Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old Dec 6, 2012, 08:18 AM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot

Tim Cook: 'Intense Interest' in Redefining the Television Experience

As part of its teaser for tonight's Rock Center interview with Apple CEO Tim Cook, NBC points quotes Cook as hinting that Apple is indeed focused very seriously on redefining television.
Quote:
What's next for Apple? Did Cook leave us with a clue?

"When I go into my living room and turn on the TV, I feel like I have gone backwards in time by 20 to 30 years," Cook told Williams. "It's an area of intense interest. I can't say more than that."
Cook's hint comes as Apple has reportedly been struggling to reach content deals that would allow it to create the revolutionary television experience it is looking for. Talks are said to be ongoing, but launches for any new Apple television products, which could include a set-top box or an Internet-connected television set, are said to not be imminent.

Article Link: Tim Cook: 'Intense Interest' in Redefining the Television Experience
MacRumors is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 2012, 08:21 AM   #2
Tilpots
macrumors 68040

Tuning in tonight, for sure. Well done NBC promo guy!
Tilpots is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 2012, 08:22 AM   #3
Allenbf
macrumors 6502

Ohhh man let it be.

If Apple can offer unbundled channels, I'm so in.
Old Dec 6, 2012, 08:22 AM   #4
bisnicks
macrumors regular

If that's not a hint, I don't know what is.
bisnicks is offline   12 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 2012, 08:22 AM   #5
jasonefmonk
macrumors member

That's pretty much a confirmation.
jasonefmonk is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 2012, 08:41 AM   #6
Yelmurc
macrumors regular

Tim Cook is such a tease.
Old Dec 6, 2012, 09:54 AM   #7
Mactendo
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacRumors View Post
"When I go into my living room and turn on the TV, I feel like I have gone backwards in time by 20 to 30 years," Cook told Williams.
What if he bought his TV set 30 years ago.
Mactendo is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 2012, 10:22 AM   #8
Edsel
macrumors regular

Am I the only neo-luddite?

I have not watched any commercial/broadcast/cableTV programming in twenty years. Occasionally I'll try to watch but my cable provider is constantly shifting and rearranging the channel lineup - we now have 3,500 digital channels with programming gaps and duplicates littered throughout the lineup. It's a huge mess that doesn't even begin to address the coffee table littered with remote controls.
Edsel is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 2012, 11:08 AM   #9
SpyderBite
macrumors 65816

Just loaded my Xfinity app to DVR it.
Old Dec 6, 2012, 12:01 PM   #10
kockgunner
macrumors 68000

If they have "intense interest" in redefining the TV experience but the Apple TV is a "hobby" are we going to see an Apple TV set?

I'm really interested to see what Apple will do in this space. Apple has lately turned to the strategy of getting people to upgrade because of software but no one wants to buy a new TV every year or even every 5 years. I always thought the Apple TV is a sensible device since it gives you an Apple experience and you don't have to upgrade the entire TV to update the software. At the same time, it's just another box in the living room and I'm not sure Apple can rely on only content to succeed.
kockgunner is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 2012, 02:23 PM   #11
cclloyd
macrumors 68000

What would be perfect is if it uses my existing xfinity service for TV,

Have channel 0 be Apple TV interface
Channel 1 be ondemand,
and so on for the normal channels.

Basically the TV setup I know and love, but with that apple flare, design, and UI, plus Apple TV built in.
cclloyd is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 2012, 04:06 PM   #12
Mike MA
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacRumors View Post
“When I go into my living room and turn on the TV, I feel like I have gone backwards in time by 20 to 30 years,” Cook told Williams. “It’s an area of intense interest. I can’t say more than that."
For the first time Tim sounds like Steve
Old Dec 6, 2012, 07:31 PM   #13
apolloa
macrumors 601

yyyyyyaaaaaaawwwwwwnnnnnnnnnn

blah blah blah blah... ALL Apple can do is give me a pretty interface and an iOS remote control for a huge cost. I'll take my Panasonic and next gen Xbox and Netflix instead thanks for less, and to get the content you need to compete with everyone else which I don't think they can or will.
Content is king and with the big providers investing in the making of that content as well as the delivery, Apple is going to have it's work more then cut out to do anything 'different'.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Compile 'em all View Post
Since when have Sony revolutionized anything since the Walkman?
hmmm Blueray? You know full HD 3D films and programmes capability in your own front room? Bag of hurt, if you say so, the consumer couldn't care and loves the fact you get that full HD 3D in the lounge.
Old Dec 7, 2012, 09:59 AM   #14
Bezetos
macrumors 6502a

"When I go into my living room and turn on the TV, I feel like I have gone backwards in time by 20 to 30 years"

I don't know. When I look at my internet enabled HD TV, I certainly don't feel like I've gone 20 to 30 years backwards in time. Now I can watch films in high definition, have a plethora of options when it comes to video on demand and social content, I can participate in interactive experiences, stream content from my devices etc..

I just can't see what Apple can "revolutionise" here and what do they find so old-school; Tim Cook just sounds cynical.

I'm open to ideas regarding what could be introduced to "bring TV back to the present".

----------

Quote:
Since when have Sony revolutionized anything since the Walkman?
How about:
compact discs (you know, the most popular discs on the planet),
DAT,
Blu ray discs?

----------

Quote:
One word: Siri.

The great thing about the TV is that it is always connected to power and network. Imagine if it detects via a motion sensor that you are in front of the TV and automatically activates Siri. Without a single press of a button.
You've heard about Kinect, right? You know, the device that does exactly that (except that it doesn't "activate Siri", you don't have to active voice recognition, it always listens)?
Bezetos is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 7, 2012, 10:13 AM   #15
APlotdevice
macrumors 68020

^ the CD certainly. However DAT was a niche format, and Blu-Ray is more evolution than revolution.

Last edited by APlotdevice; Dec 7, 2012 at 10:38 AM.
APlotdevice is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 2012, 08:28 AM   #16
JaySoul
macrumors 65816

"When I go into my living room and turn on the TV, I feel like I have gone backwards in time by 20 to 30 years," Cook told Williams.

Tune into NBC tonight(!)
JaySoul is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 2012, 08:30 AM   #17
HyperX13
macrumors 6502

Maybe Mr. Cook should finally hang up the rabbit ears antenna and try direct TV or Fios or something modern?
Old Dec 6, 2012, 08:32 AM   #18
newyorksole
macrumors 68020

if you still don't believe Apple is working on changing TV as we know it then you're in denial.
Old Dec 6, 2012, 08:35 AM   #19
TallManNY
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by newyorksole View Post
if you still don't believe Apple is working on changing TV as we know it then you're in denial.
Yes, but the point is are they trying to change it was software, itunes and a $100 hockey puck or are they trying to do it with those three things plus a $1,000 monitor.

The first one makes the most sense to me. I just don't see how they can get into the massive screen business and still keep their margins up.
TallManNY is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 2012, 08:56 AM   #20
newyorksole
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by TallManNY View Post
Yes, but the point is are they trying to change it was software, itunes and a $100 hockey puck or are they trying to do it with those three things plus a $1,000 monitor.

The first one makes the most sense to me. I just don't see how they can get into the massive screen business and still keep their margins up.
yeah that's what I'm most curious about. they won't really need a monitor though. they'd probably just sell a hockey puck with a subscription service. all through iTunes. I'm assuming that's another reason why they built all of those data centers.

although television interfaces are crappy, so they might just make their own set too.
Old Dec 6, 2012, 11:34 AM   #21
Liquorpuki
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by TallManNY View Post

They're trying to do it by changing the business model behind television using the internet as disruptive technology. Everyone talking about Apple killing the bundle is right and the TV hardware isn't important. It's the content distribution that's important.

TV is one of the last media markets whose distribution hasn't been disrupted by internet technology. Music was disrupted by iTunes. Books were disrupted by eBooks. Video rentals were disrupted by Netflix. Video Games were disrupted by digital downloads. TV is still the same as it was 30 years ago - consumers overpaying for bundled channels sent to their TV through redundant equipment. It's a golden opportunity for whoever can kill the bundle and Apple is one of the few companies with the clout to do it.
Old Dec 6, 2012, 08:36 AM   #22
eddieaus
macrumors regular

Don't think this iTV will save Apple from falling. TV set is completely different market, people don't change TV every two years.
eddieaus is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 2012, 08:42 AM   #23
peterdevries
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddieaus View Post
Don't think this iTV will save Apple from falling. TV set is completely different market, people don't change TV every two years.
Don't think a mobile phone will save Apple from falling.

Don't think a tablet computer will save Apple from falling.

Oh wait! Haven't you learned Apple does things differently? Do you really think that Apple executives don't know that people don't change their TV set every 2 years?
Old Dec 6, 2012, 08:50 AM   #24
derbladerunner
macrumors regular

Many asked before and I'll ask again: Why not let the user decide on a TV brand (be it current HDTVs or 4K TVs in the future)?

The TV is "dumb" in this scenario, all it does is display content via HDMI or wireless

I still think Apple should continue to focus on the AppleTV box and improve it. The user experience is great for setup, all it takes is a single HDMI cable and Apple can sell into millions of homes who already own HDTVs.

Apart from integrating a surround system into the TV like Bose did...

http://www.bose.com/controller?url=/...e_ii/index.jsp

...I don't see any advantage in Apple selling its own large TV sets. Just think of handling, shipping and storage of these sets in crowded Apple stores etc.

Microsoft has great ideas in this area with the Xbox360 and Kinect, the new Nintendo Wii U also has nice features (control TV with the gamepad, "second screen" info, metadata, EPG...).

Unfortunately, Apple is falling behind in the living room in my opinion.
derbladerunner is offline   6 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 2012, 08:46 AM   #25
DamonBowser
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddieaus View Post
Do people buy new mac pros, laptops, and ipods every two years? No! That would be crazy costly but, hey Apple still makes those products. An iTv would be a diffrent product than an iphone and apple knows this same as apple know everyone who bought the new imac won't buy the new imac in 2014.
DamonBowser is offline   3 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion