Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old Dec 4, 2012, 03:32 PM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot

Apple Updates Pages, Numbers and Keynote for Mac and iOS

Apple has released updates for both the iOS and Mac versions of iWork. The iOS versions of Pages, Numbers and Keynote have experienced more significant updates, while the Mac versions have been updated mainly to support the iOS changes.

Quote:
Pages 1.7:

In this release Pages for iOS is updated for improved compatibility with Microsoft Word and Pages for Mac.

o Use Change Tracking to track changes to body text in a document
o Accept and reject individual changes as you review a document
o Import Pages and Microsoft Word documents with change tracking and continue to track changes to body text
o Preserve tracked changes in documents exported in Microsoft Word or Pages format
o Preserve calculations in tables when importing from and exporting to Pages for Mac
o Add reflections to shapes
o Lock and unlock objects

--

Numbers 1.7:

In this release Numbers for iOS is updated for improved compatibility with Microsoft Excel and Numbers for Mac.

o Hide and unhide rows and columns
o Import and export Numbers for Mac spreadsheets with filters, and turn filters on and off
o Preserve rich text in tables when importing and exporting

--

Keynote 1.7:

In this release Keynote for iOS is updated for improved compatibility with Microsoft PowerPoint and Keynote for Mac.

o Import and export all Microsoft PowerPoint and Keynote for Mac slide sizes
o Import and export presentation themes, complete with master slides and preset styles
o Play back all Keynote action builds including Move, Rotate, Scale, and Opacity
o Add new slide transitions including Shimmer and Sparkle
o Preserve calculations in tables when importing from and exporting to Keynote for Mac
o New print layouts include options to print with presenter notes, with builds, and without backgrounds
Quote:
About iWork 9.3 for Mac

iWork Update 9.3 adds support for iWork for iOS 1.7 apps.

This update is recommended for users of iWork 9.0 and later.

For detailed information on this update and individual application changes, please visit this site: http://support.apple.com/kb/HT5534.
Updates for the Mac iWork apps are available via the Mac App Store for purchases made via the Store, or via Software Update for customers who originally purchased iWork in a box.

iOS updates can, as always, be downloaded via the App Store.

Pages [Mac App Store, iOS App Store]

Numbers [Mac App Store, iOS App Store]

Keynote [Mac App Store, iOS App Store]

Article Link: Apple Updates Pages, Numbers and Keynote for Mac and iOS
MacRumors is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4, 2012, 03:33 PM   #2
Snoosedaddy
macrumors regular

yay
Snoosedaddy is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4, 2012, 03:34 PM   #3
ghostface147
macrumors 65816

How about working on and releasing new desktop versions of iPhoto and the rest of the iLife suite??
ghostface147 is offline   19 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4, 2012, 03:37 PM   #4
The Bulge
Banned

Almost 3 years since a REAL update, now only running on life support updates.
The Bulge is offline   35 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4, 2012, 03:40 PM   #5
SamGabbay
macrumors 6502

It's about bloody time.
SamGabbay is offline   10 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5, 2012, 10:46 AM   #6
HenryDJP
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamGabbay View Post
It's about bloody time.
About time for what? A software update? At least for the Mac, Apple needs a completely new version. Sheesh, we've been on iWork since '09 and the world is about to turn 2013 in 3 weeks. While Keynote is great and Pages is fair, Numbers has too many compatibility issues and while I use Pages for work to create banners and flyers for our office, the templates are getting stale and they could always add more creation tools.
HenryDJP is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5, 2012, 10:58 AM   #7
leo.andres.21
macrumors regular

Send a message via MSN to leo.andres.21 Send a message via Yahoo to leo.andres.21 Send a message via Skype™ to leo.andres.21
I am not sure if Apple still wants customers to use their iWork suite on the Mac anymore. iWork iCloud integration on Mac OS is bad and everyone knows it, iOS version is fine though.
They should release a new version with fully integrated iCloud support, reduce baggage and allow the apps to be as light weight as possible. And best of all, wait for Office 13 to release, then increase compatibility between the two.
It's not like iWork is anywhere as good as Office (maybe Keynote is marginally better), but Office has everyone using it, which is the biggest selling point of these apps.
Old Dec 4, 2012, 03:47 PM   #8
BillyBobBongo
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Bulge View Post
Almost 3 years since a REAL update, now only running on life support updates.
Not entirely sure what you feel needs to be added. If it ain't broke...
Old Dec 4, 2012, 04:09 PM   #9
MacFoodPoisoner
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyBobBongo View Post
They should have taken your advice with Snow Leopard...
MacFoodPoisoner is offline   8 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4, 2012, 04:15 PM   #10
skaertus
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyBobBongo View Post
Well, let's see... what about cross-references in Pages? All serious word processors have support for cross-referencing, which is a basic feature for writing anything reasonably complex. Word, Word Perfect, OpenOffice/LibreOffice Writer, Nisus Writer Pro, Mellel... you name it.
Old Dec 4, 2012, 04:19 PM   #11
spetznatz
macrumors regular

