, 2009
Mich near Detroit
if you provided info in the beginning. Your device would probably be restored by now instead people either have to beg to help or fish for info or let you solve it on your own. So how do you want this to play out.

eclipse01

macrumors 68030
Original poster
May 16, 2011
Eau Claire, WI
Stubborn? You ask for help, and numerous people have asked for the error digit numbers.

if you provided info in the beginning. Your device would probably be restored by now instead people either have to beg to help or fish for info or let you solve it on your own. So how do you want this to play out.

geeze i was working all day, why are you guys so angry?

i appreciate the help I really do.

an error has occurred (3194)

dinggus

macrumors 65816
Jan 17, 2012
geeze i was working all day, why are you guys so angry?

i appreciate the help I really do.

an error has occurred (3194)

The thing is you could have said that or wrote down the error code, it's kind of common sense if you're asking for help you give details.

eclipse01

macrumors 68030
Original poster
May 16, 2011
Eau Claire, WI
ok new turn of events, I managed to change my hosts "manually in the host file" and got it to attempt restore and it changes to the restore status screen then gives up and itunes shoots out an error (40) now.

or should I say Itunes stays on "verifying iphone restore with apple" then it gives up and gives the error 40

Last edited:

dinggus

macrumors 65816
Jan 17, 2012
Error 40: These errors typically occur when security software interferes with the restore and update process. Follow Troubleshooting security software issues to resolve this issue. In rare cases, these errors may be a hardware issue. If the errors persist on another computer, the device may need service.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.