Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

2741Bodensee

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 1, 2012
Hi all,

I ordered the base 27 with a 3tb Fusion drive now after reading on this forum I'm wondering if I should change my order to a 1tb Fusion drive and go with a faster processor and graphics? Does anyone have any advice? This is my first iMac so I want to get it right. Thanks!

blevins321

macrumors 68030
Dec 24, 2010
Detroit, MI
Definately go for the small internal drive and the better processor and graphics. You can always buy external storage if your needs expand. Plus you should have a backup scheme regardless :)

atteligibility

macrumors regular
Sep 14, 2012
Definitely go for the larger drive

___

More seriously, nobody can answer without more info.
- If you are a gamer, go for faster processor and graphics
- If you do video editing, it depends, but probably processor and graphics
- Otherwise, processor and graphics won't bring you a significant difference
- There's one aspect of a larger hard drive nobody talks about. It's not just a question of space you need. If you're using 800Mb on a 1TB hard drive, your system will be slightly slower than using 800Mb on a 3TB system. Since the hard drive is probably the bottleneck of this kind of system, you want to improve its performance as much as you can, i.e. SSD>Fusion>Larger Hard drive>smaller hard drive

Last edited:

CaptMike

macrumors regular
Mar 27, 2012
Hi all,

I ordered the base 27 with a 3tb Fusion drive now after reading on this forum I'm wondering if I should change my order to a 1tb Fusion drive and go with a faster processor and graphics? Does anyone have any advice? This is my first iMac so I want to get it right. Thanks!

In order to get the faster processor and graphics, you would need to step up to the high end 27

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.