Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Mac Basics and Help

Old Dec 1, 2012, 10:02 AM   #1
Amad3U5
macrumors member

Help deleting duplicates on iTunes 11?

I just got a new Mac, and decided to transfer my iTunes library from my old one. One thing led to another, and next thing I know I've accidentally duplicated every single song in my library. Apparently iTunes 11 no longer has a built in feature for finding and deleting dupes (or does it?). I've done some googling, and have found several programs for this kind of thing (Dupin, DupeAway, etc...), but these programs are either ridiculously over-priced (I'm not prepared to spend $25 on some software that I'm only ever going to use once), or simply don't work.

Does anyone know of some free software that actually works? Or am I going to have to have to delete each dupe individually? Thanks in advance!

PS: Please don't post answers that are relevant only to iTunes 10.
Amad3U5 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 1, 2012, 10:08 AM   #2
maflynn

That feature was removed from iTunes, so your only option is to get a utility like tuneup that does this
maflynn is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 1, 2012, 10:11 AM   #3
SandboxGeneral

Quote:
Originally Posted by maflynn View Post
That feature was removed from iTunes, so your only option is to get a utility like tuneup that does this
Wow, that really stinks. I wonder why Apple would do that.
Old Dec 1, 2012, 10:17 AM   #4
pommie82
macrumors regular

Them duplicates songs are a right pain and its shocking how much space they take up on your hard drive or any of your devices.

i got about 60GB back from just duplicate songs that i have had in my iTunes collection at one point i couldn't get all my music on my iPod Classic and when i finished using a program that use i only had about 40Gb worth of music.

I personally don't know of any freeware software that would be able to help you out but i have some pay ware which would do the trick and it works really well and keeps your iTunes library nice and tidy at all time it does a lot of things just not mp3s it does images everything just general files too

Here is the link for you to have a look at http://www.hyperbolicsoftware.com/DupeZap.html
This program works with iTunes 11 because i have just tested it and it works fine

If you have the cash to get the program then it worth it to get rid of unwanted duplicate files on your system makes life so much easier when you don't have them on your system.
pommie82 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 1, 2012, 11:31 AM   #5
Amad3U5
macrumors member

AppleScript for removing duplicate files in Finder

Is there an AppleScript out there that allows you to find and delete duplicates from Finder? If not, could one of you guys write one for me?

I would do it myself, but unfortunately I know NOTHING about AppleScript, so I figured it would be a whole lot easier to ask you guys. Thank you in advance.
Amad3U5 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 1, 2012, 01:21 PM   #6
balamw

Another simple utility I like for identifying duplicate files is dupeGuru http://www.hardcoded.net

B
Old Dec 3, 2012, 07:12 AM   #7
schreibers
macrumors newbie

Seems someone beat me to my question! Recently went from PC to Mac and though I like iTunes 11 it has been frustrating in the regard as the OP.

Thanks for the suggestions!
schreibers is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14, 2012, 01:06 AM   #8
nephron8
macrumors regular

guys,
this feature is back in latest and first update to itunes 11.
nephron8 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Mac Basics and Help