Track Changes in Pages for iOS... Yes!!! Get in! You beeeeeeeauty!

Mind you, Track Changes in Pages is ****, but it's better than nothing...

Last edited by Nermal; Dec 4, 2012 at 09:13 PM. Reason: circumventing profanity filter
spetznatz is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4, 2012, 04:22 PM   #12
babyj
macrumors 6502a

I've given up on iWork (Mac and iOS) and switched back to Office.

The real killer for me is the lack of proper cloud support, Skydrive and desktop Office works perfectly and will only get better with Office 2013 especially if there are native apps of some kind for iOS.

The lack of 100% compatibility with Office doesn't help iWork either. Microsoft did an excellent job with making the Mac and Windows versions of Office compatible. Like it or not documents need to be in Office format when you're sharing them, unless everyone involved has Google docs.
babyj is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4, 2012, 03:42 PM   #13
Tastic Bycrom
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostface147 View Post
How about working on and releasing new desktop versions of iPhoto and the rest of the iLife suite??
Different teams work on different things & software software doesn't magically appears out of thin air.
Tastic Bycrom is offline   6 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4, 2012, 03:44 PM   #14
ghostface147
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tastic Bycrom View Post
Different teams work on different things & software software doesn't magically appears out of thin air.
That's not true. The software fairy said so...
ghostface147 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4, 2012, 08:53 PM   #15
MacAddict1978
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
1 person could have coded an entire re-write in the past 4 years.... Software doesn't appear magically out of thin air, but stupid fanboy comments do.

iWork has always been half baked. It doesn't even support the latest office formats, and it was never stellar at exporting or importing to the old ones.

Pages and Keynote are the best parts, but numbers is lipstick on a pig. It makes pretty print outs... but it's not at all a viable spread sheet. And while I always thought Keynote put Power Point to shame.... its lack of updates has blasted it into obsolescence at this point.

Simple features like auto save have never been implemented. And no, don't say 'oh but lion added that os-wide' because not everyone is using lion, and that feature was not so great in practice. Many of us don't want 300 versions of our document... we just want to know that if the power goes out, we lost at most a paragraph.

In so many ways, Apple Works was superior to iWork.... and it was part of the package when you bought a mac. It also seemed to work better with office docs... and that's going back to power pc days... wait, those are still the same office formats iWork doesn't choke on.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by iHacker0390 View Post
Whats the evidence that the majority hate it? I bet the "average" user really doesn't care....

I like the ribbon and I love Windows 8 and Office 2013.
I agree... once you use the ribbon, and then ever have to use an old version of office, it's dreadful. Learning to navigate anything new takes time.

Honestly, the inspector in iWork in kind of like the ribbon in a box, just not nearly as inclusive or intuitive. The ribbon predicts certain tasks and changes for you... and I work has so few features, it doesn't need a ribbon.
MacAddict1978 is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4, 2012, 09:31 PM   #16
ixodes
macrumors 601

Quote:
software doesn't magically appears out of thin air.
Oh really?

Are you sure?

Darn, so much for my understanding of things
Old Dec 7, 2012, 10:05 AM   #17
MAFAv8r
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostface147 View Post
LOL, how many iPhoto updates have there been this year alone?
MAFAv8r is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14, 2012, 10:39 AM   #18
jgrundfast
macrumors newbie

Master Slides?

Is anyone else getting the issue that the master slide items are being sent to the back of the page?
jgrundfast is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4, 2012, 03:35 PM   #19
zin
macrumors 6502

The iWork apps for Mac need a complete overhaul, in my opinion. I think that Microsoft did a great job with the ribbon interface; it really fits well for productivity.
zin is offline   24 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4, 2012, 03:41 PM   #20
AppliedMicro
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by zin View Post
The iWork apps for Mac need a complete overhaul, in my opinion
What do you think is missing?
Sure, Pages uses something like an inspector window instead of ribbons but is that necessarily bad?
AppliedMicro is offline   8 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4, 2012, 03:45 PM   #21
wizard
macrumors 68040

Nice, compatibility with Excellent needed lots of fixing.

