Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Desktops > iMac

Old Dec 3, 2012, 09:18 AM   #1
mackingtosh
macrumors newbie

How to migrate files to new iMac most efficiently

Hey all-

I'll be getting my new 27" iMac around the 21st. So far I have been manually going through my photo, music, video, and assorted file folders, cleaning and dumping old stuff I don't need.

I want to get my remaining files onto my new iMac, but nothing else.

Can you recommend tips/apps/processes to most efficiently upgrade without tons of legacy crap coming over onto my pretty new hotness?
mackingtosh is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3, 2012, 09:36 AM   #3
Sue De Nimes
macrumors 6502

I will be doing the same thing - how easy will it be to migrate a bootcamp partition over?
Old Dec 3, 2012, 09:38 AM   #4
simsaladimbamba

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue De Nimes View Post
I will be doing the same thing - how easy will it be to migrate a bootcamp partition over?
Not easy, as there is no way in Migration or Setup Assistant.
You could take a look at WinClone.
simsaladimbamba is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3, 2012, 09:43 AM   #5
NJRonbo
macrumors 65816

Migration Assistant, which appears when you first boot your new iMac is flawless and highly effective.

The only problem is, it migrates over EVERYTHING instead particulars you just want.

Unfortunately, I am in the same boat as you. I don't want all the leftover crud being imported to a new machine, but I don't think there is anything out there that will let you be selective about what comes over.

I don't fully understand the cloning programs, but it seems to me that while they may enable one to copy over select programs, it may not copy over other system files (such as preferences, settings or data) related to that program that are located elsewhere.
NJRonbo is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3, 2012, 09:58 AM   #6
bflowers
macrumors 6502

I'm considering dumping a bunch of old stuff from my MacBook first. I have several programs that I had limited activation keys (from free giveaways) that I need to migrate or they will default back to demo mode. I want to save them, but not move a bunch of junk... Probably time to clean house!
bflowers is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4, 2012, 01:54 PM   #7
Bill P.
macrumors regular

Thanks for this guidance. I note in reviewing the info that there may be a problem if you try transferring from one user account (old iMac running SL) to the same user account name (new out of box '12 iMac). Will this be an issue when requesting Migration Assistant after starting up the new iMac for the first time?

Thanks!

Bill

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Desktops > iMac