Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old Nov 29, 2012, 08:23 PM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot

Griffin Launching Official Lightning Connector Cables Next Week

Griffin today announced the upcoming release of Apple-certified Lightning charge and sync cables for the iPhone 5, 5th generation iPod touch, fourth generation iPad and iPad mini.

Though there have been several unofficial third party Lightning accessories, Griffin's accessories will be the first official third-party standalone Lightning connector cables on the market when they launch next week.
Quote:
Griffin's new cables with Lightning Connector are affordable charging solutions that are built to resist kinks and tangles. The cables work perfectly with Griffin's family of PowerBlocks and PowerJolts as well as Apple's USB power adapters, or plug into a computer's USB to sync with iTunes.
The company is offering several different cable configurations:

- 2' straight USB-to-Lightning cable ($16.99)
- 3' straight USB-to-Lightning cable ($18.99)
- 4' coiled USB-to-Lightning cable ($24.99)
- 9.8' (3 meter) straight USB-to-Lightning cable ($29.99)

Earlier this month, Belkin introduced two official Lightning accessories, including a car charger and the Charge + Sync Dock. Scosche has also announced car and home chargers, although its products have yet to begin shipping.

Apple has been maintaining strict control over its Lightning connectors, which has made it difficult for third party manufacturers to introduce new accessories.

Vendors that launch Lightning-related accessories must produce them in Apple-approved facilities. The Lightning connector also requires controller chips to take advantage of adaptive technology, which has delayed the release of third party Lightning accessories.

Article Link: Griffin Launching Official Lightning Connector Cables Next Week
MacRumors is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 2012, 08:24 PM   #2
portishead
Banned

Glad someone is releasing these, but not a fan of family guy.
portishead is offline   9 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 2012, 08:26 PM   #3
spb3
macrumors regular

not too bad in terms of pricing.
spb3 is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 2012, 08:30 PM   #4
Sandstorm
macrumors regular

I think I'll buy the coiled one for use in my car.
Sandstorm is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 2012, 08:33 PM   #5
likemyorbs
Banned

Send a message via AIM to likemyorbs
Got one for $3 on eBay. Works great
likemyorbs is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 2012, 08:35 PM   #6
Dionte
macrumors 6502

Send a message via ICQ to Dionte
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandstorm View Post
I think I'll buy the coiled one for use in my car.
I was thinking the same thing.
Old Nov 29, 2012, 08:39 PM   #7
Doctor Q
Administrator

I'm looking forward to the increased competition. Apple's strict requirements and the Lightning technology itself put upward pressure on prices, so a little downward price pressure is a good counterbalance.
Old Nov 30, 2012, 06:46 AM   #8
Boatboy24
macrumors 6502

Great. Another overpriced cable option.

(sorry, I just can't get excited about another opportunity to be ripped off)
Boatboy24 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30, 2012, 06:48 AM   #9
wrkactjob
Banned

If Apple priced its cables reasonably all these third party efforts wouldn't be produced.

Last edited by wrkactjob; Nov 30, 2012 at 09:12 AM.
wrkactjob is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 7, 2012, 07:29 PM   #10
BeatCrazy
macrumors regular

Griffin makes high quality cables, better than OEM Apple ones. I have several of the 3M 30-pin versions, and they are tough and very handy to have around the house and especially while travelling.

I tried to order a few of the new Lightning versions today, but the Griffin website keeps crashing at the last step of the order process. FYI coupon code THANKS20 gets you 20% off and shipping >$30 is free.

Yeah, they're pricey, but the 3M and coiled options are better than what Apple has. I'm not trusting my devices to some no-name China knock-off that will probably fry my device or fail.
BeatCrazy is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30, 2012, 08:43 AM   #11
elec999
macrumors regular

I like the coiled cable.
Old Nov 30, 2012, 08:43 AM   #12
Westyfield2
macrumors 6502a

Coiled one for the car, and a longer one to reach my bedside table .
Mac Mini (2.6GHz quad i7, 16GB, 256GB SSD)
Westyfield2 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30, 2012, 09:10 AM   #13
Jedi
macrumors regular

I Have a Question , Please !

Will these cables allow direct transfer of data ( .txt / .jpg / .pdf and so on ) ,
to the iPad`s App that will accept those files , or do you still have to go through iTunes?

I am thinking about buying an iPad ( 4th gen. ) but have read that ALL data must be synced though iTunes.

To me , anyway , that seems like a long way around for what should be a simple task.

All replies and help is { are } appreciated , TY > in advance !!

Gary 
Jedi is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30, 2012, 09:37 AM   #14
RemE
macrumors member

Seriously? $29 for a 10' cable?? Give me a break. This is a needed length and charging an extra $10 for a couple of feet is just goofy. Sorry Griffen, love the black but won't be buying your cables. Just grabbed a Media Bridge 10' black USB extension and use the stock cable (a longer and more flexible solution) for now until you folks get a clue on pricing for this stuff.
RemE is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion