Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bbplayer5

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Apr 13, 2007
Seems nearly ALL of my pictures have that purple glare effect on it. I cant take a single picture reliable without going through hoops indoors with overhead lighting.

I can take the same pictures with the GS3 without any issue and they come out better.

Is there some kinda filter you can put over the lens? I tried that case that supposedly reduces it - doesnt work.

At this point im about to sell the phone because my camera is important and that purple hue is irritating.

Prime85

macrumors 6502a
Mar 1, 2012
Seems nearly ALL of my pictures have that purple glare effect on it. I cant take a single picture reliable without going through hoops indoors with overhead lighting.

I can take the same pictures with the GS3 without any issue and they come out better.

Is there some kinda filter you can put over the lens? I tried that case that supposedly reduces it - doesnt work.

At this point im about to sell the phone because my camera is important and that purple hue is irritating.

Maybe its has a defective camera. I have tried numerous times to get the purple glare with my iPhone 5 and i have not been able to replicate it.

BFizzzle

macrumors 68020
May 31, 2010
Austin TX
Maybe its has a defective camera. I have tried numerous times to get the purple glare with my iPhone 5 and i have not been able to replicate it.

i have no problem making it appear on mine, but its seriously a matter of millimeters.

OP.. try looking at the pic before you take it?? ;)

Prime85

macrumors 6502a
Mar 1, 2012
i have no problem making it appear on mine, but its seriously a matter of millimeters.

OP.. try looking at the pic before you take it?? ;)

Ok i see it now, You have to put the light source right outside of the view of the camera and it shows up. But it is barley noticeable and the light has to be directly outside of the view of the camera or it goes away.

Very interesting. Doesn't really affect the picture much and its very easy to avoid since you see it before actually taking the picture.

2012-12-05%2015.31.26.jpg

Steevie

macrumors regular
Nov 27, 2012
Unless this is happening in all your photos regardless of light source than you have an issue. if not then this issue has been discussed thoroughly.

Jordan921

macrumors 603
Jul 7, 2010
Bay Area
If its happening to all your photos I'd suggest making an appointment at the apple store because your camera is defective.

Prime85

macrumors 6502a
Mar 1, 2012
I agree with the two previous posts, if it is happening to every photo like you said then something is wrong. Get it exchanged, and if its still within the 30 days they can't deny it to you or you can just return and purchase a new one.

Beeplance

macrumors 68000
Jul 29, 2012
I thought the purple glare issue happens to most camera phones out there as well. Some even reported that the 4S had it as well, but the issue wasn't that overblown back then.

Prime85

macrumors 6502a
Mar 1, 2012
I thought the purple glare issue happens to most camera phones out there as well. Some even reported that the 4S had it as well, but the issue wasn't that overblown back then.

Yea it's a little overblown, it only happens when I am trying to make it show up. So since the OP says it happens in all his pictures then it must be a defect.

Beeplance

macrumors 68000
Jul 29, 2012
Yea it's a little overblown, it only happens when I am trying to make it show up. So since the OP says it happens in all his pictures then it must be a defect.

I guess...

Must have been a pain in the ass if whenever you took a picture and there's a purple tint to it. If it happened to me, I would've changed it asap.

rtomyj

macrumors 6502a
Sep 3, 2012

You know what's more annoying than a purple hue across pics? A blue tinted screen on the SIII, haha. Honestly though I have nothing else to contribute here...

bbplayer5

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Apr 13, 2007
You know what's more annoying than a purple hue across pics? A blue tinted screen on the SIII, haha. Honestly though I have nothing else to contribute here...

You mean the hue you can fix with a simple free app on the android market?

Anyway. Its the overhead lighting where I work. Any picture I take that isnt angled downward has the hue from the lights on the ceiling. Literally EVERY picture. Im not going to post pictures because that would be frowned upon (where i work).

Either way, the entire top of the screen will be purple in most pictures due to the purple flare. It seems to be at its worst in doors. Outside, I can take a picture of anything and its fine.

Browns2212

macrumors regular
Dec 6, 2012
Orchard Park, NY
I get the purple hue on mine as well, but only when it's angled just at the right angle towards a bright light.

I just tilt the camera slightly and it goes away. It's not a "big deal" to me, but it is there sometimes.

Myiphone7

macrumors 6502a
Nov 18, 2010
Ok i see it now, You have to put the light source right outside of the view of the camera and it shows up. But it is barley noticeable and the light has to be directly outside of the view of the camera or it goes away.

Very interesting. Doesn't really affect the picture much and its very easy to avoid since you see it before actually taking the picture.

Wow please go to apple store no need to suffer with that glare. I have never ever had it not even once. Guess I lucked out maybe u will to changing it.

thadoggfather

macrumors P6
Oct 1, 2007
I've had some 5's where purple flaring is intense, and other's where it's almost not noticeable at all and you really have to be purposefully trying to shoot a purple flare picture, like my current one.

Most DN's I've seen exhibit it in the smallest way possible, just like a 4S I tried side-by-side. My F2 it flared in like at least a quarter of the photo and in a lot more situations.

On this DN that I'm pleased with, the ring around the sapphire cut out looks more pronounced ( can see the groove easier), and less flush with the glass.

Maybe that helps?

Damolee

macrumors 6502a
Nov 20, 2012
They all do it. It's the material used. The magic fix will be the iPhone 5S, infuriating but true.

Not a happy point n click camera on this phone now, unfortunately.

Prime85

macrumors 6502a
Mar 1, 2012
Wow please go to apple store no need to suffer with that glare. I have never ever had it not even once. Guess I lucked out maybe u will to changing it.

My phone is fine, it only does it if I purposely put the light right out of view.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.