Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad

Old Dec 5, 2012, 08:03 AM   #1
KiranB
macrumors member

iPad 4G has practically replaced my MacBook!

Got my ipad 4 LTE two weeks ago, and since that day I haven't even used by MacBook it has been well and truly neglected ... The ipad is amazing and does everything plus more .. Are any of you finding that you use your ipad more than your laptop or desktop?
KiranB is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5, 2012, 08:07 AM   #2
Beeplance
macrumors 65816

Congratulations.

What about typing and editing word docs and powerpoint slides?
Beeplance is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5, 2012, 08:12 AM   #3
yinz
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beeplance View Post
Congratulations.

Some people just don't use computers for that stuff..
yinz is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5, 2012, 08:13 AM   #4
ZBoater
macrumors 604

I do. I only use my MBA when I need to do something the iPad can't do, like rip a DVD, run Quicken for Windows, update the firmware on one of my gadgets, etc. But 90% of my usage is all iPad, including minor edits to my websites (with Gusto), email, browsing, light gaming, watching all 7 seasons of Star Trek Voyager through Amazon instant video, and much more.
Old Dec 5, 2012, 08:18 AM   #5
dinggus
Banned

Quote:
Congratulations.

CloudOn Iran awesome program to use when typing or editing Word documents.
dinggus is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5, 2012, 08:22 AM   #6
KiranB
macrumors member

Quote:
Congratulations.

I got an app called documents it was a free app .. It does word docs and spreadsheets which is all I pretty much use.. However there is the iWorks package which may be useful for you? ... I used to use my macbook to stream Alot of tv shows however I now use the puffin browser on the ipad to watch these flash videos!
KiranB is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5, 2012, 08:30 AM   #7
wrkactjob
Banned

How do you download torrent files?
wrkactjob is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5, 2012, 09:48 AM   #8
GraphicsGeek
macrumors 6502a

I immediately sold my 17" MacBook Pro when I got an iPad and replaced it with an iMac. The only reason I have a regular computer is because I am a freelance graphic designer. So my iMac handles all of the heavy work while my iPad mini is for everything else.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrkactjob View Post
How do you download torrent files?
I dload torrents from my iPad using uTorrent on my iMac. I set it up to watch a specific DropBox folder for .torrent files. On my iPad when I download a torrent I save it to that DropBox folder and uTorrent on my iMac sees it in that folder and begins downloading it.
GraphicsGeek is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 2012, 04:17 PM   #9
jomirrivera
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by GraphicsGeek View Post
I immediately sold my 17" MacBook Pro when I got an iPad and replaced it with an iMac. The only reason I have a regular computer is because I am a freelance graphic designer. So my iMac handles all of the heavy work while my iPad mini is for everything else.

I dload torrents from my iPad using uTorrent on my iMac. I set it up to watch a specific DropBox folder for .torrent files. On my iPad when I download a torrent I save it to that DropBox folder and uTorrent on my iMac sees it in that folder and begins downloading it.
I want to do this, how do I setup uTorrent to do that?
jomirrivera is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 27, 2012, 08:05 PM   #10
haruhiko
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by GraphicsGeek View Post

Wow thanks this is useful!
Old Dec 5, 2012, 11:26 AM   #11
MacIke
macrumors regular

Quote:
Congratulations.

I have stopped (for the most part) using my Mac Book Pro for the most part in favor of my iPad 1.

I use my computer for DVD conversions, making keynotes, and holding music, apps, movies, and TV shows for my iPad and iPhone. I do the majority of my writing on my iPad with a keyboard.

Keynotes (powerpoints) are the real problem.
Old Dec 5, 2012, 10:09 PM   #12
silver8ack
macrumors regular

Quote:
Congratulations.