However Numbers needs a far more significant update if it is to remain viable. It is just to lacking in programability and as such needs a built in scripting environment.
wizard is offline   7 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4, 2012, 03:52 PM   #22
newagemac
macrumors 68000

I bet Mac iWork isn't going to get a significant update until there is complete feature parity with the iOS versions so that iCloud syncing is perfect. Currently iCloud warns you that a duplicate has to be created if you want to open a file when certain features are used that the iOS versions don't support. It is pretty rare recently with Pages but Keynote needs more work.

That being said, Page, Keynote, and Numbers are some amazingly well done applications on iOS. One of the reasons I could never switch to Android and the abomination that is Google Docs on mobile devices.
newagemac is offline   6 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4, 2012, 03:57 PM   #23
zin
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by AppliedMicro View Post
Sure, Pages uses something like an inspector window instead of ribbons but is that necessarily bad?
Pages also uses horribly inefficient menus for advanced tools; most of those are readily available (and easily found, I might add) within the ribbon bar in Microsoft Word.

In addition, Pages lacks real-time previews for changes you make (e.g. in Word you can preview your font real-time in the selector, whereas you have to select the font, which closes the menu, and then re-open the menu to choose another font to try, in Pages). Sure, you could use the Font Book, but the interface for that is really tacky and horribly inefficient way of choosing your desired fonts.

I must admit though, if you know what you're doing, you can accomplish much better page layout documents in Pages than in Word, in my opinion, but it will take more time due to bad workflows in the application.
zin is offline   6 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4, 2012, 04:21 PM   #24
PsudoPowerPoint
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by AppliedMicro View Post
  • Software that helps make documents that look professional, even when the author is not an expert on professional document formatting
  • Smarter and easier use of styles to simplify the creation of documents with consistent styling that's easy to change globally
  • Automatically updating cross references for figures, tables and other numbered items
  • Smarter control of figure placement within documents e.g. figures are place d at the top or bottom of the first page where they are referenced
  • Captions that stay with figures and tables and never break to the next page
  • Headers and footers with content that are automatically set based on the content of the page (e.t. if a paragraph is labeled "confidential" that the word "confidential" shows up on the page or pages where that paragraph is printed)
  • The ability to hide notes and comments, spelling errors and grammar corrections, and to prevent changes to the document except when the document is opened with a password
  • Figures and tables that are automatically updated when the external "source" file is updated
  • Smarter tools for creating and formatting tables
  • Hyperlinks to and back-from figures, tables, table of contents and index items
PsudoPowerPoint is offline   12 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4, 2012, 05:12 PM   #25
iEdd
macrumors 68000

Send a message via AIM to iEdd
Quote:
Originally Posted by PsudoPowerPoint View Post
  • Software that helps make documents that look professional, even when the author is not an expert on professional document formatting
  • Smarter and easier use of styles to simplify the creation of documents with consistent styling that's easy to change globally
  • Automatically updating cross references for figures, tables and other numbered items
  • Smarter control of figure placement within documents e.g. figures are place d at the top or bottom of the first page where they are referenced
  • Captions that stay with figures and tables and never break to the next page
  • Headers and footers with content that are automatically set based on the content of the page (e.t. if a paragraph is labeled "confidential" that the word "confidential" shows up on the page or pages where that paragraph is printed)
  • The ability to hide notes and comments, spelling errors and grammar corrections, and to prevent changes to the document except when the document is opened with a password
  • Figures and tables that are automatically updated when the external "source" file is updated
  • Smarter tools for creating and formatting tables
  • Hyperlinks to and back-from figures, tables, table of contents and index items
Nailed it. Also want a good way to insert lists of figures and tables that you can then edit (e.g. caption says "Figure 1: <long description>", but the list just says "Figure 1: <brief description/title>". Oh and being able to number equations.

I wrote a thesis in Pages, and even with EndNote and MathType, it was a bit of a nightmare. Having to nudge tables onto the next page at the end and manually manage lists of tables and figures (with page numbers) is asking for trouble. Those things should be automatically updating and dynamic.

Sad, as it's so close to being a great product.
iEdd is offline   5 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion