Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook Air

Old Dec 5, 2012, 04:04 AM   #1
MikeTowers
macrumors newbie

VPN & Remote Desktop Issues

Hi,

Work have just bought me a new Mac Air which I want to use to connect via VPN and remote desktop to my work machine. I'm a software developer so I'm techie but I'm new to Mac's so please bare with me.

Anyway, I've downloaded the Microsoft remote desktop client for Mac and installed it. I've setup the VPN connection and test it and it says it's connected. However, when I try connecting to my work machine using the remote destop client and the IP address it says it can't connect.

At this point I'm a little stumped as I've already said I'm new to Mac's so I'm not really sure where to start looking. One thing though, I have an IPad 2 which I've setup the VPN on and I'm using the Mocha remote desktop client app to connect to my work machine so I'm reasonably confident it's not the VPN that's causing the issue but something to do with the Microsoft remote desktop client.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Mike
MikeTowers is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5, 2012, 04:05 AM   #2
GGJstudios
macrumors Westmere

I use TeamViewer, which is free for personal use and works with Windows, Mac OS X, Linux, Ubuntu, iPhone, iPad, etc. It's very secure and quite simple to set up and use (no messing around with ports), which comes in handy if providing remote support to those who aren't very computer literate. You can talk them through the setup on their end and be connected to them in less than a minute. I prefer it over LogMeIn because it includes free file transfers between computers, a feature I use frequently.
GGJstudios is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5, 2012, 04:13 AM   #3
MikeTowers
macrumors newbie

Hi,

Does TeamViewer need the remote machine to accept an invite like some of the apps I've looked at or is it a proper remote desktop client like the Microsoft client?

Mike
Old Dec 5, 2012, 04:15 AM   #4
GGJstudios
macrumors Westmere

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeTowers View Post
Hi,

Does TeamViewer need the remote machine to accept an invite like some of the apps I've looked at or is it a proper remote desktop client like the Microsoft client?

Mike
You can do it either way. You can require that the invite be accepted at the other end, or set it up with a predefined password and connect with no one at the other end. I've used it for years to support Windows and Mac users.
GGJstudios is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5, 2012, 08:23 AM   #5
MikeTowers
macrumors newbie

And will TeamViewer work ok through our company vpn or is http based?
Old Dec 5, 2012, 08:27 AM   #6
maflynn

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeTowers View Post
And will TeamViewer work ok through our company vpn or is http based?
Its http based and you'll need to install something on the other computer to work.

Unlike RDP which is built into windows other remote control apps need to install a small app to allow the communications.

I'd be careful of installing any product on your work computer or server as it might violate company guidelines.

As for your problems looks like the VPN may not be fully working. Can you access your company's intranet once you have the VPN up? I use VPN and can use RDP to access the servers to which I'm responsible.
maflynn is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook Air