Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Apple TV and Home Theater

Old Dec 5, 2012, 12:42 AM   #1
Che Castro
macrumors 601

The Dark Knight Rises, did you buy the Blu-ray or 1080p iTunes ?

I'm undecided as to which one I should get

How's the iTunes quality ?

I already saw the movie in theaters but I wanna check it out again , I'm thinking just getting the iTunes 1080p version than next year around this time just buy the bluray for $5 Black Friday/cyber Monday type of sale , for my collection

I have Apple TV 3 , iPhone 5 , ipad mini

$19.99 seems like a reasonable price
Che Castro is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5, 2012, 12:57 AM   #2
eliehass
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Che Castro View Post
I'm undecided as to which one I should get

How's the iTunes quality ?

I already saw the movie in theaters but I wanna check it out again , I'm thinking just getting the iTunes 1080p version than next year around this time just buy the bluray for $5 Black Friday/cyber Monday type of sale , for my collection

I have Apple TV 3 , iPhone 5 , ipad mini

$19.99 seems like a reasonable price
I got the 1080p iTunes version, and the quality seems good to me.

As long as the video is in 1080p and has Closed Captions (sometimes I like to have them on if there is loud noise or I can't understand some dialog) I prefer getting the iTunes version over the Blu-Ray since with the iTunes version I can stream the content over iCloud from anywhere to any of my devices.
eliehass is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5, 2012, 03:06 AM   #3
Fernandez21
macrumors 68000

You can get the combo pack on amazon for $18.99 right now. It includes the blu-ray version, DVD, and ultra violet. And then you can always rip the DVD or blu ray and load it into iTunes. Never tried ultra violet though.
Fernandez21 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5, 2012, 07:39 AM   #4
Pyromonkey83
macrumors 6502

I got the Blu Ray last night at Wal-Mart and ripped it myself. I'm a complete nut about video and audio quality when it comes to movies I love though.
Pyromonkey83 is offline   6 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5, 2012, 08:41 AM   #5
BigStrip
macrumors newbie

You can't get dts sound off iTunes. But if you get the bluray, rip it with makemkv and play it with plex, you keep dts!
BigStrip is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5, 2012, 09:32 AM   #6
ECUpirate44
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyromonkey83 View Post
I got the Blu Ray last night at Wal-Mart and ripped it myself. I'm a complete nut about video and audio quality when it comes to movies I love though.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fernandez21 View Post
You can get the combo pack on amazon for $18.99 right now. It includes the blu-ray version, DVD, and ultra violet. And then you can always rip the DVD or blu ray and load it into iTunes. Never tried ultra violet though.
What do you guys use to rip bluray to your mac?
ECUpirate44 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5, 2012, 09:35 AM   #7
ProudLoz
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by ECUpirate44 View Post
What do you guys use to rip bluray to your mac?
Combination of MakeMKV and Handbrake, which is what I'm doing right now. It took roughly 7 hours to convert a 1080p file of The Dark Knight Rises!

So, with that in mind, I found it better to buy the Blu-Ray and rip my own 1080p version with a bit of higher bitrates for both the video and audio streams. Not to mention that I can also put subtitles myself.
ProudLoz is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 11, 2012, 01:36 AM   #8
charlituna
macrumors G3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fernandez21 View Post
I tried ultraviolet, hated it. Very thankful I got my brothers the Harry Potter films while they were still doing iTunes. I just wish Warner's would release the 'Creating' docus on iTunes. Same with the scads of lord of the Rings stuff

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeBlow74 View Post
I purchased Prometheus Blu-ray last night and downloaded the digital copy from iTunes just as an experiment. When I play the digital download through my AppleTV, I get Dolby Digital 5.1 bitstream only. The picture, on the other hand, is standard definition at best.
That's cause those copies are SD. No studio does HD digital copy freebies. Makes me wish Apple would do a movies upgrade like they did with iTunes Plus
charlituna is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 11, 2012, 02:59 AM   #9
Porco
macrumors 68000

The Blu-ray, I prefer a superior viewing and listening experience that doesn't take up GBs of disk space, use GBs of downloading and costs less money. Amazon Prime means I can get physical copies of movies within 24 hours if I want, so the 'convnience' barely makes any difference. I mean really the only difference to me is that I don't slow down my internet connection for a while after purchasing.

