Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

harlleysathler

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 26, 2003
Hi all,

I need some help of the more capable than me programmers.

First of all, I want to apologize for my not so good english as I'm brazilian.

I'm running a project for digitalize all the paper patient records (about 10 thousand patients) of the hospital where I work.

For this the doctor who manages the hospital bought a ScanSnap S1500 duplex scanner witch is a very fast hardware and offers a good scanning software but doesn't fit exactly on our needs.

Unfortunately here in Brazil the technology is coming to the public services in sluggish speeds and this project is just became possible thanks to the goodwill of few.

Well, I wonder if is it possible to write an Apple script that receives individual digitalized patient records and let the user choose the diagnostics (witch will correspond to a specific diagnostic) and let him type the patient register number and name as the name of pdf file.

To exemplify: I load load all the paper records of the patient João da Silva on the scanner and press the scan button. The scanner digitalizes all the pages ans then transfer the file manipulation to the script where I select, for example, the Behçet Disease (in a droplist or a radio button list), has a text field where I type the register number (12345678) and another one where I type the name (João da Silva). The script then creates a file named 12345678 - João da Silva.pdf inside the Behçet folder.

Is this possible to be made using just AppleScript? Or it needs other languages? Can someone please help-me in this task?

I read a lot about Hazel to manipulate the files but based on their content, doing this on searchable PDFs (OCR-ed), searching for highlighted text. This can't be used here because all the records are handwritten. Some dates from the 70's.

I'll appreciate any help, any hint, any info you can gave me.

Thanks a lot!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.