Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Buying Tips and Advice

Old Dec 3, 2012, 05:33 PM   #1
bbmahon
macrumors newbie

Other World Computing nu tech batteries

I wanted to share my experience and warn others about nutech mac book pro batteries. I have had 2 seperate batteries from this company, the 2nd one is an RMA replacement. Neither of the batteries went 1 yr and that with taking care in regards to proper charging and maintenance. True to the letter of the law they refused to honor any further warranty because I am outside of the 1 year warranty. This is certainly their right, but this treatement, is not a ringing endorsement for a company that claims its products are as good as apple original equipment. WARNING ... their batteries will not last one year until you see the dreaded "not charging" light.

The search goes on for another battery. I would appreciate any advice on who has had sucess with their battery and where they bought it.

*** To my amazement Other World Computing came through and decided in my circumstance to replace the battery. They have apologized and I am feel that I have been treated appropriately for the commitment I have made to Nu tech batteries. Thanks Other World Computing for standing behind your battery. ***

Last edited by bbmahon; Dec 23, 2012 at 09:54 PM.
bbmahon is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3, 2012, 06:00 PM   #2
JPGR_Fan
macrumors regular

Similar experience

Twice they sent me "refurb" type for retail price. Twice I sent them back, only using the iStat Pro Widget to know that the "new" battery was not 100% when I got it. The third one actually came in an OEM box, looked new and checked out on iStat Pro. So it goes.
Old Dec 4, 2012, 11:40 AM   #3
rboris
macrumors newbie

OWC Call Center Manager

Dear bbmahon,

Thank you for sharing your feedback and experience.
Other World Computing sincerely apologizes for the issue that you have had with your battery and its replacement.
We could certainly understand how frustrating this must be to you and we are sorry that we failed.

I can assure you that this experience is not the norm or typical of our batteries at OWC. Although not perfect, we stand behind our products and are always willing to assist and happy to do so.
At this point, we would like to reach out to you so that this is no longer an inconvenience to you. A customer support team lead will be contacting you.
Thank you.

Sincerely,

Robert Boris
OWC Call Center Manager
rboris@macsales.com
815-333-5098
rboris is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4, 2012, 12:54 PM   #4
kohlson
macrumors regular

I had a similar experience. Before I sent an old MBP to my inlaws, I replaced the old battery with an OWC/Newer Tech battery. It failed (would not hold a charge) within 3 months. They replaced it. AFAIK it still works.
kohlson is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4, 2012, 02:56 PM   #5
Designer Dale
macrumors 68040

I used one of these batteries to replace the original in our original G4 400 TiBook over a year ago. I've had no issues with it, but then it sits on the charger most of the time. My only problem with OWC resulted from a reading comprehension fail on my part when I ordered the wrong enclosure for my SuperDrive. I lost the box and receipt and never tried to return it. It was my bad.

Dale

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Buying Tips and Advice