Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > Mac Blog Discussion

Old Dec 3, 2012, 09:30 PM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot

Apple Responds to Samsung's Request for Information on Trial Jury Foreman

AllThingsD is reporting that Apple has responded to Samsung's claim that jury foreman Velvin Hogan conducted himself improperly during jury selection for the Samsung v. Apple trial. Hogan is under examination for his failure to disclose a previous legal dispute with Seagate, his former employer and one of Samsung's partners.*In November, Judge Lucy Koh said she would "consider the questions" of whether Hogan conducted himself improperly.

Quote:
Apple does not accuse juror Velvin Hogan of misconduct -- because there was none -- so what Apple knew and when regarding Mr. Hogan's lawsuit with Seagate nearly two decades ago is irrelevant to any issue raised by Samsung's post-trial motions. Apple does not contend that any past relationship between Mr. Hogan and Seagate, or any lawsuit between them, is anything remotely close to support a challenge for cause.
Hogan has been one of the more visible members of the jury, speaking with a myriad of news organizations about the decision in the case, which concluded earlier this year. The dispute over Hogan's behavior represents one more incident in the ongoing legal drama between Apple and Samsung.

Article Link: Apple Responds to Samsung's Request for Information on Trial Jury Foreman
MacRumors is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3, 2012, 09:32 PM   #2
iphone495
macrumors member

What apocalypse? Oh right, Apple's destroying Samsung.
iphone495 is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3, 2012, 09:52 PM   #3
SunnyRenegade33
macrumors member

Send a message via Skype™ to SunnyRenegade33
Nothing surprising here.
Old Dec 3, 2012, 09:52 PM   #4
jdegid
macrumors newbie

I get accused of improperly conducting myself all the time
jdegid is offline   6 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3, 2012, 11:15 PM   #5
iMikeT
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdegid View Post

Pants on or off?
iMikeT is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3, 2012, 11:22 PM   #6
coder12
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by iMikeT View Post
Pants on or off?
Sometimes both at the same time!
Old Dec 4, 2012, 01:18 AM   #7
portishead
Banned

Curious to see what the Samsung apologists have to say about this.
portishead is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4, 2012, 01:41 AM   #8
Negritude
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by portishead View Post
What is there to say about an obviously self-serving statement on the part of Apple?
Negritude is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4, 2012, 01:57 AM   #9
Rogifan
macrumors G3

Quote:
Innovate don't litigate?
Old Dec 4, 2012, 05:33 AM   #10
RichardI
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdegid View Post
Me too! And by someone a lot more scary than Samsung!!

Mwahahahahaha
Old Dec 4, 2012, 07:08 AM   #11
KnightWRX
macrumors Pentium

Apple's disclosure : http://www.groklaw.net/pdf4/ApplevSamsung-2176.pdf

Exhibit A mentionned in the disclosure : http://www.groklaw.net/pdf4/ApplevSamsung-2176ExA.pdf

Not really anything interesting here, it's a one-sided reply to a motion. Much more interesting is that Judge Koh granted full public disclosure of the HTC/Apple licensing terms, except for pricing and royalties which will remain sealed (Samsung lawyers get to see it, not the general public) :

http://www.groklaw.net/pdf4/ApplevSamsung-2179.pdf

So we'll get to know exactly which IP (as in patents) HTC is licensing from Apple and if these patents are the same used against Samsung or not.

The interesting developments are scheduled for the 6th of December, when Judge Koh hears both parties motions for Summary Judgement and Samsung's motion for a new trial.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackhand1001 View Post
The guy improperly instructed the jurors on the how to proceed with determining whether or not Samsung infringe. He also skipped many steps of the instructions the court had given them to follow.
And also failed to recognize proper prior art rules of the USPTO, whereas the Jury found that the Rubber Band patent was valid even though Samsung presented prior art for it, but 2 months later, the USPTO found it invalid in light of the prior art :

http://www.forbes.com/sites/timworst...anding-patent/

This is a serious black eye as far as the Jury's whole decision goes, it really hurts the credibility of their work.

----------

Quote:
I'm curious as well, since there really isn't anything about Samsung here, it's a motion filed by Apple after Samsung filed a motion to compel them to disclose their prior knowledge of the Jury foreman's lawsuit with Seagate.

Or maybe I'm just curious to see how people will manage to yet again turn this thread into a *****torm of insults rather than discuss the actual facts behind the case. Good job on already trying to trainwreck this thread.
Old Dec 4, 2012, 08:01 AM   #12
subsonix
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by KnightWRX View Post
And also failed to recognize proper prior art rules of the USPTO, whereas the Jury found that the Rubber Band patent was valid even though Samsung presented prior art for it, but 2 months later, the USPTO found it invalid in light of the prior art :

http://www.forbes.com/sites/timworst...anding-patent/
It's not the same patent that Samsung argued was prior art though. The fact that USPTO has found it invalid based on an earlier patent, is more of a black eye for the USPTO as they then should never have granted it to begin with.
subsonix is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4, 2012, 10:38 AM   #13
macrumors regular

Apparently bygones aren't bygones anymore
Avatarshark is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3, 2012, 10:06 PM   #14
DynaFXD
macrumors regular

Honestly, the only thing that wears on me is when jurors, enabled by news media, think that they are part of the story. When asked to appear on <insert talk show here>, I'd like to see/hear "No thanks, we did our time in the box. Our verdict is in the records. We have nothing to add beyond that and have lives to get on with." That some think that this is their 15 minutes kinda bums me out.
DynaFXD is offline   1 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > Mac Blog Discussion