But fair play to anyone who finds iTunes movies so convenient they don't care about the disadvantages. I just hope all options are around until downloads are of the same quality as Blu-ray, or better.

Also, reading all the posts in this thread as being in Bane's voice is amusing
Old Dec 5, 2012, 09:25 AM   #10
bonbmdxman
macrumors newbie

I purchased the movie from iTunes in 1080p. I have been purchasing all of my movies from iTunes since they incorporated movies in iCloud. It's so convenient to have all of my movies available on all my devices. Plus, I like having no clutter with the physical blu-rays. I can just power up the apple tv and click on what i want to watch. The resolution of the 1080p iTunes movies is great in my opinion too!
bonbmdxman is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5, 2012, 09:30 AM   #11
HobeSoundDarryl
macrumors 68040

Buy the BD and actually own it.
Buy the iTunes version and it's only a "lifetime license."
BD can be sold, willed, given to someone else. iTunes file can't.

I won't even get into the better audio standards (much better than 1992's Dolby Digital) better video quality (much less compression on the BD), BD extras, etc. I'll just offer that iTunes 1080p with DD is not equal to BD 1080p with DTS Master or True HD, etc audio.

For those indifferent, buy the BD (probably save a few bucks), go to the trouble of creating an iTunes version and enjoy all the benefits of it in iTunes (and on your iDevices) plus all of the benefits of actually owning the movie instead of lifetime "renting" it. Once you have it in iTunes, file away the disc in long-term storage in case you ever have a hard drive(s) meltdown and it can also act as your last resort backup.

Last edited by HobeSoundDarryl; Dec 5, 2012 at 09:36 AM.
HobeSoundDarryl is offline   7 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5, 2012, 11:13 AM   #12
eswank
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonbmdxman View Post
I purchased the movie from iTunes in 1080p. I have been purchasing all of my movies from iTunes since they incorporated movies in iCloud. It's so convenient to have all of my movies available on all my devices. Plus, I like having no clutter with the physical blu-rays. I can just power up the apple tv and click on what i want to watch. The resolution of the 1080p iTunes movies is great in my opinion too!
I downloaded it from iTunes for the same reason as ^^^^
Old Dec 5, 2012, 11:23 AM   #13
ELMI0001
macrumors 6502

Bought it on iTunes but have not watched it yet.

Watch Lifehacker.com for iTunes gift card discounts. I bought the Best Buy black friday $100 iTunes card for $80. I basically get everything 20% off on iTunes. Therefore, I paid $18 for the HD Dark Knight Rises.

No need for the disc, I don't have a blu-ray player and don't plan to buy one if I don't need to.

Not concerned about reselling the movie or willing it to anyone.
Old Dec 5, 2012, 01:20 PM   #14
bushido
macrumors 603

i bought the BD, i dont like spending money on overpriced "files"

i'm "oldschool" that way and i'm not even that old
Old Dec 5, 2012, 01:22 PM   #15
NightStorm
macrumors 68000

And just as I posted my last response... Amazon.com posted the Indiana Jones Bluray Collection for $39.99. Guess I'll have another four movies to convert. =)
Netgear ReadyNAS Ultra 4+ (4x2TB)
NightStorm is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5, 2012, 02:19 PM   #16
Fernandez21
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by bushido View Post

Yeah, thats another reason I don't like buying my movies in iTunes, cant justify paying the same price as a blu ray, it should be cheaper seeing as there are no manufacturing, packaging, or shipping costs. I do rent from iTunes though.
Fernandez21 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2012, 01:43 AM   #17
locust76
macrumors 6502a

Quote:

You do know that on that BD there are... files... right?
locust76 is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15, 2013, 10:51 AM   #18
netdog
macrumors 603

Quote:

So you prefer to buy your overpriced files on an outdated optical disc.
Old Dec 6, 2012, 11:22 AM   #19
crzdcolombian
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by ELMI0001 View Post
Bought it on iTunes but have not watched it yet.

Watch Lifehacker.com for iTunes gift card discounts. I bought the Best Buy black friday $100 iTunes card for $80. I basically get everything 20% off on iTunes. Therefore, I paid $18 for the HD Dark Knight Rises.

No need for the disc, I don't have a blu-ray player and don't plan to buy one if I don't need to.

Not concerned about reselling the movie or willing it to anyone.
I got it for 18 bucks on blu ray with ultraviolet. Why is everyone obssessed with iTunes. I have gotten flixster to send me itunes copies of movies and they are sending me a iTunes copy of the new spiderman so i hope I can get them to send me a copy of Batman although it says it right on the back of the blu ray case NO ITUNES included so I might be out of luck on that
crzdcolombian is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 2012, 11:43 AM   #20
atandon
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by crzdcolombian View Post
I got it for 18 bucks on blu ray with ultraviolet. Why is everyone obssessed with iTunes. I have gotten flixster to send me itunes copies of movies and they are sending me a iTunes copy of the new spiderman so i hope I can get them to send me a copy of Batman although it says it right on the back of the blu ray case NO ITUNES included so I might be out of luck on that
Sorry but I didnt get that comment regarding flixster sending u itunes copies of movies. Can u elaborate

FWIW, I have a flixster account linked to my ultraviolet account

----------

I personally buy the blu ray disc after migrating to a projector setup at home

On my 90 inch screen, movie purchased via iTunes look softer
In fact vudu HDX streams also look better.

I personally would love to see iTunes supporting better quality streams. But I won't hold my breadth since I know that the number of folks using big screens are in the minority
atandon is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2012, 05:04 PM   #21
ELMI0001
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by crzdcolombian View Post
Not obsessed with iTunes.

I do not find myself borrowing DVD's to anyone and I like the idea of having the movie on all my devices.

When it was time to buy a media device do I want to buy a DVD player or an Apple TV? I choose the Apple TV. I see that as the way of the future. All previous forms of media have been replaced, the DVD is getting replaced.
Old Dec 7, 2012, 04:02 AM   #22
gmanist1000
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonbmdxman View Post
This is exactly what I did. I feel the same way too.
gmanist1000 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5, 2012, 11:21 AM   #23
NightStorm
macrumors 68000

Purchased it from iTunes. While I'm certainly capable of creating an great encode for my Apple environment using Handbrake, I've grown tired of going through the process. I've been at it for 5+ years now... through multiple re-encodes of DVDs, HDDVDs, and Blurays as the application capabilities (and my understanding of them) and the capability of my target devices (iPhone, iPad, AppleTV) has changed over time. I'm almost done with my latest re-encoding cycle to 1080p.

That said, if HRTF encoding (i.e. "Dolby Headphone") ever makes it into the application, I may have to reconsider my stance.
Netgear ReadyNAS Ultra 4+ (4x2TB)

Last edited by NightStorm; Dec 5, 2012 at 11:29 AM.
NightStorm is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 2012, 05:15 PM   #24
Che Castro
macrumors 601

Also bluray is gonna be around for a while but a better thing will come along & replace it , your going to have those bluray movies collecting dust
Like I do with my DVD movies & VHS
Che Castro is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 2012, 05:45 PM   #25
ASP272
macrumors 6502

Smile

If I want to own a movie I always buy the Blu-Ray that comes with the iTunes digital download. That way I have the best of both worlds. High end video and audio for my big bad Samsung TV and sound system and a digital iTunes version that streams to all my iOS devices via iCloud (and is always higher quality than my iPad 2 or iPhone 5 can display anyway! However I caught The Dark Knight Blu-Ray trilogy when it was on sale on Amazon for just $24 so I had to grab it. It comes with the Ultraviolet versions as well, though no iTunes. Still, I want to watch this series of movies with my big screen and big sound, not on a tiny iOS screen. But that's just me.

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Apple TV and Home Theater