Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Stitch30

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 18, 2007
I would like to know if you would recommend Kingston memory for the iMac. I'm planning to buy this one :

http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820239289

With taxes and shipping, I can get it for 87$ for 16gb. I know a lot of people go for Crucial but it is backordered on newegg.ca and ordering directly from Crucial would cost my a lot more with customs.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Macman45

macrumors G5
Jul 29, 2011
Somewhere Back In The Long Ago
I haven't used their RAM, but by all accounts it's fine...I do use their USB drives and the third generations are fast and reliable... I'd say they are as good as Crucial, and although I've always bought from them, I wouldn't worry if I had to buy from Kingston instead.

Chupa Chupa

macrumors G5
Jul 16, 2002
Kingston regular RAM is great, but I would stay away from the Value RAM line for Macs. Macs are much more picky about RAM than PC and Value RAM can be inconsistent, as can other "bargain" brands. One stick might work fine, the other a no-go.

My suggestion - go with Crucial. Usually it's not much more expensive than "bargain" brands but it will work with Macs. It's quality stuff. Alternatively, I had G.Skill in my 2011 MBP, bought on Newegg, which worked fine. I would have never considered it but saw many positive reviews on Newegg from Mac users.

Macman45

macrumors G5
Jul 29, 2011
Somewhere Back In The Long Ago
Yes I meant to mention that caveat... Stay away from the value RAM. If it were me and I could hold off for stock I'd prefer to stick with Crucial...Not only is the RAM guaranteed for life, but their customer service is top notch as well. They don't usually take long to restock items either.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.