Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old Dec 1, 2012, 11:04 AM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot

Apple Overtakes LG to Become No. 2 Mobile Phone Maker in U.S.

Apple captured the number two slot in all U.S. mobile phone makers, both smartphone and non-smartphone, for the first time, according to a new report by research firm comScore.

Samsung maintained their lead with 26.3% in overall mobile phone userbase, with Apple coming in second at 17.8% and LG .2 points behind in the number three slot with 17.6%. Apple gained 1.5% in the three month period starting in August 2012 and ending in October 2012, which includes the first full month of iPhone 5 availability.*LG, Motorola and HTC all saw their share shrink by .8, .2 and .4% respectively. Back in April, Apple leapfrogged Motorola to become the No. 3 mobile phone maker.

comScore's data tracks installed base rather than sales figures, so it reflects well on real-world usage rather than immediate market trends. Recently, Kantar Worldpanel released data based on sales figures that Apple had overtaken Android in marketshare with the help of iPhone 5 sales.

Article Link: Apple Overtakes LG to Become No. 2 Mobile Phone Maker in U.S.
MacRumors is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 1, 2012, 11:07 AM   #2
iphone495
macrumors member

No surprise there.
iphone495 is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 1, 2012, 11:09 AM   #3
Xscapes
macrumors regular

By .2%...Apple can do better right?
Xscapes is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 1, 2012, 11:09 AM   #4
goobot
macrumors 601

Just the fact that apple only sells 3 phones (2 old models) at a time while the other competition will sell dozens of new just shows how well apple is doing in the phone market.
Old Dec 1, 2012, 11:12 AM   #5
akbarali.ch
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by goobot View Post
Just the fact that apple only sells 3 phones (2 old models) at a time while the other competition will sell dozens just shows how well apple is doing in the phone market.
if you comparing 3 iPhones (means 3 years) then for competitors 'dozens' is very low figure, i think it will be many more models.
Old Dec 1, 2012, 05:41 PM   #6
kas23
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by akbarali.ch View Post
if you comparing 3 iPhones (means 3 years) then for competitors 'dozens' is very low figure, i think it will be many more models.
Apple sells 18 different models actually. Go count them. And if you think these 19 are actually all the same phone, do you really think the 10-30 "different" models Sammy sells are actually that much different than each other? Plus, you are assuming all of Samsung's models are selling in equal amounts. Truth is, the bulk of their sales are probably from less than 5 models.

Last edited by kas23; Dec 1, 2012 at 05:49 PM.
kas23 is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 1, 2012, 07:51 PM   #7
Michael Scrip
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by kas23 View Post

Apple sells 18 different models actually. Go count them. And if you think these 19 are actually all the same phone, do you really think the 10-30 "different" models Sammy sells are actually that much different than each other? Plus, you are assuming all of Samsung's models are selling in equal amounts. Truth is, the bulk of their sales are probably from less than 5 models.
Good point. While Samsung has a dozen models... I would imagine the Galaxy SIII is the overwhelming majority of their sales.

As for Apple... back when the iPhone 4S came out in 2011.... it was estimated that 89% of iPhone sales were the current iPhone 4S.

I would imagine the iPhone 5 commands a similar slice of iPhone sales this time around too.

So... Samsung has 1 or 2 models that make up the bulk of their sales... and Apple's current phone makes up the bulk of their sales.
Michael Scrip is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 1, 2012, 11:19 AM   #8
Pimp Lucious
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Just the fact that apple only sells 3 phones (2 old models) at a time while the other competition will sell dozens of new just shows how well apple is doing in the phone market.

Yes because we all know that the key to success in the phone market for any company other than Apple is to simply churn out as many models as possible.
Pimp Lucious is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 1, 2012, 11:48 AM   #9
ScholarsInk
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pimp Lucious View Post

Yes because we all know that the key to success in the phone market for any company other than Apple is to simply churn out as many models as possible.
I don't think that's what was meant. Apple only makes one phone, which is a smartphone, whereas the other companies make every type of phone.
ScholarsInk is offline   8 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 1, 2012, 11:53 AM   #10
santaliqueur
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pimp Lucious View Post

That's not what he meant. Stop defending so quickly and think about what you are replying to.
santaliqueur is offline   8 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 1, 2012, 03:09 PM   #11
ArtOfWarfare
macrumors 603

Send a message via Skype™ to ArtOfWarfare
Quote:
It doesn't show how well Apple is doing in the phone market so much as how no other mobile phone company understands the basic concept that features are either worth including or they're not. Once you apply that basic concept to your entire lineup, you realize that you should only release a new phone once there's a new feature worth having.

iPhone 5 - A 16:9 screen became a feature worth including.
iPhone 4S - conglomerate of minor new features (double antennas, faster, etc.,)
iPhone 4 - A retina display
iPhone 3GS - conglomerate of minor new features (compass, faster, etc.,)
iPhone 3G - 3G
iPhone - Touch screen interface that doesn't suck and isn't confusing

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleMoose View Post
I hope Apple can sink the "axis of evil"...Samsung/Google phones.
At my day job I develop Android apps - that kind of comment sounds like something I'd expect my supervisor to say about Apple (that they're an "axis of evil".) There's no reason to talk about your opposition like they're evil just because they're inferior.

Last edited by ArtOfWarfare; Dec 1, 2012 at 03:16 PM.
ArtOfWarfare is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 1, 2012, 03:37 PM   #12
dalbir4444
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtOfWarfare View Post
At my day job I develop Android apps - that kind of comment sounds like something I'd expect my supervisor to say about Apple (that they're an "axis of evil".) There's no reason to talk about your opposition like they're evil just because they're inferior.
I can understand that comment if it was coming from Apple, but as a consumer, why do you view Google/Samsung as your opposition?
dalbir4444 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 1, 2012, 04:05 PM   #13
ArtOfWarfare
macrumors 603

Send a message via Skype™ to ArtOfWarfare
Quote:
Originally Posted by dalbir4444 View Post
I can understand that comment if it was coming from Apple, but as a consumer, why do you view Google/Samsung as your opposition?
I sell iOS Apps.
The Android apps I develop at work are for in-house use only, so I don't really see a conflict of interest.
ArtOfWarfare is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 1, 2012, 11:09 AM   #14
akbarali.ch
macrumors 6502

with just one model! that's impressive.
Old Dec 1, 2012, 05:09 PM   #15
iGrip
Banned

Send a message via ICQ to iGrip Send a message via AIM to iGrip Send a message via MSN to iGrip Send a message via Yahoo to iGrip Send a message via Skype™ to iGrip
Quote:
Originally Posted by akbarali.ch View Post
with just one model! that's impressive.
Seriously. Apple has only one model, and they still beat LG, who have lots of hot phones these days and are hitting on all cylinders. Apple beat them easily with just one model. They are unstoppable.
iGrip is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 1, 2012, 11:12 AM   #16
KieranDotW
macrumors 6502

Is this all phones or just smartphones?
If so pretty impressive considering Apple only makes smartphones.
KieranDotW is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 1, 2012, 11:15 AM   #17
wikus
Banned

HTC is heavily underrated, their One series phones are amazing, much better than an iphone and yet Samsung is at the top....
wikus is offline   8 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 1, 2012, 12:51 PM   #18
HarryKNN21
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by wikus View Post
HTC is heavily underrated, their One series phones are amazing, much better than an iphone and yet Samsung is at the top....
I agree with you as a HTC user. I think what holds HTC down is their frequency of renewing their products, which no companies can match Samsung.

Phone: iPhone 5S 16GB
HarryKNN21 is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 1, 2012, 01:13 PM   #19
newagemac
macrumors 68000

Wow. How did a company who sold computers enter a market with just a smartphone and a few years later become the #2 phone maker in the U.S. of ALL phones both smartphone AND non-smartphone? And they have pretty much all the profit as well.

That's just crazy right there. Apple basically stole Samsung, Motorola, RIM, and LGs cookies. Those companies had been making cell phones for a looooong time. How the heck did they let a newcomer come in and do that to them?

Sure Samsung is still doing ok but even they had decades of a head start on Apple. It shouldn't even be close. If Apple keeps on this upward path, Samsung is next to topple which would be astonishing considering the huge number of dumb phones they still sell.
newagemac is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 1, 2012, 01:59 PM   #20
TouchMint.com
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by newagemac View Post
Wow. How did a company who sold computers enter a market with just a smartphone and a few years later become the #2 phone maker in the U.S. of ALL phones both smartphone AND non-smartphone? And they have pretty much all the profit as well.

That's just crazy right there. Apple basically stole Samsung, Motorola, RIM, and LGs cookies. Those companies had been making cell phones for a looooong time. How the heck did they let a newcomer come in and do that to them?

Sure Samsung is still doing ok but even they had decades of a head start on Apple. It shouldn't even be close. If Apple keeps on this upward path, Samsung is next to topple which would be astonishing considering the huge number of dumb phones they still sell.
Pretty crazy stuff on Apples part. Msft also did with gaming systems which was pretty crazy too.

TouchMint.com is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 1, 2012, 02:03 PM   #21
adildacoolset
macrumors 65816

Quote:

When apple does it, they do it pretty darn well.

With the exception of social networking(ping) and TV box sets. And maps.

The thing is that they used hardware which other companies had begun to use, but Apple knew very well how to implement it.
Last edited by adildacoolset; Tomorrow at 09:42 AM. Reason: grammar error
adildacoolset is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 1, 2012, 02:12 PM   #22
kdarling
macrumors Demi-God

Quote:
Easy. Apple had no legacy phones to stay backwards compatible with. Now they do, and it shows in their small upgrade steps.

Starting from scratch is the same reason why a company who sold advertising was able to enter a market with just a smartphone and a few years later become the #1 phone OS in the world.

Quote:
Sure Samsung is still doing ok but even they had decades of a head start on Apple. It shouldn't even be close.
Market timing.

Notice that Apple didn't try selling a smartphone until Samsung and others had spent billions and decades building up the user base and world infrastructure... something that Apple could not have done on their own.
kdarling is offline   7 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 1, 2012, 03:54 PM   #23
xofruitcake
macrumors 6502a

Quote:

Apple is doing well because they are excellent at system integration and pulling different piece from various components from different vendors and deliver excellent products. Samsung and LG strength are in the component side. When we talked about innovation, a lot of them are from the components. The IPad mini LCD panel come with GF2 screen contribute the thinness of the device. Apple is using a technology developed by the component maker to make a better device. Samsung and LG both has excellent component technology and they put them in their smartphone, hence their smartphone are doing well.

It is not easy to put multiple phones out. Essentially you have to have multiple teams working overlapping each other in order to have product out every 3-6 months instead of every 12 months like Apple Iphone is currently on. It is not just a matter of hiring more engineers. The strategy, logistic, manufacturing and inventory of multiple devices are pretty important as well. And it guarantee a lower margin product since each device only sell a much smaller number. As a consumer, I am glad to have competitors working like crazy on smart phone and tablets. But some of them may have to exit the market if they are continue to loss money. I would imagine that Apple will have to respond to the multiple products a year strategy that Samsung is pulling off. By March next year, Iphone 5 will be behind competition and the sales will suffer mightily. Samsung is counting on it. I wonder is Apple management ready to change the Iphone product cycle?

http://www.iphoneincanada.ca/ipad-4/...tag-digitimes/

Quote:
The iPad Mini features the GF2 (DITO film) touch screen technology, which according to the source, has extremely low yield rates as a result of which it has a higher entry price of US $329. In contrast, other 7-inch tablets like Amazon Kindle or Google Nexus have OGS or G/G structures which cost almost half of GF2.
xofruitcake is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 1, 2012, 02:20 PM   #24
duneriderltr450
macrumors 6502

How you like them apples?
duneriderltr450 is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 1, 2012, 02:37 PM   #25
Rocketman
macrumors 603

How did this happen? The iPhone (iPad) is a stealth hand top super-computer with client-server access to big iron! The ultimate "slim client".

Trivia question. What was the first throughput definition of super-computer?

Data: What is the throughput of the latest iPhone, in offline, wifi, and LTE mode?

Rocketman

Last edited by Rocketman; Dec 1, 2012 at 03:00 PM.
Rocketman is offline   1 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion