Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

narutoninjakid

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 6, 2012
New Jersey
Hey guys, I'm new to the forum and have not really used an IOS device in a while. I used to have an iPod touch 4g but it got stolen over a year ago and I’ve been using Android Devices ever since. I'm not a Hardcore android fan either I just never really had the money to replace it (I’m in college and I don't have a job). Nevertheless, I’ve wanted the uniformity of iOS for a while and I was on eBay the other day and saw an iPad 2 3g + Wi-Fi 64 GB for $200. I was like that seems like a really good deal considering the only thing wrong with it was that the screen was broken. So I took my HP Touchpad and sold it on eBay for $155 dollars and then purchased the iPad 2. I figured I could replace the screen and have a good iPad for under $300. I checked around and saw that the 16gb iPad 2 was still selling for like $350-$400 new. So I was pretty happy I got 3 times the space for less money. I was wondering however as newer and newer iPads keep coming out will the iPad 2 be able to keep getting updates from Apple as well as play newer games and apps. Anyway thanks and post your opinions.

clyde2801

macrumors 601
Apple is still selling the iP2 at the Apple Store, I would guess it'll still qualify for at least one more iOS update, otherwise a lot of people are going to be very upset.

There's a lot of them, and again, they're still being sold. People selling apps want the market for them to be as large as possible, so-except for maybe the most cutting edge games-you should be safe for the near future.

Excellent buy, good luck with the screen repair! I'd make sure the wifi and 3g works before you walk out of the repair shop with it.

narutoninjakid

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 6, 2012
New Jersey
Apple is still selling the iP2 at the Apple Store, I would guess it'll still qualify for at least one more iOS update, otherwise a lot of people are going to be very upset.

There's a lot of them, and again, they're still being sold. People selling apps want the market for them to be as large as possible, so-except for maybe the most cutting edge games-you should be safe for the near future.

Excellent buy, good luck with the screen repair! I'd make sure the wifi and 3g works before you walk out of the repair shop with it.

I found a repair place that does it for $65.00 dollars. I'll pay $75 though so that i can have the screen and home button replaced with black instead. Plus, Thanks for the Tip of checking WiFi before leave!

barkomatic

macrumors 601
Aug 8, 2008
Manhattan
Should i sell it for an iPad 3 32gb ? Im not sure?? or should I try it out first ?

If the total cost of your iPad 2 was $275 -- that's an excellent price. You could probably sell it for more than that and pick up a refurb iPad 3. The retina screen makes a big, big difference. If you use cellular data, the LTE is a big upgrade as well.

However, you'll also be fine with the iPad you got.

narutoninjakid

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 6, 2012
New Jersey
If the total cost of your iPad 2 was $275 -- that's an excellent price. You could probably sell it for more than that and pick up a refurb iPad 3. The retina screen makes a big, big difference. If you use cellular data, the LTE is a big upgrade as well.

However, you'll also be fine with the iPad you got.

there selling the one i got on ebay for like $400 - $500. i guess im just one of those tech fenes that feels that i have to have somewhat the best. i might try the iPad 2 out for a while but i think the longer i have it the price will probably go down. Plus, i don't use cellular data at all that was just a plus. just gonna use WiFi.

darngooddesign

macrumors P6
Jul 4, 2007
Atlanta, GA
I have a launch-day iPad 2, and it still handles everything I want it to. I have yet to experience the annoyances that usually motivate an upgrade.

Medic311

macrumors 68000
Jul 30, 2011
with the way apple is heading with their iOS versions, why would you even want to upgrade?

iOS 5.1.1 with jailbreak will probably be the most useful iOS for the next 2 years

bufffilm

Suspended
May 3, 2011
iOS 5.1.1 with jailbreak will probably be the most useful iOS for the next 2 years

i plan to keep my ipad2 on the 5.1.1 JB until likely forever, unless there is an app that i really need. even if an iOS6 JB becomes available, it's not an automatic that i'd upgrade to it.

the OP mentioned that he plays games and that might eventually be a factor. i noticed that the game 'Cut the Rope" is only available for iOS6. [saw this game demo'd on an infomercial and was surprised to find that it wasn't available on iOS5.]

narutoninjakid

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 6, 2012
New Jersey
i plan to keep my ipad2 on the 5.1.1 JB until likely forever, unless there is an app that i really need. even if an iOS6 JB becomes available, it's not an automatic that i'd upgrade to it.

the OP mentioned that he plays games and that might eventually be a factor. i noticed that the game 'Cut the Rope" is only available for iOS6. [saw this game demo'd on an infomercial and was surprised to find that it wasn't available on iOS5.]

Yeah stuff like that really gets me. I want to be able to play every game like infinity blade and graphics rich games. I don't mind if it doesn't look as good I just want access.

----------

I hope it's on a jailbreakable firmware I always jailbreak my iOS devices. I was just reading an article that said jailbreaking will or is illegal. Does that mean they will stop making jailbreaks ?

Brian Y

macrumors 68040
Oct 21, 2012
Yeah stuff like that really gets me. I want to be able to play every game like infinity blade and graphics rich games. I don't mind if it doesn't look as good I just want access.

Unfortunately, if you stay on an old software version you'll slowly lose access to more and more apps, as they take advantage of new APIs.

It only takes the use of one new API from iOS6 to render al older versions incompatible.

narutoninjakid

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 6, 2012
New Jersey
Well ipad is in the mail should arrive Saturday. Then off to the shop. Should I stick with white or have them swap to black for 10 extra bucks.

----------

Unfortunately, if you stay on an old software version you'll slowly lose access to more and more apps, as they take advantage of new APIs.

It only takes the use of one new API from iOS6 to render al older versions incompatible.

I guess I won't know till it comes and I try to download some of the more popular games and apps.

rwilliams

macrumors 68040
Apr 8, 2009
Raleigh, NC
I use an iPad 2 every day. I do get the urge to get an iPad 4 for the Retina Display, but then I see the $499 price tag, and I realize that I can do without the fancy display for a while longer.

narutoninjakid

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 6, 2012
New Jersey
Its here!

it just came in the mail. mail man left it at the door, these people don't know people steal! The white colors not that bad but im still going for black. What features do you recommend i check to make sure its working ? also app recommendations would be appreciated.

SHirsch999

macrumors 6502a
Apr 19, 2011

This shouldn't be a problem if you don't update the apps. Once the time comes where the apps require a newer version of iOS than you have on the device just stop updating the apps. They will still be as useful as before, just not up-to-date.

raccoonboy

macrumors 6502a
Oct 22, 2012
Bought brand new 16G Ipad 2 for about 4 months. So glad i didn't buy the 3 because i dont really see big diff in screen clarity but this is just me.

Ipad 2 still on Apple site but 3 is now gone. Up to now still best sale Ipad so i think you can stick with it for at least another year or so. If Cook dont go crazy and release the 5 next May.

WhiteIphone5

macrumors 65816
May 27, 2011
Lima, Peru
Hey guys, I'm new to the forum and have not really used an IOS device in a while. I used to have an iPod touch 4g but it got stolen over a year ago and I’ve been using Android Devices ever since. I'm not a Hardcore android fan either I just never really had the money to replace it (I’m in college and I don't have a job). Nevertheless, I’ve wanted the uniformity of iOS for a while and I was on eBay the other day and saw an iPad 2 3g + Wi-Fi 64 GB for $200. I was like that seems like a really good deal considering the only thing wrong with it was that the screen was broken. So I took my HP Touchpad and sold it on eBay for $155 dollars and then purchased the iPad 2. I figured I could replace the screen and have a good iPad for under $300. I checked around and saw that the 16gb iPad 2 was still selling for like $350-$400 new. So I was pretty happy I got 3 times the space for less money. I was wondering however as newer and newer iPads keep coming out will the iPad 2 be able to keep getting updates from Apple as well as play newer games and apps. Anyway thanks and post your opinions.

came out over a year ago dude, im sure it still got one or two iOS updates to go.

scupking

macrumors 6502a
Dec 14, 2010
Stick with the 2 until the iPad 5 comes out. The 2, 3 and the mini all run stuff about the same only difference is retina on the three. In all actuality the mini and iPad 2 are a little faster then the 3. The 4 kills them all by a lot.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.