What about a keyboard?
silver8ack is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 8, 2012, 03:56 AM   #13
haruhiko
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Congratulations.

the iPad is an excellent presentation tool. I made slides for a 2 hour presentation solely on my iPad and the result was amazing. Keynote even can simulate laser pointers, I love it. The recent update of the iWork suite for iOS includes better support for MS Office. I really love it.
Old Dec 5, 2012, 11:25 AM   #14
SnowLeopard OSX
macrumors 6502a

iPad is great, but when it comes to the use of really heavy applications, computer programs, and games - laptops and desktops are irreplaceable. I also prefer typing long documents on my laptop and even more so on my desktop - although, I don't have an attachable keyboard for my iPad.
iPhone |4S White/16GB/ iOS 7.0|3G White/16GB iOS 8.0
SnowLeopard OSX is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5, 2012, 01:43 PM   #15
h1r0ll3r
macrumors 68040

Since getting my iPad, I do find myself using my MBP significantly less than before. My MBP is essentially my portable desktop which houses all my files. I do my work on my MBP as well as any photo editing and such on it. For the casual web browsing/gaming/screwing around, iPad has taken pole position in that aspect. I'm starting to use my iPad more for entertainment purposes like watching Hulu, NBC app, YouTube etc which has become quite addicting to say the least. Now that I have an iPad, don't think I'll be without one in the future. This thing is just way too useful/fun to pass up
Old Dec 5, 2012, 05:33 PM   #16
token787
macrumors regular

I bought my Ipad 4 in November and have not once used my MacBook Pro. I will take my IPad everywhere with me before I take my purse. roflol
token787 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5, 2012, 10:53 PM   #17
trvsglr
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KiranB View Post
Got my ipad 4 LTE two weeks ago, and since that day I haven't even used by MacBook it has been well and truly neglected ... The ipad is amazing and does everything plus more .. Are any of you finding that you use your ipad more than your laptop or desktop?
When I bought my first iPad I used it so much, I got rid of my laptop. I still have my desktop, I pretty much just use that for back ups of my IOS devices.
trvsglr is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5, 2012, 11:02 PM   #18
raccoonboy
macrumors 6502a

I still use my laptop for downloading movies via utorrents. But thats all it is for.

Other tasks, i use Ipad. Wouldn't call it a replacement because i still prefer using optic mouse for navigating browser.

Ipad 65/ Laptop 35
raccoonboy is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 2012, 01:15 AM   #19
nightlong
macrumors 6502a

I bought MBA instead of rMBP and instead of waiting for new iMac because the iPad2 had reduced use of computers to roughly half the time.

Now have ipad4, love it, the screen and everything else, use it for everything it can do, computers for the rest.
Old Dec 6, 2012, 11:38 AM   #20
djransom
macrumors 68040

I only use my MB to DJ with and update my apps. Besides that, it's iPad for everything else. I'm actually ordering an iPad 4 LTE next week.
Old Dec 6, 2012, 03:07 PM   #21
Fruit Cake
macrumors 6502a

My galaxy note 2 replaced my iPhone 4S/5 and my N7, iPad 4 replaced my ipad3, and the mini... Well I just can't get used to the screen ><
Fruit Cake is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5, 2012, 10:59 PM   #22
Zwhaler
macrumors 603

Cool, OP. Galaxy Note 2 replaced my iPad O.o
Old Dec 8, 2012, 01:29 AM   #23
Tulani
macrumors 6502

iPad most convenient when lying in bed
Tulani is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 8, 2012, 07:48 PM   #24
entatlrg
macrumors Demi-God

For absorbing content the iPad is hard to beat. For creating content, if you want to do things slower and more inefficiently, sure, use an iPad.

My MacBook and iPad compliment each other perfectly, one does not replace the other. The fad will wear off

A 11" MacBook Air, with retina display, 10 hour battery and 4G would be amazing for productivity.
entatlrg is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 8, 2012, 10:22 PM   #25
xEnOnn
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulani View Post
iPad most convenient when lying in bed
Seriously? With that weight your hands while lying on the bed? I tried holding the iPad in the stores and have found it to be somewhat heavy. It isn't incredibly heavy like a the weight of a laptop, but the weight can tired my hands after some time.
xEnOnn is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad