Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > Mac Applications and Mac App Store

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Dec 4, 2012, 05:42 PM   #1
BilbooToo
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Moving iTunes Database from PC to Mac Mini (Library on NAS)

Hi,

Finally taken the plunge and moved from Windows to Apple, with the delivery today of a Mac Mini.

Pleased with the purchase and just setting everything up, plus getting use to the kit.

I want to move over my iTunes database from the PC to Mac, however the library is held on a Synology DS213+ NAS.

Any ideas on the best way to go about this?

Thanks in advance.

John.
BilbooToo is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4, 2012, 11:28 PM   #2
JoelBC
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by BilbooToo View Post
Hi,

Finally taken the plunge and moved from Windows to Apple, with the delivery today of a Mac Mini.

Pleased with the purchase and just setting everything up, plus getting use to the kit.

I want to move over my iTunes database from the PC to Mac, however the library is held on a Synology DS213+ NAS.

Any ideas on the best way to go about this?

Thanks in advance.

John.
I just went through this myself...the easiest way is simply to drag and drop the iTunes folder on the music icon is iTunes in OSX...though I did have other issues this part worked flawlessly...
JoelBC is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5, 2012, 02:53 AM   #3
BilbooToo
Thread Starter
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Hi JoelBC,

Thanks for the response.

Just to be clear, I point iTunes on the Mac to the same folder on the NAS as the PC iTunes, then just drag the files from the folder into the Mac iTunes?

What were the issues you experienced?

Thanks again

John
BilbooToo is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5, 2012, 03:45 AM   #4
LaunchpadBS
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: iLondon/iDurban
There's a migration assistant in OSX that you can use to migrate from a PC on the same network. Just saying.
__________________
Mac Mini i7 2012 - 13" MBP 2012 - iPhone 5 - iPod Shuffle - iPad Air - iPod Classic - ATV 2
LaunchpadBS is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5, 2012, 07:12 AM   #5
JoelBC
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by BilbooToo View Post
Hi JoelBC,

Thanks for the response.

Just to be clear, I point iTunes on the Mac to the same folder on the NAS as the PC iTunes, then just drag the files from the folder into the Mac iTunes?

What were the issues you experienced?

Thanks again

John
Careful here...the simplest thing to do assuming that you want to leave all of your music on the NAS is to:

1. Preference --> Advanced --> Point iTunes to your NAS folder.

2. File --> Add to Library....this will create the necessary links within iTunes so that your music shows up in iTunes...this is one of the ways in which iTunes for OS X differs from iTunes for Windows as in windows this step is NOT necessary.

Hope this helps...


Joel
JoelBC is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 9, 2012, 02:50 PM   #6
BilbooToo
Thread Starter
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Hi Joel,

Just been trying yours suggestion but having a few problems.

On my PC the iTunes pointer to the music database looks something like...

//DiskStation/music

However when I point iTunes on the Mac to the same place it shows...

//Volumes/music

No music can be found, and can't seem to change the pointer to match the PC.

Any ideas?

Thanks
John.
BilbooToo is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10, 2012, 03:20 AM   #7
LaunchpadBS
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: iLondon/iDurban
Have you updated your DSM?

Just curious cause I just did and now I can't see my files from OSX finder
__________________
Mac Mini i7 2012 - 13" MBP 2012 - iPhone 5 - iPod Shuffle - iPad Air - iPod Classic - ATV 2
LaunchpadBS is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 11, 2012, 05:18 AM   #8
JoelBC
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by BilbooToo View Post
Hi Joel,

Just been trying yours suggestion but having a few problems.

On my PC the iTunes pointer to the music database looks something like...

//DiskStation/music

However when I point iTunes on the Mac to the same place it shows...

//Volumes/music

No music can be found, and can't seem to change the pointer to match the PC.

Any ideas?

Thanks
John.
John:

Sorry to hear that you are having problems as I know how frustrating this can be....I would suggest the following which has always worked for me...

1. On your Mac delete the folder USER/ITUNES as it is not needed...

2. Restart your Mac

3. Mount your NAS share that contains your music

4. While holding down the OPTION key start iTunes...it will prompt you for a library...point towards your NAS drive and all should be good other than some of the cover art will not be imported which is a known bug with iTunes 11


Let me know how this works...


Joel
JoelBC is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > Mac Applications and Mac App Store

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Moving my itunes library from PC to NAS GIZBUG Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac 0 Jun 30, 2013 09:07 PM
Moving iTunes library from computer to NAS GIZBUG Mac Peripherals 2 Jun 29, 2013 01:27 PM
Moving iTunes library to NAS newtoiphonesdk Mac Applications and Mac App Store 0 Mar 7, 2013 01:48 PM
Moving iTunes library from PC to NAS then accessing Music on NAS from new MAC dtos01 Mac Applications and Mac App Store 3 Aug 13, 2012 09:41 PM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:58 PM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC