Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Desktops > iMac

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Dec 3, 2012, 12:21 AM   #1
drlipo
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Why I canceled my order for a 2012 iMac?

I canceled my order for a 2012 iMac 27" because I concluded that, for me, this model is a huge step backwards from my December 2009 iMac 27". The less reflective screen is a definite plus. HOWEVER, the ridiculously thin screen edge required HUGE compromises: 1) SD card slot moved to a difficult to access location on the back 2) elimination of an optical drive. One has the option of purchasing an external optical drive for $70, but in addition to the cost that takes up desktop space and uses up one of the four USB ports 3) whereas the original announcement of the new iMac touted it as having even better sounding audio than the previous iMac, which I was very skeptical about, the early reviews of the new iMac confirm my worst fears -- the bass response is zero, resulting in a tinny sound! 4) while the Fusion drive is a great feature, it is way overpriced for its storage capacity at $250.

I believe the perfect upgrade to the iMac would have been to simply make the screen less reflective and have a more fairly priced Fusion drive, plus the processor and graphic card improvements. The thickness of the box should have stayed the same (already PLENTY thin), thus allowing the SC card reader to remain conveniently on the side, the optical drive to remain and, most importantly, the audio quality should have at lease been maintained, if not improved.

The thin edge of the display and weight reduction are meaningless for a desktop machine. The edge thickness will only be noticed by looking at the computer from the side, but never noticed when actually viewing the screen. Ironically, the ultra thin screen edge required the iMac to bulge out to the rear and the new model may actually be even thicker than the previous model. The lighter weight is not important for a desktop machine. This is not a portable unit! Mine has never been moved from my desktop in three years!

One of the things I love most about my older iMac is the superb audio quality. There is NO WAY I would upgrade to a new model with significantly reduced audio quality, to say nothing about the absent optical drive and hard to reach SC card slot.

When Apple addresses all of these issues, only then will I purchase a new model. Or, I may choose to go back to one of the great new PC's.
drlipo is offline   13 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3, 2012, 12:54 AM   #2
dontpannic
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Orpington, Kent, UK
You'd have to be silly to come to the conclusion that the 2012 iMac is a huge step backwards from the 2009. That's a ridiculous statement to make.

No optical drive... Who uses discs any more? You don't have to keep the external drive connected all the time. SD slot on the back not on the side? Seriously? It's a two second process to memorise where the SD slot is and work out how to put it in while reaching round the back.

Last edited by dejo; Dec 3, 2012 at 10:21 AM. Reason: Quoted post deleted.
dontpannic is offline   25 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3, 2012, 01:12 AM   #3
peeaanuut
Banned
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Southern California
Send a message via AIM to peeaanuut
Quote:
Originally Posted by dontpannic View Post
You'd have to be silly to come to the conclusion that the 2012 iMac is a huge step backwards from the 2009. That's a ridiculous statement to make.

No optical drive... Who uses discs any more? You don't have to keep the external drive connected all the time. SD slot on the back not on the side? Seriously? It's a two second process to memorize where the SD slot is and work out how to put it in while reaching round the back.
to go one step further, I think you have to be silly to have seen all the specs, had plenty of time to mull them over, THEN decide to cancel the order.

Last edited by dejo; Dec 3, 2012 at 10:23 AM. Reason: Quoted post edited.
peeaanuut is offline   8 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3, 2012, 01:38 AM   #4
drlipo
Thread Starter
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by peeaanuut View Post
to go one step further, I think you have to be silly to have seen all the specs, had plenty of time to mull them over, THEN decide to cancel the order.
Where were the specs posted that the audio quality on the newest iMac is seriously reduced? In fact, Apple claimed that it was improved and only a published review revealed the truth.

Let me restate my point in order to try to quash all the misplaced flaming I have received.

ALL of the improvements in the newest iMac -- upgraded processor and graphics card, reduced screen reflection, and Fusion drive -- could have been created by Apple at a much lower cost to them by simply keeping the thickness of the device identical to that on the previous model. No one would have grumbled that it was too thick.

That approach would have allowed for the option of an optical drive, conveniently located SD card slot and, most importantly, a great audio response without having to purchase an external speaker system.

Let the flamers try to dispute my last paragraph!
drlipo is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3, 2012, 02:02 AM   #5
Chihawk725
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by drlipo View Post
ALL of the improvements in the newest iMac -- upgraded processor and graphics card, reduced screen reflection, and Fusion drive -- could have been created by Apple at a much lower cost to them by simply keeping the thickness of the device identical to that on the previous model.
So all of these individual improvements could have been done cheaper in a larger device?? Please explain to me how using the new technology (plasma deposition for glare and direct lamination for overall screen quality) which are innovations that in themselves create a smaller form factor, could have been done at a "much lower cost" if the device had been larger?? -refuted
Chihawk725 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3, 2012, 02:09 AM   #6
drlipo
Thread Starter
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chihawk725 View Post
So all of these individual improvements could have been done cheaper in a larger device?? Please explain to me how using the new technology (plasma deposition for glare and direct lamination for overall screen quality) which are innovations that in themselves create a smaller form factor, could have been done at a "much lower cost" if the device had been larger?? -refuted
If Apple had not incurred the costs of designing and manufacturing the new super thin edge display with the rounded back, and simply used the older "box" or a slight modification of it, they OBVIOUSLY would have saved money.
drlipo is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3, 2012, 04:29 AM   #7
kaellar
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by drlipo View Post
ALL of the improvements in the newest iMac -- upgraded processor and graphics card, reduced screen reflection, and Fusion drive -- could have been created by Apple at a much lower cost to them by simply keeping the thickness of the device identical to that on the previous model. No one would have grumbled that it was too thick.
That is COMPLETE ********! They've ended up with using much less materials and much less internal components than the previous gen for EACH AND EVERY IMAC. Turn your logic on at last and realize the fact of new iMacs being much economy efficient for Apple than previous gen.

p.s. and btw, this whiny thread is nothing new. I don't know if you noticed, but all the "cons" you've listed (including worse sound suggestions) were discussed over and over here since new iMacs announsement. Which makes me wonder why you've ended up with CANCELLING your order because of these reasons.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunderbird View Post
Who uses discs any more? Lots of people. Just because you don't doesn't mean everyone else doesn't.
And again, speak for yourself. I don't know ANY of my countless friends and familiars, who's still using CDs/DVDs.

Last edited by dejo; Dec 3, 2012 at 10:28 AM. Reason: Circumventing profanity filter.
kaellar is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3, 2012, 04:30 AM   #8
JayJayAbels
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: May 2012
smh @ this thread...

Why? Just cancel it and go buy a PC. Right? Boom! Done.
JayJayAbels is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3, 2012, 04:38 AM   #9
Phil A.
macrumors 68040
 
Phil A.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Telford, UK
When the iMac was first announced I thought it looked drop dead gorgeous and it was a case of "I must have one of them!". However, I agree with the OP now that there are simply too many compromises to get those gorgeous looks.
I've now decided to keep my 2010 iMac until it dies and then get either a mini or (if it's not discontinued by then) a Mac Pro
__________________
Tell a man there are 300 billion stars in the universe and he'll believe you. Tell him a bench has wet paint on it and he'll have to touch it to be sure. ~Murphy's Law
Phil A. is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3, 2012, 01:15 AM   #10
Thunderbird
macrumors 6502a
 
Thunderbird's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by dontpannic View Post
No optical drive... Who uses discs any more?
Lots of people. Just because you don't doesn't mean everyone else doesn't.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dontpannic View Post
You don't have to keep the external drive connected all the time.
That isn't the point. You have to go out and buy one (you didn't for previous iMac), then you have to haul it out and plug it in every time you use it, then unplug it and put it away when you're done. In the meantime it still takes up desk space and a USB port when in use (something a built-in drive doesn't). In other words, a step backward from previous iMac.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dontpannic View Post
SD slot on the back not on the side? Seriously? It's a two second process to memorise where the SD slot is and work out how to put it in while reaching round the back.
Then you'd agree he's right, from the perspective of the previous iMac, that represents a step back from the convenience of having the SD slot on the side.
Thunderbird is offline   11 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3, 2012, 01:33 AM   #11
Chihawk725
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Why bother creating this thread?

Just curious. Why do these threads keep popping up? Every day there is a new "why I do not like the new Imac" but none of them bring anything new to the discussion (you wish they had optical drives and do not care for the new form factor? wow what a new and interesting point ! ) these complaints are 100% personal preference based, I personally see every one of the negatives this thread creator made as positives. I thought this site was for rumors and interesting discussion, not personal rants.
Chihawk725 is offline   10 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3, 2012, 01:50 AM   #12
MissVader92
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunderbird View Post
That isn't the point. You have to go out and buy one (you didn't for previous iMac), then you have to haul it out and plug it in every time you use it, then unplug it and put it away when you're done. In the meantime it still takes up desk space and a USB port when in use (something a built-in drive doesn't). In other words, a step backward from previous.
What I don't understand why everyone is making a big deal about the optical drive ... Yes people still use CDs.. I use CDs and I just bought the SuperDrive for my imac and it delivered before my imac so I got a chance to check it out .. First off the SuperDrive's cost is ridiculous but it's very light and well thin... It would hardly take up any desk space and I don't see there being any problem dragging it out of the desk draw i mean c'mon it's no more the pulling out your phone out of your pocket and hooking up to the computer to charge or sync. Next the whole USB Problem,when was the last time u had all 4 USBs being occupied at one time ...
MissVader92 is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3, 2012, 06:48 AM   #13
Thunderbird
macrumors 6502a
 
Thunderbird's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissVader92 View Post
What I don't understand why everyone is making a big deal about the optical drive ... Yes people still use CDs.. I use CDs and I just bought the SuperDrive for my imac and it delivered before my imac so I got a chance to check it out .. First off the SuperDrive's cost is ridiculous but it's very light and well thin... It would hardly take up any desk space and I don't see there being any problem dragging it out of the desk draw i mean c'mon it's no more the pulling out your phone out of your pocket and hooking up to the computer to charge or sync. Next the whole USB Problem,when was the last time u had all 4 USBs being occupied at one time ...
You're saying the SuperDrive is the same size as an iPhone?

There are only 4 USB ports on the back. If you have any peripherals, each port becomes precious. Of course, if you have a lot of peripherals like I do, one could always get a hub. The point being having to add one more external device (SuperDrive) makes things potentially that bit extra inconvenient.
Thunderbird is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3, 2012, 09:27 AM   #14
bflowers
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissVader92 View Post
What I don't understand why everyone is making a big deal about the optical drive ... Yes people still use CDs.. I use CDs and I just bought the SuperDrive for my imac and it delivered before my imac so I got a chance to check it out .. First off the SuperDrive's cost is ridiculous but it's very light and well thin... It would hardly take up any desk space and I don't see there being any problem dragging it out of the desk draw i mean c'mon it's no more the pulling out your phone out of your pocket and hooking up to the computer to charge or sync. Next the whole USB Problem,when was the last time u had all 4 USBs being occupied at one time ...
Well let me think...

•I now have 1 Superdrive, which I admit to using once a week most of the time, but occasionally use a dozen or more times in a given day.
•I currently have 3 external HDDs, all of which will have to be connected via USB, as they removed the Firewire ports.
•I have 2 printers, a laser and an all-in-one inkjet. While they can both print over the network, the all-in-one needs to be connected via USB to scan. If my old scanner still had updated drivers, I could move the all-in-one printer, but it wouldn't save me a USB slot.
•I have a camera card reader, which I would probably use if I had the open slots, as it would be easier to reach than the SD slot on the back.
•I have a mouse, which I use for specific tasks even though I prefer and purchased the trackpad. It happens to be a nice wireless one, but it has it's own transmitter.
•I have half a dozen USB stick drives, so I'll need a port open for plugging those in as needed.

So I guess I'm looking at buying a USB Hub, because several choices Apple made to make this iMac thinner limit my connection choices. I'm sure I'm not the only one that has more than four things to plug into the USB ports, so your argument isn't valid.

Last edited by bflowers; Dec 3, 2012 at 09:38 AM.
bflowers is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3, 2012, 09:45 AM   #15
lampliter
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
The tape thing

Hi Guys I just wanted to chime in on the glued in screen thing.
I was afraid to say anything about it before but now that a couple of other people have said it I want to back it up. This nonsense about the tape gluing in the screen forever is absurd. I have been using it for 25 years, I cant believe the screens havnt always been put in with it. It is supper strong, super easy to remove and super easy to replace and it is super cheap. The way these tear down posts talk about it makes it sound like it has to be applied by aliens. I have an i Mac but its for my kids. I use a mac pro, so I have no dog in this fight either. The tape thing is a very good thing, trust me.
lampliter is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3, 2012, 01:25 AM   #16
tears2040
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by dontpannic View Post
You'd have to be silly to come to the conclusion that the 2012 iMac is a huge step backwards from the 2009. That's a ridiculous statement to make.

No optical drive... Who uses discs any more? You don't have to keep the external drive connected all the time. SD slot on the back not on the side? Seriously? It's a two second process to memorise where the SD slot is and work out how to put it in while reaching round the back.
I would say every Cd burned for audio reference as well as dvd I burn for clients + dvd rentals such as redbox which are well alive, I would say many people use optical disc drives.....

I mean you think downloading .mp3 is the same as a pro audio disc sound? Same with blu ray.....

Last edited by dejo; Dec 3, 2012 at 10:22 AM. Reason: Quoted post edited.
tears2040 is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3, 2012, 02:45 AM   #17
leman
macrumors 68040
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by tears2040 View Post
I mean you think downloading .mp3 is the same as a pro audio disc sound? Same with blu ray.....
We are not talking about blu ray. And yes, digital sound is better quality than the audio CD. Not necessarily MP3 (which suffer artefacts from the compression rate), but there are other audio formats out there as well. The 256kbps AAC files as offered via iTunes are better quality than an audio CD in every regard.
leman is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3, 2012, 03:01 AM   #18
experimenthouse
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Sydney, Australia
Quote:
Originally Posted by leman View Post
We are not talking about blu ray. And yes, digital sound is better quality than the audio CD. Not necessarily MP3 (which suffer artefacts from the compression rate), but there are other audio formats out there as well. The 256kbps AAC files as offered via iTunes are better quality than an audio CD in every regard.
You literally have no idea what you're talking about.
experimenthouse is offline   12 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3, 2012, 04:34 AM   #19
maxira
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
I do not mind the sound!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1eQ0c44wZoI
min. 3:24
maxira is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3, 2012, 05:50 AM   #20
theSeb
macrumors 603
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Poole, England
I am pleased about the CPU options, GPU options and USB 3 on the 27" model. I am not pleased about the storage options, or their prices, and I am most displeased that the most failure-prone part of a computer is still hidden away and is not user-serviceable (and it's not longer just magnets - now it's an industrial adhesive that one has to fight through).

Therefore I am going to vote with my wallet and wait for the Mac Pro, if that ever comes.
__________________
What is Other on my HDD?
Throttling, overheating and Geekbench
theSeb is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3, 2012, 06:23 AM   #21
harlex
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
I have a Sony Vaio which is stuffed and Sony told me to literally piss off after constant problems with it since new and umpteen repairs. It cost 2000 when I bought it about 4 years ago, I now have a Macbook pro 17 inch made to order with a matt screen and it is great although the batter life after 8 months is about a couple of hours. instead of the 7 or 8 that is quoted somewhere. I certainly can't recommend Sony products because of the lack of customer relations.

I am buying the new iMac after selling my 2011 model because it now has the less reflective screen. I am saying up the fusion drive as I think a external thunderbolt hdd would be better value and faster. I think the fusion and for that matter the SSD is way over the top price wise, don't forget you pay extra for the fusion and you don't get to keep the one that would have come with the computer as standard.

The 3.4 i7 with 2 gb graphics card is the way to go with the standard hdd. then as said a TB ext hdd would be a better and faster bet. The rest of the machine is fine. Of douse the sound is crap but put an external speaker outfit on it and a whole world opens up.

Look at it as a base to build on.
harlex is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3, 2012, 07:09 AM   #22
forty2j
macrumors 68030
 
forty2j's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: NJ
For $70 you could get a USB hub, an external optical drive, AND an external card reader.

If the 2010 continues to suit your needs, I'm happy for you, and you probably shouldn't upgrade; just don't pretend it's better.
__________________
 2012 iMac 3.2GHz 27" 680MX Fusion  iPhone 5  Apple TV 2  iPad 2 
forty2j is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3, 2012, 08:22 AM   #23
dontpannic
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Orpington, Kent, UK
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunderbird View Post
Lots of people. Just because you don't doesn't mean everyone else doesn't.
With software available in the App Store and online, audio available on iTunes, movies available on iTunes, as a consumer I can't remember the last time I needed to use a DVD or CD. Obviously with the professional sector optical media is still used. Which is why Apple sell a USB Superdrive.

Quote:
That isn't the point. You have to go out and buy one (you didn't for previous iMac), then you have to haul it out and plug it in every time you use it, then unplug it and put it away when you're done. In the meantime it still takes up desk space and a USB port when in use (something a built-in drive doesn't). In other words, a step backward from previous iMac.
Right.
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Samsung-SE-2...4544036&sr=8-1

20 for an external USB drive. If you're spending 1000+ on a PC, then a 20 optical drive is a drop in the ocean. You'll spend more on other accessories.

You have a bluetooth mouse, bluetooth keyboard (presumably, using the keyboard and mouse supplied with the machine). Even if it's wired, it would only take 1 USB socket, (Apple kit or wireless desktop sets). Presumably some sort of printer over USB, (or network), external storage. Even with all that I only count 3 USB's in total. I'm sure one could be used for an external USB DVD drive.

That's providing you're using it 24/7. If you're using it to watch a DVD or burn something, you can quite easily take it out of a drawer, plug it in and use it, and put it back in the drawer when you need to use the USB port for something else.

Quote:
Then you'd agree he's right, from the perspective of the previous iMac, that represents a step back from the convenience of having the SD slot on the side.
It's a minor inconvenience. I wouldn't class it as a step back for the machine (which is what was stated in the first post) because there are so many new features that outweigh the loss of optical drive and the movement of the SD card slot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tears2040 View Post
I would say every Cd burned for audio reference as well as dvd I burn for clients + dvd rentals such as redbox which are well alive, I would say many people use optical disc drives.....

I mean you think downloading .mp3 is the same as a pro audio disc sound? Same with blu ray.....
As stated above, professionals obviously require optical drives still, which I accept. I was mainly talking consumers. Consumers won't give two ***** about pro-audio and will quite happily download music and videos from iTunes. They won't care that it's not pixel perfect BluRay quality. Heck, I even know people who can't tell the difference between SD and HD!
In which case, professionals can easily afford the 20 it costs for an external DVD drive and the "less than 10 seconds" of inconvenience of plugging the thing in.
dontpannic is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3, 2012, 09:26 AM   #24
Spungoflex
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
There will NEVER be an optical drive on a new iMac again. And I mean NEVER.

Enjoy your windows machines from here on out. They've got tiles!
Spungoflex is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3, 2012, 03:02 AM   #25
Uplift
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
If sound is important to you, and i'm assuming it is since you mentioned it a couple of times.. why are you using the built in speakers AT ALL? The speakers are basic and suck on all iMacs (compared to proper sound). They are OK for light video or a bit of background music, but that's it..

I haven't tested the new iMac speakers but if they are comparable to the new Macbook Pro speakers then they should be a definite improvement... i love my rMBP speakers, but i would still never use them for anything other than background music or youtube videos.

I agree about the whole 'thinner and lighter' debate.. there is just no need. they could have drastically improved the design without trying to make it thin and light as possible, it's a desktop and not needed. desktops need optical drives and they need upgradability. They had their priorities all wrong here, that being said.. everyones well aware of apples direction, the machine is powerful, beautiful and will run OSX great.. so you need to work out whats important to you.
Uplift is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Desktops > iMac

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
has anyone changed their mind and canceled their iMac order WhiteIphone5 iMac 27 Feb 22, 2013 07:28 PM
Canceled MacMall Order, Reordered with Apple schhflap iMac 1 Jan 12, 2013 12:44 PM
My 27" iMac BTO order has be canceled pukingpixels iMac 11 Jan 10, 2013 03:51 PM
Dang Sprint. Sent me phone after I canceled order zman98 iPhone 1 Sep 25, 2012 06:02 PM
ATT canceled my order!! Preorder Fiasco! Rinku666 iPhone 0 Sep 14, 2012 02:31 PM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:36 PM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC