Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Site and Forum Feedback

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Dec 5, 2012, 02:51 PM   #1
VulchR
macrumors 68000
 
VulchR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Scotland
Is downvoting on again?

I know there are threads about downvoting posts, but so far as I can tell they are locked. Recently I have seen a few posts with negative votes, so I wonder whether this feature will return (let me guess - Arn is experimenting....). If it's not back, then something might be wrong with the way the votes are tabulated (or perhaps a hack).
__________________
My first was a Mac+. Now I own an iPhone with 3.5x the pixels, a colour display, WiFi, 512x the RAM, >1500x the data storage, and 100x the speed. And it fits in the palm of my hand.
VulchR is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5, 2012, 02:53 PM   #2
GGJstudios
macrumors Westmere
 
Join Date: May 2008
No, it's not back on. What posts did you see with downvotes? They're most likely ones that were downvoted before that feature was removed.
GGJstudios is offline   6 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5, 2012, 02:54 PM   #3
simsaladimbamba
Guest
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: located
Look at the dates of those posts, as it is most likely, that those posts were made in those dark times of passive aggressiveness.
simsaladimbamba is offline   16 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5, 2012, 02:58 PM   #4
VulchR
Thread Starter
macrumors 68000
 
VulchR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Scotland
I thought they were recent - but perhaps not because I cannot find any instances now. I just finished a long, 11-hour day at work so maybe my brain is fried (and no, I have not been drinking). Apologies...
__________________
My first was a Mac+. Now I own an iPhone with 3.5x the pixels, a colour display, WiFi, 512x the RAM, >1500x the data storage, and 100x the speed. And it fits in the palm of my hand.
VulchR is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2012, 07:34 AM   #5
GoCubsGo
macrumors Nehalem
 
GoCubsGo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by VulchR View Post
I thought they were recent - but perhaps not because I cannot find any instances now. I just finished a long, 11-hour day at work so maybe my brain is fried (and no, I have not been drinking). Apologies...
The thread could have recent replies but the down voting isn't back. I noticed the threads as well; recent posts and not so recent down voting.
GoCubsGo is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2012, 12:19 PM   #6
Scepticalscribe
Contributor
 
Scepticalscribe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Kite flying
I have noticed this, too, but (on subsequently checking the dates for the relevant posts) realised that the posts in question had been submitted while that unpleasant feature existed - as simsaladimbamba has so well expressed it, 'in the dark days of passive aggressiveness', - and that whatever thread they have appeared in has since been resurrected by others, in more recent times.
Scepticalscribe is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 2013, 04:42 PM   #7
Spectrum Abuser
macrumors 65816
 
Spectrum Abuser's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Downvoting was a handy feature. It showed which posts were generally out of sync with the rest of the thread without having to actually read them. Several of my posts were downvoted quite a bit, but I still enjoyed the option.
__________________
iPad Mini Retina 16GB WiFi - iPhone 4 16GB (AT&T) - 21.5" iMac 2.5Ghz i5 (2011)
Spectrum Abuser is offline   14 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 2012, 11:50 AM   #8
blueroom
macrumors 603
 
blueroom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Toronto, Canada
Rather than downvoting I wish the site allowed personal notes under the username vs having the 6502 flotsam.
Then I could root out the trolls.
__________________
My iOS devices are not jailbroken.
Bill
My Blog
blueroom is offline   6 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10, 2013, 09:34 AM   #9
aliensporebomb
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Minneapolis, MN, USA, Urth
Send a message via AIM to aliensporebomb Send a message via Yahoo to aliensporebomb Send a message via Skype™ to aliensporebomb
Good call!

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueroom View Post
Rather than downvoting I wish the site allowed personal notes under the username vs having the 6502 flotsam.
Then I could root out the trolls.
A forum I'm on has a "karma vote" so you can "applaud" or "smite" someone. Luckily there's not a lot of smiting going on, just applauding.
__________________
ASB Music Web is at http://www.aliensporebomb.com/
"This is Aliensporebomb" (a soundtrack with no film) is available at http://itunes.apple.com/us/album/thi...mb/id391880218
aliensporebomb is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10, 2013, 10:42 AM   #10
Jimbo47
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
I used to Admin a board that had a reputation system. In your post bit, it showed either green squares (up to 10ish, the more you had, the better "reputation" you had) or red squares (obviously means a bad reputation). Users could leave feedback for your posts, where only you could view what each one said through the User CP. The more reputation you had, the more of an effect you would have when leaving feedback. There were limits set on this though. You could only leave 5 feedbacks in a 24 hour period to avoid abuse.
Jimbo47 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2013, 02:55 AM   #11
mrsir2009
macrumors 604
 
mrsir2009's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueroom View Post
Rather than downvoting I wish the site allowed personal notes under the username vs having the 6502 flotsam.
Then I could root out the trolls.
But defeats the purpose of the internet - A place where anyone can say anything and not have to deal with the consequences
mrsir2009 is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2013, 07:22 AM   #12
blueroom
macrumors 603
 
blueroom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Toronto, Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsir2009 View Post
But defeats the purpose of the internet - A place where anyone can say anything and not have to deal with the consequences
It's a personal reminder, only I could see it. It doesn't limit what a person can post.

A hover over popup note would be fantastic, I wonder if there's a third party app?

PS if there were no consequences then we wouldn't have banned members.
__________________
My iOS devices are not jailbroken.
Bill
My Blog
blueroom is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 13, 2013, 03:43 PM   #13
charlieegan3
macrumors 68020
 
charlieegan3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: U.K
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueroom View Post
Rather than downvoting I wish the site allowed personal notes under the username vs having the 6502 flotsam.
Then I could root out the trolls.
I would quite like a thanked feature like many other sites have (on top of like/upvote).
__________________
www.charlieegan3.com
charlieegan3 is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 2012, 05:10 PM   #14
txr0ckabilly
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Southwest Louisiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by simsaladimbamba View Post
Look at the dates of those posts, as it is most likely, that those posts were made in those dark times of passive aggressiveness.
your "Let" is 404
__________________
-Billy
txr0ckabilly is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2012, 06:32 AM   #15
Mr. Retrofire
macrumors 601
 
Mr. Retrofire's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: www.emiliana.cl
Quote:
Originally Posted by VulchR View Post
Is downvoting on again?
No. Thank god!

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by simsaladimbamba View Post
...in those dark times of passive aggressiveness.
;-)
__________________

“Only the dead have seen the end of the war.”
-- Plato --
Mr. Retrofire is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 2013, 04:55 PM   #16
marc11
macrumors 68000
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: NY USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by ucfgrad93 View Post
Agreed. It is an option that I miss a great deal.
Its also one that people abused to be spiteful if they did not agree with your comment and or for almost any comment anti Apple. It often served to escalate in thread arguments too as most people are not mature enough to give nor accept the negative dings.
__________________
Various Apple Products
marc11 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12, 2013, 08:01 PM   #17
Tilpots
macrumors 68040
 
Tilpots's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Carolina Beach, NC
The lack of down voting is silly if there's an up vote. One voting option is asinine. Why don't you just put rainbows in every post? Unicorns would be nice, too.
Tilpots is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 13, 2013, 09:41 AM   #18
annk
Administrator
 
annk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Somewhere over the rainbow
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tilpots View Post
The lack of down voting is silly if there's an up vote. One voting option is asinine. Why don't you just put rainbows in every post? Unicorns would be nice, too.
That's what I was addressing in my previous post:

Quote:
Originally Posted by annk View Post
...The up-voting gives members the possibility to say they agree, in cases they don't really have anything else to say, but without cluttering up threads with "+1" posts. If you disagree with what someone writes, you can either take the time to say so (constructively) in a post, or move on.
If you want to disagree with a post, it's much more constructive to do it with a sentence or two where you say something about why you disagree.
annk is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 13, 2013, 10:17 AM   #19
Tilpots
macrumors 68040
 
Tilpots's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Carolina Beach, NC
Quote:
Originally Posted by annk View Post
That's what I was addressing in my previous post:



If you want to disagree with a post, it's much more constructive to do it with a sentence or two where you say something about why you disagree.
You could and should say the same for the up vote. It's no different.
Tilpots is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 13, 2013, 10:41 AM   #20
GGJstudios
macrumors Westmere
 
Join Date: May 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tilpots View Post
You could and should say the same for the up vote. It's no different.
Yes, it is different. It is evident why someone agrees with a post: because they agree with what was stated. It is not evident why someone disagrees. Did they disagree because they don't like the poster? Because something in the post wasn't factual? If so, what part wasn't factual and what is the correct information? Because it challenges their personal opinion? An opposing opinion calls for an explanation. To explain why you agree is usually redundant.
GGJstudios is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 13, 2013, 02:56 PM   #21
Tilpots
macrumors 68040
 
Tilpots's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Carolina Beach, NC
Quote:
Originally Posted by GGJstudios View Post
Yes, it is different. It is evident why someone agrees with a post: because they agree with what was stated. It is not evident why someone disagrees. Did they disagree because they don't like the poster? Because something in the post wasn't factual? If so, what part wasn't factual and what is the correct information? Because it challenges their personal opinion? An opposing opinion calls for an explanation. To explain why you agree is usually redundant.
No, I disagree. Which part of the post did you agree with? Why? Does it confirm some belief you also hold. Do you just like that poster? Did you think what they said was funny?

The up vote alone is a cop out. Imagine the iTMS App Store with only five star ratings. It's pointless and absurd. It's clapping with one hand.
Tilpots is offline   4 Reply With Quote


Reply
MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Site and Forum Feedback

Tags
downvoting

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Bring back downvoting button Confuzzzed Site and Forum Feedback 1 Jul 17, 2012 11:10 AM
Voting system: remove downvoting please leman Site and Forum Feedback 1 Jul 10, 2012 10:06 PM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:30 PM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC